Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448746 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Does anyone know how science instruments work? I understand I cannot measure air pressure in a vacuum but both the air pressure and the temperature stuff don't work at random places / times :/

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think pressure has to be in an atmosphere, and temperature has to be in low orbit or lower(in atmosphere or ground level) around something. I've never had them work in high orbit.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just let mechjeb play the whole game for you. Saves so much time and trouble.
Because losing a probe you invested tons of time in due to a mechanic that's not realistic is fun!

Because bringing a rocket you've brought into orbit 5000 times before is super fun!
*cough*quicksave*cough*

HACKS!!!

Here's mechjeb. http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

eh, I just landed that probe on Duna and transmitted a whole bunch of science :P. Now I'm working on a full Duna mission using my new 2.5m probes and shiny clapotron Sr.s to put together a booster section, a command module, and a lander

Also, Fritz, remember you can transmit your findings back to kerbin, and don't be afraid of the data loss for transmitting. At your point in the game, science now is better than science maybe later, if you manage it. Also remember to repeat experiments and keep transmitting until you run out of any way to either charge your batteries or the science gain drops below 1

You don't lose any science from transmitting, in fact: transmitting is so good that I kinda consider it an exploit. You just have to transmit the same data over and over again, until you are only getting a tiny amount each time.

For that reason I now reserve transmitting to crew reports and one way probes, like sending a suicide probe to Jool itself.

Also, don't worry about running out of science, by my estimates there are at least 100 times more science in the Kerbol system, than you need to unlock all the parts.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

I made a pretty successful spaceplane. I feel good. It can't complete an orbit due to lack of oxidizer for some reason, but it can easily cruise right along at over 1000 meters per second in the upper atmosphere. It's also the first spaceplane I've built that can take off AND land easily.

Edited to fix typos.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:27:17 am by IronTomato »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Did what you suggested, and it worked out well - I got enough science bucks to get batteries and science jr, unfortunately jastrzab 1 after reaching 12k km went back to the Mun and crashed, taking Jebediah with him.
So as far as I understand, science jr generates science passively and uses electric charge to transmit it back to Kerbin?

fakeedit: darn, I wish my flights were that successful, kaian ;)
12k km or 12km? Straight up?

The best way to escape from Mun, Minmus, or any atmosphereless body, is to burn sideways right off the bat. Just put the rocket horizontal and steer away from mountains. That way you waste minimal delta-V to fighting gravity, and chances are, you'll at least put yourself in a good enough spot to "get out and push".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

of course, if you are inside a crater or near mountains, be sure to be above surrounding obstacles before attemtping a sideways burn. otherwise, results may not be ideal.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm getting tired of restaging subassemblies.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I just staged my subassemblies before saving them and they seem to keep the staging.  Unless I just get very lucky.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My staging tends to stay in the right order but they overlap existing staging. Instead of 10 stages I get 5. A top set of asparagus engines fire at the same time as a bottom set of asparagus. That way only leads to madness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Just pre-create a set of empty stages for the subassembly to occupy before connecting it - then it should work.

In other news, the latest release of the Near Future Propulsion Pack had thrown me and my Ike Exploratory Lander a very unfortunate curveball.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The large PITs have their thrust vector pointing in reverse. The exploratory "lander" will have to settle for a flyby. :\
At least the Enhanced Navball shows the node-retrograde vector. :P
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 02:23:16 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Ooh, shiney engines.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now my rover has too much traction and a too small wheel base. Damnit.
*flips rover

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

I usually end up with not enough traction and a very large wheel base. Cue Minmus rovin' rage.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 848