Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448247 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3270 on: December 21, 2012, 07:59:12 pm »

I am using 6 docking port to link modules in my interplanetary spaceship. the results is that the docking ports wobble very little, making for a good connection.
they are also in a relatively large circle, so that may help.
I suggest always having at least 3 docking ports, not too close to each other. that should give best stability.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3271 on: December 22, 2012, 02:00:54 am »

Presenting SpinStation 1, the first space station with artificial gravity!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It comfortably houses 32 kerbals along its outer ring, with space for 6 additional crew members in the two central pods. They'd better have a strong stomach though.

This thing was absolute hell to get up there. It's definitely the heaviest thing I've ever gotten into orbit. It had so many parts at launch that 3 minutes of the first stage lasted half an hour in real time, and that's on my fairly powerful desktop computer.

But it'll all be worth it when I load it up with kerbals and give them the ride of their lives! A shame that rotation is not saved.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:03:39 am by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: December 22, 2012, 02:49:54 am »

You going to do the math and find out what speed to spin it at, or are you just going to wing it?
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: December 22, 2012, 03:06:41 am »

I wonder if the accelerometer would work for that.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: December 22, 2012, 03:15:10 am »

I've got some accelerometers on the engines so they should tell me the force of the artificial gravity. I'm not even sure if the stock parts can take the strain from running this thing at 1g but we'll see. On a few of the failed launches I got it spun up to about 0.05g (hard to tell because numbers kept bouncing around) and the engines flew off, but that was at full throttle. Hopefully a gentle controlled burn can get it going a bit faster without it flying apart.

I still need to get a couple engines docked onto it to get it into a better orbit, and design a ship to populate it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:18:24 am by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: December 22, 2012, 07:40:37 am »

For the people who can't get the patcher to work, Squad have decided to put a full download up of 18.2 as a .zip file.

Read their blog post here.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: December 22, 2012, 07:50:20 am »

nogoodnames, I love your space station. I also love how you can create artificial gravity that way, even if it is not quite useful for anything at the moment.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: December 22, 2012, 08:55:45 am »

Do i just move my save folder from my old install then?
will that break anything?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: December 22, 2012, 09:19:29 am »

yes. however, keep in mind that you may have trouble with RCS fuel. both fuel drain and fuel capacity were increased.
but in odler ships RCS fuel tanks will still have the older, smaller, capacity. which may leave you with too little fuel, even for a ship that didn't use any exploit.

For example, the ship I posted earlier in the thread actually seems to turn better with new RCS ( probably due to being very long). however, having 200 units tanks with a system balanced for 700 units tanks leaves me quite short on RCS fuel. I am not sure if I should just replace RCS module , or just design a new ship.

edit: some fuel lines are working oddly however. an engine is drawing from more tanks than it should. if it worked for all engines, wonderful! no more need to transfer fuel during burns. however, as it is now, it is only for one engine.

also, while the ship works fine, I now doubt my lander will be able to redock. it has too little RCS... well, I'll see what I can do. I wish tanks on older ships would upgrade.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:46:48 am by andrea »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: December 22, 2012, 02:18:17 pm »

I test fired the SpinStation and there's a small problem in that the game limits rotation.
Even in space there's a force that counteracts an object's rotation, and it seems to rise exponentially the faster the object is spinning. This means that the engines on the SpinStation will eventually run into a wall where no matter how long they burn, they won't add any more velocity to the station. I can run the engines at, at most, a quarter throttle before they start flying off. This gives a maximum force of around 0.2g, a little bit stronger than the Moon's gravity.

Andrea, you could go into your persistent.sfs file and replace every RCS tank's resource values with the correct numbers.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:25:16 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: December 22, 2012, 02:32:24 pm »

How exactly are you measuring the g forces? If it's the gauge next to the nav ball, that'll be measuring the capsule's forces, which will be significantly smaller than out at the arms. If you're doing the calcs by hand, keep in mind that a lot of the stuff in game is scaled down, compared to real life things, so if you're using some real world numbers, things might not be exactly right.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: December 22, 2012, 02:41:25 pm »

Each of the arms has an accelerometer on it. The readings get kind of wonky at high speed, but it seems accurate enough.
                        - Random human lord

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: December 22, 2012, 02:58:10 pm »

Ah, duh... I forgot about the new science instruments... :P

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: December 22, 2012, 03:25:59 pm »

I don't think the accelerometer works like that, you are reading the rotational acceleration relative to the accelerometer.

I think you gotta go to some calculations to find out how fast it has to be spinning.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: December 22, 2012, 05:04:17 pm »

I test fired the SpinStation and there's a small problem in that the game limits rotation.
Even in space there's a force that counteracts an object's rotation, and it seems to rise exponentially the faster the object is spinning. This means that the engines on the SpinStation will eventually run into a wall where no matter how long they burn, they won't add any more velocity to the station. I can run the engines at, at most, a quarter throttle before they start flying off. This gives a maximum force of around 0.2g, a little bit stronger than the Moon's gravity.
You know what to do. Unleash your inner dwarf and make it bigger.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 848