Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28

Author Topic: Aglaia's Forge (Cycle 4, World 3, Day 2) New players welcome!  (Read 38814 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Many cycles have moved since the great ship fell silent. No one knows what caused the Lord Hephaestus to sleep, or why the skills of the crafters faded.

In those days there were many sleeping creators, and the ones who had lost the connection of their powers used the last of their energy to wake the others when they could not wake the god himself. However, these too soon started to weaken, some stopped caring and eventually just rotted away, while others grew despondent and took their own lives. In the end, only four powerful souls were left. And they swore to awaken their god, no matter what the cost.

It was done in the main cargo bay of the Aglaia. Large mystic runes and magic circles were drawn on the black metal rock that composes the hull of the ship. Each of the four took a portion of the crafting inventory, and imbued it with enough power to create worlds. These materials they used as a catalyst for their ritual.

By the time preparations were complete there stood only two creators, One was a Gatherer of the most skilled lineage, the other a Master Crafter. Using the last of the magical energy, and all of their effort, they began to transform their bodies into something... anything that could wake their god.

The resulting powers rocked the universes, threatening the stability of it all. In the end, the ritual was bound to fail, the two creators had no clear idea about what was needed to wake the great one. However, such a failure would ruin countless dimensions.

Something had to give, reality bent, and instead of the destruction of everything, creation occurred. Other dimensional crafting ships appeared, complete with their own crew of crafting creators. Even the god himself was reborn in those states: Ptah, Vulcan, Osin, Mulciber, Sethlans. Each one, a different side of a many sided coin.

The powers of the universe are vast, and any of these many creations may yet prove to be as great as the original. Some have failed, and fallen into the same apathy as  the original Aglaia. Others might continue. This story however is about what happened after the split.

~

The Halls of the black ship are silent.
The Hammer falls no Longer.
The Bellows blow no wind.
The Klaxon announces no warning.
The Portal is dark and empty.

You know these words. They echo in your brain every morning, and they torment you at night when you sleep.

You are a master craftsmen of whatever your chosen profession is. You've lived most of your life dedicated to your goals and future. But now, these endless dreams keep you awake at night, and while your work has not suffered, your health has.

No doctor, medicine man, or scientist has been able to figure out what is wrong. It has now been two days since you've been able to leave your place of rest. It takes all you have to fight against the madness.

You are tired... And decide to close your eyes just for a moment to try and get some rest before the voices start again.

You awaken in a large chamber. Black walls arch overhead. It takes several moments for your foggy head to realize you are not where you were previously. It takes even longer to realize that your fatigue is gone, and your body is perfectly healthy.

Around you are others, but many remain asleep on small slabs of the same black rock-metal. Three others have awoken like you have.

In the center of this room, a woman stands. She has long dark hair, and wears a white toga-like dress that wraps around her intricately. You doubt your eyes but for a few moments she seems to blink and fade in and out of existence. Like a video set on repeat, she is repeating the same few words:

"Crafters, you are our last hope. This is the Aglaia, the ship of the crafter Hephaestus. The original ship. Using the power of the universe itself, we have taken aboard a new crew of creators. Your powers may be weaker than before, but the goal is the same. Craft, Make, Design. Awaken the sleeping immortal who started it all, and claim your spot in the annuls of the universe."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Revised rules:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other game threads for your reading pleasure:

So there you have it guys. I'm shortening the cycle, simplifying the mechanics some, and reducing the amount of players allowed at one time. Hopefully these changes will allow me to keep interested and keep this going a bit longer than the other games have.

I will start as soon as I get four people interested in playing. I need a name, and a profession. Bio is optional, but a little creative explanation will get you some minor skill points here.

You MUST, be able to check this thread at least once every 24 hours. If you miss a turn when I want to post(I will at best only post new turns once every 24 hours, it will probably be longer), there will be only one warning, and you will be skipped that turn, and fined some influence. On the second absence without notification you will be dropped back onto the waiting list, and a new player will be added to replace you.

Starting inventory/world:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:44:28 am by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Aglaia's Forge (Now accepting Players for Cycle 1)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 11:55:26 am »

Name:  Dylar, the Master of Metal
Profession:  Blacksmith
Bio:  Dylar was fascinated with metal from the first moment he saw it.  As a baby, he spend hours laughing at his reflection in his father's shield.  He beat pewter spoons from scraps gathered from the town smith.  As soon as he was of age, he begged to be apprenticed as a smith.  From the moment he began work, metal flowed in his hands like it was called to him.  Even the dullest scrap became a masterwork under his careful touch.  After three short years, the master smith weepingly surrendered his forge to Dylar, knowing that his skills were nothing compared to the youth's, even at his young age of thirteen.  At fourteen, he was the most respected smith in the region.  At fifteen, he was the sole smith for the local duke.  At sixteen, he was commissioned by the king to forge his personal suit of armor.

By the time he was fifty, he was an absolute legend.  Fabulously wealthy, he still toiled on happily in his forge, alternating between crafting and teaching students from around the world.  He was the single most famous blacksmith in the world.  It is now, at his prime, that he finds himself aboard this ship.  Will he be able to shape destiny now that he is competing with others who are legends in their own trade?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 01:42:16 pm »

I'd love to play, if you're ok with that.

