Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448401 times)

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #465 on: July 14, 2011, 04:05:14 am »

Holy awesome.
Playing when I get my good PC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 14, 2011, 04:16:02 am »

You're forgetting magnetism, RF. Gravity is pretty much the weakest force in existence.

Weakest, sure, but doesn't magnetism have a limitting distance on how far it can act? Gravity does not.
Yes and no. Magnetism drops off at a far faster rate, but, in theory, it never hits zero. Gravity drops off slower, but again, after a certain distance, it won't be noticeable either.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 14, 2011, 04:45:17 am »

I just tried a rocket based on Sirian's:

Spoiler: The Wobblebottle (click to show/hide)

The capsule-escape rocket is integral to the design.  Go ahead, try it and see why.

The problem with this design is that the 3-to-1 adapters are very weakly attached to other 3-to-1, this is why i put the three decouplers between the first 3-1 and the three others. It fixes the wobbling. I thought about using the unofficial 9-to-1, but for some reason i can't attach liquid fuel tanks directly under it, it needs something in between like an SAS or a decoupler, for each of the 9 tanks.

Oh also, i almost never use SASs anymore, i found it much easier to steer the rocket myself. The trick is to watch the sphere while you do it, instead of watching the rocket. It's a bit hard to be precise, since i don't have a joystick, but it's feasible, except if you pack too many SRBs or if the design is imbalanced.

Also, i NEVER use the long SRB with "KSP" written on it. It's just too unstable.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 14, 2011, 04:47:00 am »

I just had to do this:

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 14, 2011, 05:04:01 am »

You're forgetting magnetism, RF. Gravity is pretty much the weakest force in existence.

Weakest, sure, but doesn't magnetism have a limitting distance on how far it can act? Gravity does not.
Yes and no. Magnetism drops off at a far faster rate, but, in theory, it never hits zero. Gravity drops off slower, but again, after a certain distance, it won't be noticeable either.

Actually electromagnetism drops off at the same rate as gravity, they are both inverse square laws. The difference is that electromagnetism is both an attractive and repulsive force and as such tends to cancel itself out over long distances, while gravity is always an attractive force and as such can act over long distances even if it is the weakest force.

Also the term escaping from a gravity well doesn't mean that you reach a point at which it has no effect on you, rather it means that you have reached a velocity at which gravity will be unable to slow you to rest and start pulling you back in less than an infinite time span.

I just had to do this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heh  ;D, pity we have already had the last shuttle launch.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:05:39 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 14, 2011, 07:28:29 am »

Sooo, i tested the orange sphere liquid fuel tank, and with only this and of course a small liquid fuel reactor to go with it, i was able to reach escape velocity.

My previous experimentations with orbits led me to consider a different trajectory than the obvious "go straight up", so this time i went straight up at slow speeds (under 500m/s) until i left the atmosphere (above 60km i believe), and then i accelerated to ~3000m/s but with a 45° pitch, then cut the engines with about half the fuel tank left, waited a bit until i was high enough, and then accelerated at 45° again for some time, until i reached ~6000m/s, and then again, waited, and i believe i was above 10 000 km when i repeated the maneuver a third time with the last of my fuel, which gave me almost 10 000m/s speed.

I also noticed a strange bug while i was up there : the higher you go, the more your actions generate Gs. I guess it has been incorrectly tied to the value of gravity or something. I was able to get above 30 000 G just spinning the rocket around :D

I also noticed that at some point the rocket just generates random Gs (up to 15G and above), i think this may be because the kerbian brothers move in the capsule and generate tiny movements, although it sounds weird. (the rocket itself had some sort of slow random spin over time, from a rest position).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see my speed didnt go down much after the last thrust, it actually took about 30mins to go down from 9146.8 to 9146.7, and as long to reach 9146.6, so i think this is an escape velocity. I think what i did (the 45° thrust thing) is a form of slingshot trajectory, though i guess i could have optimized it by waiting a bit more after the first 45° thust, until i reached the apogee of my temporary orbit.

Edit : after a failed orbit attempt with a minimalistic rocket, i noticed that the atmosphere stops around 35km, not 60km. Could be useful.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:46:45 am by Sirian »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 14, 2011, 07:40:31 am »

Skill
Did you turn back around towards the planet and try crashing into it at massive speeds?

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 14, 2011, 07:56:49 am »

Did you turn back around towards the planet and try crashing into it at massive speeds?

Aha no, i had no fuel left anyway ^^

But i did it with a different rocket yesterday, and it's actually disappointing, because the atmosphere just slows you down to ~300m/s when you're close enough to the ground, so you never really crash at high speeds. Maybe the creator should consider simulating re-entry heating :D

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 14, 2011, 07:59:50 am »

My first rocket flew up and out of the stratosphere perfectly.
I quickly said fuck that, threw on some solid fuel thrusters, and had some fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 14, 2011, 08:23:52 am »

I believe that's why I don't work at NASA.

Although I could probably get employed as a pilot...

But maybe not...

Two out of three good enough?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 14, 2011, 09:10:19 am »

ehh, how do you land your ship? I though stuff just exploded if it hit the ground. I had a SAS connected to my parachuted lifepod and it exploded.
Also, is there a way to speed to game up? I've been waiting for 30 min or so for my pod to slow down to see the max height it got.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 14, 2011, 09:19:43 am »

No need for a parachute, just set SAS to keep you vertical, and do some very fine throttle control. Things don't explode if they hit the ground slow enough. Somewhere around 10m/s is safe.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 14, 2011, 10:22:08 am »

I just tested if a parachute slows your ship down, ship used was just the pod with a booster engine with and without  parachute.
With parachute: 5530 meters (tried it twice)
Without parachute: the engine overheats explodes...

So the parachute has an air conditioning system :P or the shape just help you be cool or something

dehimos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 14, 2011, 10:29:35 am »

My record is 8914 m.

With this:

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 14, 2011, 10:31:14 am »

I just tested if a parachute slows your ship down, ship used was just the pod with a booster engine with and without  parachute.
With parachute: 5530 meters (tried it twice)
Without parachute: the engine overheats explodes...

So the parachute has an air conditioning system :P or the shape just help you be cool or something
Let me geek out a bit here, but the faster you go, the more atmospheric friction thhere is, so at a certain point, going really fast makes you burn up. Slowing that speed down reduces the total temperature.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 848