Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448067 times)

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Kerbals, midgets.. same thing.

Oh, hush, Japa. There's nothign crazy about linking two boats together.

I remember when I made a HUGE plane and then discovered it could land and take off from water. And it too had electric propellers. Heck, that thing could land and take off ANYWHERE.

I believe it was the Haruka Svetlana, many versions ago.

So yeah. I find your lack of crazyness disturbing.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can't get a damn space plane to work. Originally tried mounting a rocket to it, or rather mounting a plane under the rocket, and that didn't work. Tried building the plane around the rocket and I eventually managed to get off the ground, sometimes, but then I have no luck actually flying it far enough for the rocket to take over.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try one of the default space planes first, just to get an idea for the bare minimum. They can only JUST get into orbit with a bit of fuel to get back and basically nothing left over if you miss the runway. Harvester posted, at one point on the official forums, some fairly detailed instructions on how to get one of them into orbit. It requires a very specific pattern of flight and heavy use of the jet engines to get a bunch of speed up while in the atmosphere. Then combined thrust from jet and rocket, and finally shutting off the jets and closing the intakes as you transition to rocket power only.

It sounds to me like you're overbuilding, which works fine for traditional rockets, but gets tougher if you expect to lift the thing with normal wings... not impossible, just requires careful design. I've seen some impressive space planes just on here which get to orbit with plenty of fuel to spare and they look like something that should have been built in an orbital dockyard.

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page

I find your lack of crazyness disturbing.

Better?

From left to right: Rover Norquist, and Rover Cleveland Mk3, Mk2, and Mk1. Cleveland Mk1 and Mk2 have since been scrapped, and Mk3 is currently being used to store and transport surplus Kerbals between missions. Rover Norquist was parked behind the vehicle assembly building, but, uh...

Camfurt Kerman: Legendary Impractical Joker.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I made a stock rover-thing but i forgot RCS so...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile

I find your lack of crazyness disturbing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GODDAMNIT YOU STOLE MY ROVER NAME. I'M GONNA SUE YOU.

Rover Cleveland will be avenged!

EDIT: BETTER QUOTATION EXCEPT LESS HORRIBLE AND WEIRD
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:48:55 pm by ShoesandHats »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Just as a note, but I assume that not everyone got unlimited internet*, so best spoiler pictures.

*I do, but that's not the point

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just the amount of redundant information. that post takes up a third of the page without adding anything.
Also: spoilers!
Or better yet, link to a photo album so the bandwidth-challenged on our board can access it properly.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ignore my ineptitude!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:49:42 pm by ShoesandHats »

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EDIT: WHAT IS HAPPENING

Goddamnit my brain forgot how to post

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Because the thread has been pretty quiet and I hadn't seen this mentioned, here is a fan made career mode mod with customizable mission packs.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/34026-0-20-2-Mission-Controller-v0-6-%2806-13-2013%29-ALPHA

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice.

Oh! i made a semi working jet! and i flew it to the island... and then Jeb got launched (i think it was a save error) a KM offshore underwater. Took around 10 min for him to surface. at 4x speed...
Highly Opinionated Fool

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

to all space plane makers:

check out this mod http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/29862-0-20-Procedural-Dynamics-Procedural-Wing-0-4

enables resizable tweakable titillable wings

(video included in the link)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those procedural wings look really good, hopefully the aerodynamics on them are accurate.

Speaking of aerodynamics, I have been completely failing at making spaceplanes with Ferram Aerospace Research installed, or really any high altitude planes. They all seem to become too unstable at ~15000m, or start diving. The only success I have had was with a passenger jet-looking thing with the engines mounted below the centre of mass, which kept the nose pointed up.

I think I'm trying to make the plane too compact and not giving it enough lift. Maybe the procedural wing will help with that since I always have trouble putting together large wings from the stock parts.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I keep trying to build aircraft with B9 and i can never seem to get off the ground. I think I need more power...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 848