Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448304 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

You switched to docking controls right?
Docking controls are evil D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

What Why D:?

You just kill relative velocity, face the opposite direction the docking port is facing and docking controls make everything super easy...
If the thing you want to dock is spinning and doesn't have ASAS I would agree with you. Perhaps.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks like it time to post the Complete Docking Guider again:

1: Set you docking target as target (duh)

2: Use planning to get a close approach, anything under 10 km will do.

3: When you use the target function, your prograde and retrograde icons(the green ones) on the navball is relative to the velocity difference of your target.

4: That means: burn towards retrograde, until you have no speed difference to the target.

5: Then burn towards the target(the purple icons on the navball) Now you are heading straight for the target.

6: burn retrograde again when you get close to the target.

7: repeat steps 5-6 until you are very close, then dock using rcs and the docking mode.

It has been over 100 pages since i last posted it.

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile

On a subject of docking, has anyone here tried "reversed" up down translation controls (I and K)?

I didn't have much trouble docking since before demo was out, but every several seconds or camera pan i had to do small test fires to make sure i would be making RCS burns in correct direction.
When i switched it made everything a breeze, since you just go behind your craft with the camera and the directions of IKJLHN actually mean where the craft is going from that perspective. I think "docking mode" has the same problem, don't use that so i'm not sure.

Even in settings file default for up is [K] which is kind of reverse of the keys position on the IKJL setup.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On a subject of docking, has anyone here tried "reversed" up down translation controls (I and K)?

I didn't have much trouble docking since before demo was out, but every several seconds or camera pan i had to do small test fires to make sure i would be making RCS burns in correct direction.
When i switched it made everything a breeze, since you just go behind your craft with the camera and the directions of IKJLHN actually mean where the craft is going from that perspective. I think "docking mode" has the same problem, don't use that so i'm not sure.

Even in settings file default for up is [K] which is kind of reverse of the keys position on the IKJL setup.

A really good trick, use control from here option on the docking node you are using on the docking vessel, use *set target* on the docking ring you want to dock at, and from there use the nav ball for direction when you use the RCS, J will go left on the nav ball, L right, K back you get the point. By doing so the vessel will re-group all the RCS's to aligne with the docking port you choose to control from.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile

A really good trick, use control from here option on the docking node you are using on the docking vessel, use *set target* on the docking ring you want to dock at, and from there use the nav ball for direction when you use the RCS, J will go left on the nav ball, L right, K back you get the point. By doing so the vessel will re-group all the RCS's to aligne with the docking port you choose to control from.
Hmm i know how "control from here" works and it's definitely useful, but in regards to my point of reverse controls its still the same. Since the JL and KI axis work as if you were facing the port from the other ship direction not the back yours like you normally place your camera. Also if the port in question is on top of the vehicle it doesn't change anything.

Similar thing happens on the nav ball, no matter what ports are selected and controlled from, if you go toward something on default settings L will move velocity vector right - which is the direction L is located on JLIK board, but K will move it upward which is a reverse direction, thats what's counter intuitive for me.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

What Why D:?

You just kill relative velocity, face the opposite direction the docking port is facing and docking controls make everything super easy...
If the thing you want to dock is spinning and doesn't have ASAS I would agree with you. Perhaps.

No, my point is I like the normal controls more than the docking controls. I'm a grand master at docking (compared to myself :3)!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Got two probes to the moon :D. One is in low orbit and other landed. KSP somehow didn't save my print-screens though :/

It was... surprisingly easy. I think I'll go for an ion-rover next.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

KSP has a print screen thing? i just use paint.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

F1 or F2 i forgot
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

lolnope. no ion rover.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

lolnope. no ion rover.

I've done that A LOT
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Got two Kerbals on Mun :D

Spread over a few square kilometers.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Got two Kerbals on Mun :D

Spread over a few square kilometers.