Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: randomly generated vampires  (Read 2815 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: randomly generated vampires
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 02:21:53 pm »

This is more in response to the op's name than anything else here.

Only on these forums would I see someone with an evil emperor for their username and think "this is totally appropriate".
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 03:59:25 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vampire_traits_in_folklore_and_fictionhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vampire_traits_in_folklore_and_fiction

The idea is to take every one of these sorts of traits, and then throw them with a dice roll with every world gen.

If one were to take every trait on that list, one could end up with muppet vampires and duck vampires. I'm hoping Toady stick to more reasonable characteristics on that one. :P
Even then, some of those traits need not be modified - Bunnicula's skin is described as "furry" and Count von Count is described as "lavender", but I honestly don't see any problem with vampires sometimes having those traits.

NightS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 03:29:18 am »

Wait a second, if they are procedurally generated, then we can have "vampires" that instead of drinking blood to live they need to eat cheese? In that case it would be awesome... Also, vampire vs werewolf battles?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 04:20:46 am »

Wait a second, if they are procedurally generated, then we can have "vampires" that instead of drinking blood to live they need to eat cheese? In that case it would be awesome... Also, vampire vs werewolf battles?
No, drinking blood is one of the core traits they all have.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 08:05:21 am »

Well there are randomize-able elements to the vampire archetype, In the description he could give vampires a tendency towards round noses or hair-colors. He could also randomize the animal they transform into, favorite color, top-10-favorite artifacts of all time, and weakness.
Thank you based dwarf.

Vanzetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 09:09:33 am »

Vampires could also drink your lymph, or cerebrospinal fluid. There are more bodily fluids, but drinking them won't result in death (probably). Although the thought of a vampire sucking your vitreous humour is horrible.

The vampire bites you in the eyeball, puncturing the cornea and bruising the lens.
The vampire latches on firmly.
Your eyeball collapses.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 05:46:50 pm »

A monster that needs to eat flesh, brain or bone also seems like a reasonable extension. Drinking tears would also be nifty, although it would require some more work to implement.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Inkster

• Bay Watcher
  • Lost in time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 06:02:02 pm »

I for one like the uncertainty of the etymology of Nosferatu.

As for the bodily fluids as alternatives to blood, I could only really see it if the fluids were found in good quantities in the victims. Seeing as how most other fluids in a humanoid body would be found in a fairly small amount, I don't think their main sustenance should come from it. However, a vampire considering something like tears or spinal fluid etc as a delicacy would be perfectly fine.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 03:04:33 am »

I hope the vampires could turn others to vampires, just like in the many stories we know.
I would like to sneak around a 200 person town and bite everyone in their sleep and then watch the drama unfold. Werewolving them would be cool too.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 04:41:08 am »

I personally want to eventually know how vampires generate, I mean that I hope that ducks and rabbits can't be converted into vampires, that's just out of theme (at least, for me.).

I wonder if the RNG would give us hopping vampires with paper slip headgear.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 04:53:51 am »

I personally want to eventually know how vampires generate, I mean that I hope that ducks and rabbits can't be converted into vampires, that's just out of theme (at least, for me.)

What, not a fan of Count Duckula?

---

One thing vampires should be capable of "drinking" is souls. It's on the list of common myths about what vampires feed on.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 05:06:24 am »

I personally want to eventually know how vampires generate, I mean that I hope that ducks and rabbits can't be converted into vampires, that's just out of theme (at least, for me.)

---

One thing vampires should be capable of "drinking" is souls. It's on the list of common myths about what vampires feed on.
Nor of Bunnicula, apparently. The new guy as no taste.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 05:08:27 am »

---

Oh right, Count Duckula, I forgot... XD

Anyway, I still stand by what I said earlier, although now that I think of it, it would be a good addition. Perhaps Toady could utilize creature classes (you know, GENERAL_POISON) to allow a certain species to be infected with the vampies.

Also, yeah, it might be good to have soul sucking vampir-- wait... I think Toady wrote somewhere that a vampire would suck a certain substance, and he plans it to be modifiable through material definitions?

I might be wrong though, feel free to correct me.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 08:56:22 am »

EDIT: Also we can mod in wooden stakes and now become Buffy.
The nature of stake vulnerability is something that could be varied as well.

In the original myths, a stake through the heart was not used to destroy the vampire -- there was no practical way to do that.  Rather, the stake was used to literally nail the corpse to the ground, disabling it indefinitely but not irrevocably.  ISTR an X Files episode with this sort of vampire -- a staked corpse ends up in a CSI lab, the investigator removes the stake, and isn't looking when it wakes up....

In contrast, a single accurate hit with a tiny stake utterly disintegrates a Buffyverse vampire in an instant.  Fans call it "dusting".

Inkster

• Bay Watcher
  • Lost in time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 11:56:25 am »

I wonder if the RNG would give us hopping vampires with paper slip headgear.

I always thought they were more like zombies, but I guess I hadn't looked into it before

I was guessing you mean these guys
Pages: 1 [2] 3