Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448601 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3690 on: February 20, 2013, 05:06:44 pm »

It's in the Full game.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3691 on: February 20, 2013, 09:45:20 pm »

It's in the Full game.
Drogue chutes are awesome :D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: February 22, 2013, 02:24:30 am »

So I've been playing with space planes again and managed to make something that assists an ion powered probe to space. It uses the nesting intake on struts exploit to use 14 intakes for 1 engine.

Here's a picture of the probe in its stable orbit. The orbit is 70km-90km. I ran out of daylight partway through circularizing and figured as long as it's out of the atmosphere I can fix it later.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3693 on: February 22, 2013, 05:54:32 am »

So I've been playing with space planes again and managed to make something that assists an ion powered probe to space. It uses the nesting intake on struts exploit to use 14 intakes for 1 engine.

Here's a picture of the probe in its stable orbit. The orbit is 70km-90km. I ran out of daylight partway through circularizing and figured as long as it's out of the atmosphere I can fix it later.

Should have tossed at least one battery pack on there.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3694 on: February 23, 2013, 11:47:39 pm »

One thing I had never really managed to do was to land on the Mün. A task, the first goal of many, I had failed over and over. I had given up after innumerable failures. But I decided to rise up, and try again, with  the codenamed "Project Interjection", a sister craft to the many crafts of the  failed Interception series.

After some mucking around with handling the craft, I decided to try the stupid method of getting to the moon. No orbit, no space station refueling, nothing fancy like that. I decided to just fly up. This was my old strategy of trying to get to the Mün before I became more informed on how KSP worked. However, my new strategies were plagued by a lack of fuel, and the flying up strategy used a lot of guess work and often ended in frustration. The introduction of control nodes and the target system, however, changed everything. There was no more guess work, I could finally make massive, random paths towards the Mün and make them work!

So I did just that. The craft turned out to be a one way trip, due to lack of fuel, but I didn't care. The craft crashed onto the Münar surface, leaving a trail of fire that destroyed all of the scientific equipment, but I didn't care. I have finally landed on the Mün!

Picture time!

And that sums up the Mün trip in a nutshell.

Now, I need to redesign the probe the craft had been carrying, and make the trip two way to the Mün and possibly one way to Minmus.

Quick bit of trivia: ü=ue. As such, another, technically correct, way to spell 'Mün' is 'Muen', and that the pronunciation of 'Mün' is very similar to the pronunciation of 'Moon'.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: February 23, 2013, 11:52:37 pm »

When I want to get to the mun, I do one of two things:

A: Just kinda... start prograde accelerating in orbit once the mun shows up on the horizon in an orbit that's nice and inclined with it. It works!

B: Use the nodes cause those things are mondo wicked cray.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma is overrated.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: February 25, 2013, 02:10:16 pm »

http://www.twitch.tv/kerbalsp

the devs are showing stuff they work on again right now like on every monday.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:23:00 pm by Nelia Hawk »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: February 25, 2013, 04:57:35 pm »

Currently my favourite Kerbal video.

edit: Video was reuploaded for some reason. New URL.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:57:46 am by olemars »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: February 26, 2013, 03:00:59 am »

I can't wait for 0.19 to break the aerodynamics model (or at least craft file compatibility) so that I stop upgrading this SSTO.

It does look pretty, but this is the 9th revision of the 4th iteration of it. I can't force myself to leave it alone!
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3700 on: February 26, 2013, 03:54:08 am »

How people make sstos work is a mystery.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: February 26, 2013, 04:20:13 am »

How people make sstos work is a mystery.

Its like a really shallow gravity turn.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3702 on: February 26, 2013, 04:23:47 am »

No, my problem is I usually spin out of control in aerospike altitudes, or I run out of fuel long short of the required 2200 m/s. Sometimes I flip out of control when I shut my jet engines off.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: February 26, 2013, 04:44:30 am »

You must not treat your air-breathing engines as a rocket stage. My, rather poorly built in comparison to others since I focus on looks over function, SSTO, flies up to 22000m and to a horizontal speed over 1100m/s, on turbojets alone. From there, the rockets engage and push it a little further until the jets start failing, at which point you shut them off and close all intakes, and tilt the whole thing up, so it gains altitude instead of more horizontal speed. Ideally you'll get a 70-80km apoapsis going at over half the required orbital speed, and you should have enough fuel to go from there.

One of the key points is having enough thrust. Efficiency isn't everything. Don't use aerospikes for SSTOs unless they use nothing BUT aerospikes for flying, since the aerospikes' primary advantage is in the lower atmosphere. Up high, the higher thrust and vectoring capability of the T30 engines will serve you much better. Vectoring is especially important so that you don't flip out when you switch to pure rockets.

Once you know the basics, it's just the matter of having enough fuel and enough lift to fly. It's just fine tuning from there.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3704 on: February 26, 2013, 04:56:48 am »

... But my jet engines die at 12000 :/

Why do you have to close off the intakes?
Aaand my ship flips out when I angle it up even with rocket engines Dx

Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 848