Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1261411 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5040 on: August 11, 2011, 09:24:38 pm »

Ran into a minor bug on one of my chars: Whenever I try to remove this book from a certain shelf, my game freezes and never responds until restart. Repeated 3 times on that char, then found the site with another char in the same town and repeated it again.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: August 11, 2011, 09:26:55 pm »

Probably a misshelved Necronomicon...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5042 on: August 11, 2011, 09:49:47 pm »

Made a new little release of my mod.

http://www.mediafire.com/?v5e1xvpgsfdd7k1

Changelist here:http://cataclysmff.zxq.net/SMF/index.php?topic=245

Since I added the dragon's breath shotgun shell it's no longer quite savegame compatible (whoops! didn't realize that would break saves). It shifts all items around, so crossbows become BB guns and such.

People might want new chars anyway with the mutation changes and purifier changes, which is the only reason I didn't just cut the dragon's breath back out (plus it's kinda fun to have a flamethrower round for a shotgun).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: August 11, 2011, 10:52:08 pm »

Bug report:

Trying to figure out why accuracy wasn't working for gun mods, I found out the problem in itypedef:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Should be:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With those changes it properly references accuracy and all the accuracy modifying gun mods work.

Oh hey, I just found the reason people complained of being able to hit things less at high skill. Not an overflow, just a bad formula.
deviation -= rng(0, 5 * (4 - p.sklevel[firing->skill_used] - 4));

That extra 4 - in front is screwing it up, making every skill point in whatever gun you have throw off your accuracy by 5.

Daaaamn, humbling!  Thanks for spotting both of these glaring errors.  Fixed.

This thread is an awesome bastion of brainstorming activity!  Using XP for artifact/invention/<insert setting-appropriate-noun-here> crafting is probably a ways off, but this is all great food for thought.

I think that just putting XP towards stats when your XP pool is high without any training necessary is a good idea, no door-smashing grindiness.  Maybe it could be weighted towards your lower stats first; those below 8 would improve rapidly (relatively speaking), while a stat at 12 or higher would increase slowly enough to basically never improve.  So a 5/10/12/6 character would move to 6/10/12/6, then 6/10/12/7, then 7/10/12/7, over the course of a couple in-game weeks, say.

Ran into a minor bug on one of my chars: Whenever I try to remove this book from a certain shelf, my game freezes and never responds until restart. Repeated 3 times on that char, then found the site with another char in the same town and repeated it again.

Could be bad save data, an unclean build if you build yourself, etc.  I won't get into the specifics of how to do it here (it's been covered elsewhere), but if you could send an interrupt to the game during the freeze, and give me the backtrace, that'd be helpful.  Just try deleting the save folder and doing a clean build first.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5044 on: August 11, 2011, 11:04:56 pm »

Heh, only reason I found the first one is I went looking for it specifically. I noticed gun mods weren't applying accuracy so I went about trying to find out why. Took me a while to realize what the problem was, I was all looking at the code where it gets accuracy and wondering why on earth it wasn't working. I just happened to spot the other one at random when I decided to see how accuracy actually worked.

I like the idea of stats going up a bit then slowing, but that might promote some rather lopsided char creation selections. Like starting with 20s in two stats and 1 in the other two. Could always make it cost more starting points to raise stats above a certain amount though.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: August 11, 2011, 11:10:17 pm »

Heh, only reason I found the first one is I went looking for it specifically. I noticed gun mods weren't applying accuracy so I went about trying to find out why. Took me a while to realize what the problem was, I was all looking at the code where it gets accuracy and wondering why on earth it wasn't working. I just happened to spot the other one at random when I decided to see how accuracy actually worked.

I like the idea of stats going up a bit then slowing, but that might promote some rather lopsided char creation selections. Like starting with 20s in two stats and 1 in the other two. Could always make it cost more starting points to raise stats above a certain amount though.

You could also go the DnD route and limit the maximum increase. Something about only so much inherent potential. Given that you're using a bit shorter scale than DnD, limiting it to an increase of 4 per stat seems workable to me. So the average guy can in time come to understand everything but the hardest books (SCLP, robotics) with enough time. It also means that most characters will never hit 20 in more than 1 stat, two if they REALLY min-max

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5046 on: August 11, 2011, 11:12:26 pm »

Hm, I just realized, zombie pheremones. They remind me awfully of pherapods from the description, don't they remind you?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: August 11, 2011, 11:14:15 pm »

I was actually thinking of capping starting stats rather low, maybe within the 4-12 range, to limit min/maxing.  Or at least, charging 3 points to increase beyond 12, and 5 beyond 16, so that if you want a super-strong character it's doable, but they'd be very specialized.

Hm, I just realized, zombie pheremones. They remind me awfully of pherapods from the description, don't they remind you?

Dang, you caught me, I'm a fan of HL2.  Not that there are any other Half-Life references in the game  ;D
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5048 on: August 11, 2011, 11:15:59 pm »

I was actually thinking of capping starting stats rather low, maybe within the 4-12 range, to limit min/maxing.  Or at least, charging 3 points to increase beyond 12, and 5 beyond 16, so that if you want a super-strong character it's doable, but they'd be very specialized.

Dang, you caught me, I'm a fan of HL2.  Not that there are any other Half-Life references in the game  ;D
Hah! I knew it!
*Fistbump*
But yeah, couldn't think of any other way to administer an anti zombie pheremone other than splashing some liquid all over yourself (ew), or, drinking... it... (EEEWWW)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: August 11, 2011, 11:36:36 pm »

Now we just need a bunch more hats and a special item; the sandvich. :D

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: August 12, 2011, 12:06:38 am »

Speaking of which, this game has a SERIOUS lack of hats (and other interesting clothing items).

Where's my tux? Fedora? Top hat? Monocle? Sun hat? Range hats? Beer hats? (With storage!)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: August 12, 2011, 12:09:22 am »

Hmmm. . .maybe there could be a costume shop with ridiculous clothing. . .

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5052 on: August 12, 2011, 12:16:08 am »

Speaking of which, this game has a SERIOUS lack of hats (and other interesting clothing items).

Where's my tux? Fedora? Top hat? Monocle? Sun hat? Range hats? Beer hats? (With storage!)
Top hat with storage mayhaps?
Don't forget the fez, propeller cap, sunglasses, shuttershades, bow, and turban.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: August 12, 2011, 12:17:46 am »

Yes! Fezzes are cool! (The Doctor said so)

And Fedora's and Top Hats clearly need enough storage for a scooty dog/candy corn or two.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: August 12, 2011, 12:22:05 am »

Not only hats, Id like to see like a superman  costume or something-it could be very interesting when missions are implemented.
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 777