Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: This is insane.  (Read 40122 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: This is insane.
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2010, 06:13:14 pm »

I like how he comments that, "division is where it starts to be crazy". As if the whole thing wasn't already ludicrious.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2010, 06:57:36 pm »

Oh, you hate division too?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2010, 07:00:54 pm »

I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2010, 08:27:42 pm »

I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
Sigged.
Oh, I'm supposed to contribute something to the thread, aren't I? Well in that case, I would love to see a monitor set up for one of these. Not sure how practical that would be, but if you could get a game of Pong going at a few seconds per frame, I'd be quite satisfied.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2010, 11:51:52 am »

It would probably run at around 1 frame an hour, in case you were wondering.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2010, 12:34:42 pm »

Hmm... considering it would depend exclusively on the frame rate of DF, the number of kittens in the fort would greatly affect your game experience :)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2010, 12:47:04 pm »

Hmm... considering it would depend exclusively on the frame rate of DF, the number of kittens in the fort would greatly affect your game experience :)
"Mom! We wanna play pong with Jimmy! Could you kill some kittens for us, 'cuz he needs to be home before six?"

Onyx3173

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2010, 04:29:05 pm »

Now, Flarechannel was something we were REALLY impressed with.  Original thread is ten pages long.  I believe it was a centuries old fortress that is now taken as absolutely legendary in the amount of work that went into it.  With invasions and other fun stuff turned on.  Heck, apparently half the innovation was to make it invasion-proof.  Check it out.

Flarechannel is a lot more impressive than this calculator. I don't think I could play one fortress long enough to do something like that without getting bored.
I am a figment of my imagination.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2010, 04:36:24 pm »

Flarechannel and DF calculators/computers are impressive for completely different reasons.

Flarechannel is impressive because it looks neat and took a long time; it's basically just a big lego structure. It looks pretty. This isn't a bad thing, of course.

The calculators and computers are impressive because, well, aside from the amount of time and patience it must have taken, someone made a working calculator with display. It's amazing. The display and layout are pretty neat, too.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2010, 04:53:03 pm »

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Flarechannel built on top of the huge-ass programmable computer?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2010, 05:33:31 pm »

Either that, or actually dig down into the glowing pits themselves and construct a computer there. (For bonus points it should use demon pathing logic and pressure plates to perform calculations)
In our world, early computers got jammed up by bugs getting in the machinery. In Dwarf Fortress, it's giant emaciated chameleons made of salt.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2010, 08:04:58 pm »

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Flarechannel built on top of the huge-ass programmable computer?

Pretty sure it's not.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2010, 08:34:01 pm »

I like how he comments that, "division is where it starts to be crazy". As if the whole thing wasn't already ludicrious.
sigging......

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2010, 09:23:29 pm »

So has anyone figured out what happens when you divide by zero?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2010, 05:03:36 am »

dividing by zero does not work. The function "divide" is not defined for zero. It's like asking "what happens when you add three to a sausage".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6