Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1269181 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - It's out! And there's a 4 pack
« Reply #1815 on: May 23, 2011, 06:48:40 am »

I don't think it would be possible to really regulate some finer rules in Terraria. The whole point is you have options, so....

Although a fresh start PvP game is going to have a completely different tone than just an open call. I'm not really interested in open characters, tbh. Someone will load up with dynamite and/or boots, have their fun and it will be old hat. And it will be on people's honor not to cheat and bring in stuff from other worlds and be total douches.

Oh, you mean we will be starting with fresh accounts? AWESOME! I am in for that! I meant is this arena going to be underground, or have sky access... But screw that, I want fresh accounts!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: May 23, 2011, 06:49:39 am »

I don't think it would be possible to really regulate some finer rules in Terraria. The whole point is you have options, so....

Although a fresh start PvP game is going to have a completely different tone than just an open call. I'm not really interested in open characters, tbh. Someone will load up with dynamite and/or boots, have their fun and it will be old hat. And it will be on people's honor not to cheat and bring in stuff from other worlds and be total douches.

Oh, you mean we will be starting with fresh accounts? AWESOME! I am in for that! I meant is this arena going to be underground, or have sky access... But screw that, I want fresh accounts!

Hmm.. is it possible to have two characters with the same name?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: May 23, 2011, 06:50:58 am »

Yes.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: May 23, 2011, 06:53:28 am »

Im in !!!
When we start :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: May 23, 2011, 06:54:35 am »

We probably shouldn't try any real structured PvP until a few more patches (like the one that will actually make CTF possible, although we could have a ghetto CTF too.)

I'd probably want a structured sort of list of players too, so we know who is who as best we can, there's some actual order and anyone that reads the thread, jumps in and starts being an asshat can get banned in good order.

Might also be a good idea if map builders don't play the map (I would be up for being a map builder.) Simply because we're going to want to use the map viewer, and knowledge will spoil the point of starting fresh characters. We could post a map view file that someone has editted in GIMP, so people can see where the bases are but not the cave systems and resources.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: May 23, 2011, 06:56:48 am »

I was thinking maybe a sort of deathball kind of game. There is a chest with an obsidian skull in in the middle of the map. 3 players per team and two referees (referees aren't PvP enabled). Players have to stop and throw the skull every time they get it (maybe allow SOME running?) until they get it to their base.

Etc etc.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: May 23, 2011, 06:59:27 am »

The possibilities are kind of endless. Thorn Chakram Cage of DEATH?!?!? We could practically make an American Gladiators Arena for Terraria :P
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: May 23, 2011, 07:20:22 am »

Wood bow only. No potions. Final destination.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: May 23, 2011, 07:25:47 am »

PVP with separate bases could be interesting, especially if we have two teams starting from scratch in separate locations. The problem there is that we'd keep respawning at the center of the map if we died, since beds are unsafe with the current version, unless you have them close enough to the default spawn point to not cause the server to crash (later). (Right now on the world I play on, we simply do not make beds at all, so I have no idea how close they'd have to be to be safe)

The host or map makers could build a complex at the center of the map for the NPCs to live in, and either provide some initial building materials and/or metal for the players, or not provide anything and leave it up to them to forage for it (but then depending on what they run into, such as corruption instead of a forest, that may lead to a disparity that determines how the game goes), who would head off in opposite directions to build their bases and equipment.

The question is, would that NPC complex be destroyable, or neutral ground, since everyone has to be able to interact with the NPCs? What tactics would be forbidden, if any? Building your own NPC rooms to try to obtain NPCs?

4 players on two teams is one possibility, unless you wanted someone acting as an observer / GM (It probably wouldn't be necessary). I don't see more than two teams working well due to the 2d nature of Terraria and especially the limited number of players.

Two threads on the official forum about the problem with beds:
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/so-i-thought-beds-were-fixed.9203/
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/terraria-server-crashes-upon-someone-connecting.5972/#post-114695

(Hopefully it gets fixed in the 1.0.2 patch)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: May 23, 2011, 07:27:51 am »

The possibilities are kind of endless. Thorn Chakram Cage of DEATH?!?!? We could practically make an American Gladiators Arena for Terraria :P

Pit of spikes from the dungeon, with single tile wide pillars rising up, no grapples, cobalt shield or rocket boots allowed. GO DEATH PIT MATCH!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: May 23, 2011, 07:29:58 am »

The question is, would that NPC complex be destroyable, or neutral ground, since everyone has to be able to interact with the NPCs? What tactics would be forbidden, if any? Building your own NPC rooms to try to obtain NPCs?

I'd say that's all a tactical choice. Start with NPCs in the center, what happens from there happens and forces action by someone. The only reason the NPCs are important is because of explosives and the minishark, right now. There's nothing else the rest of them offer that isn't abundantly available elsewhere.

As for beds, I haven't yet run into that problem, but it's based on distance, so. When that's sorted out it will be fine (which is why I'm suggesting we hold off for more updates.)

GO DEATH PIT MATCH!

It might be fun to set up an experimental world however, just so we can try stuff like this.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: May 23, 2011, 07:34:54 am »

I want to see ways to stop trolls next. I don't give much of a fuck about beds. I want a public server to be viable.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: May 23, 2011, 07:48:45 am »

Piggy banks are pretty important, and purification powder can be useful if you can afford it.

Edit: And here I was thinking "They added trolls? Do you need to kill them with fire or they'll regenerate? Hmm. An orbital magma cannon would work, but it'd also destroy the world, so... :P"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: May 23, 2011, 07:52:01 am »

I believe Kick/Ban commands and a server ban list are high on their priorities for updates. I think it's even mentioned in a dev blog post somewhere.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: May 23, 2011, 07:55:33 am »

As is, theres no bans, kicks, or ways to disable explosive digging, or ways to stop magma/spike damage.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 887