Name: Eldmor
Profession: Breeder
Bio:
Eldmor grew up at the farm of his parents, like all other children of his town, and like the other kids, his days were filled with toiling in the fields, playing tag and causing mischief. Nothing made him stand out, and if anything, it would be that he was so bland.
Nobody knows why he changed, not even himself, but he did. Little by little, he became less social, prefering more and more the company of his parents' few animals over that of his friends. It happened very slowly - so slowly, in fact, that nobody ever noticed a real change. He was never any different than the day before, and yet he changed so much in only a few years.
Still, life went on, and while Eldmor - now 15 - became more and more introvert, the only holiday of the year approached. It was the day the traders' caravan visited the town, the day everyone in the village could finally sell their harvest and buy new tools, but also the only day off they permitted themselves, the day they could visit the travelling fair, or get drunk, or both, the day of the wrestling and running competitions, and, this year, the day everything in Eldmor's life changed.
One of the traders sold horses. They were grazing in a field a few hundred meters outside of the travellers' camp, and the horse merchant - well, he had one ale too many, got seduced by the, errr, eyes of a local blonde, and was, let's say, reciting love poems to her in her room.
Anyway, he left his horses alone. He obviously didn't hear about the packs of wolves that were common in these hills, or maybe the thought was buried under alcohol.
What had to happen, happened, and soon enough the howling of wolves and panicked neighs of the horses could be heard. Not by the villagers though, they couldn't hear anything above the sound of the feasting. No, the only one to hear the animals was - all together, children - Eldmor.
And that is how the villagers woke up the next day, only to see little Eldmor sleeping, using a wolf as a pillow, with a few other of the rabid animals patiently waiting for him to get up, and the horses calmly licking their wounds.
The next of the story is rather boring. The trader offered money (lots of it) to the parents, got the boy as apprentice, the boy cared for the horses like nobody else ever could, as if he was talking to them, and the next foals to be born were all strong, smart and perfectly healthy. The trader soon expanded with other animals, but when after a few more years the boy demanded his share of the profits, the trader kicked him out. Unable to start over without money or contacts, Eldmor lived on the streets, barely getting by, and convinced his life was over. Untill he woke up aboard a strange vessel.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:10:39 pm by EagleV »
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:42:28 pm »

Alrighty, that's 2, need 2 more for the first cycle.

Toaster:
Dylar the Blacksmith
Armorsmith [5/100]

EagleV:
Eldmor the Breeder
Animal Empath [5/100]

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 04:09:02 pm »

I might join. One question: can I make something living out of something not-living, like a stone golem or something like that?

EDIT: And what is source item for magic?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:11:16 pm by anzki4 »

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 04:17:26 pm »

Reserved.
Class: Chef
Bio: I had a nice long bio, but my DSi ate it, so tl;cr, Alex is a 29-year old chef from 2013, possibly best in country.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:29:49 pm by ExKirby »
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 07:01:42 pm »

I might join. One question: can I make something living out of something not-living, like a stone golem or something like that?

EDIT: And what is source item for magic?

Sure can, as long as the golem or robot isn't sentient, you're free to create life. A source item for magic would be a spell ingredient, or catalyst. Eye of dragon, tongue of newt, that sort of thing. More practical applications of magic crafting would be enchantments, making items that do certain effects, such as a gemstone that creates flames when you speak a special incantation.

@Kirby: Bio's a purely optional anyways.

Exkirby:
Alex the Chef
Cooking [5/100]

That makes 3 then, one more and we can get started.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:23:59 pm »

Reserved.

Name: Orestes
Profession: Stonemason
Bio: Orestes, a Greek name meaning "of the mountains" was given to a child found at the root of great mountains. Raised by simple mountaineers who valued hunting and crafting skills, Orestes adopted the profession of one of his founders: masonry. Upon growing adult, he left the village to seek his fortune. He wondered around the world and made a great deal of statues and buildings, until he arrived at the great ship.

((Not much of a bio, but that'll do, I guess.))
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:44:50 pm by anzki4 »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 09:53:20 pm »

Alright, that's four then.

anzki4:
Orestes the Stonemason
Masonry[5/100]

Now I just need starting actions from all of you, group inventory and the first world should be at the bottom of the opening post.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 09:59:20 pm »

Damn. I was about to join. Can I still join? If so:

Name: Dr. Geen McFuturton
profession: Served as a medic in the great war of 2345, afterwards became a scientist. He invented an extremely successful medicine which ended the Gurfernitis epidemic of 2380. In 400, he started his own company, Geenco.The company mainly does work for the military and the transport industries.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 10:45:55 pm »

Put me down for simple Gather Metal for the first turn, I guess.

Would I be correct in assuming metal gathering wouldn't get a difficulty modifier on this world since the flavor mentioned metal?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:47:53 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 11:52:23 pm »

I'll put you down for the next cycle Geen. I hope you'll still read and post thoughts from time to time. If no one drops out, the 2nd cycle should be in about 2 weeks.

Geen:
Dr. Geen McFuturton the Medic.
Apothecary [5/100]

Gather metal would have a small modifier, because any specifics on a gather action cause such. But since this world got a 99 on the roll, it's going to be very VERY easy to find what you want. So I doubt I will add it this time around.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 12:01:58 am »

name: regaulius
Job: techmarine (robot and machine crafter)
Bio: Techmarine from the Crimson Fists chapter, actually a rather nice guy when you get to kbow him.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Aglaia's Forge (Cycle 1, World 1, Day 1)
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 08:10:44 am »

Higher is easier?  I was wondering why the world didn't sound like hell on earth or something.  In any case, I'll stick with the action.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
Re: Aglaia's Forge (Cycle 1, World 1, Day 1)
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 09:23:36 am »

Gather stone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28