Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448528 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Space is a series of tubes. Input Kerbo-hamsters here. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52139

It uses KAS so you can take stuff apart and reattach. It's not the greatest at that.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:56:02 pm by BigD145 »

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile

Finally broke down and bought the game. Bob Kerman has been stuck orbiting the planet in EVA for about a week, and his command pod is very far away from him. I want to launch a rescue mission but I have absolutely no idea how to do it. Advice?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

1. use his jetpack (r) to deorbit

2. make sure he lands head-first; those helmets are sturdy.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's a guide for orbital rendezvous. It's a somewhat advanced maneuver. Probably your best bet is to warp around until Bob is close enough to his pod to use his jetpack to get back to it.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

The best thing from B9 is officially the air brakes.
I've never been able to land so successfully in my life, :DDD
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I jumped in with both feet and installed FAR... and immediately lost the ability to get anything into space with my standard launcher. (10 large SRBs surrounding 2 standard 3m fuel tanks with a skipper with a strapped on probe and battery to deorbit.)

Messed around a bit and lost several unmanned rockets until finally throwing fins everywhere I could on the bottom and plopping an ejectable nose cone on the top of my payload with 4 small steering fins attached. (4 small elevator pieces positioned so at default they are outside of the air stream around the rocket, and when used only slightly push into it to avoid giving too much torque that high up on the craft) Seems to have worked. I'd used FAR once, long ago, but never really seriously played with it. Really changes things around and I do have to think differently about my designs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

You know what I want? A radially attachable probe.
Use the editor extensions mod. Radially attach anything. (Doesn't always look pretty or work well but it tries!)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I'd never had problems with rockets in FAR. If anything it makes rocketry too easy. Maybe my crazy rockets just aren't crazy enough.

Aircraft, on the other hand... take some getting used to.

Also, I heartily recommend using the root part changing mod, SelectRoot, I think it's called. Makes making subassembly-powered probes and payloads a veritable breeze.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a part in there for attaching stuff radially that isn't meant to be attached radially. Forget the name but it looks(and is described as) a broken clamp-o-tron. I believe it's in the structural tab.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Curiously, regular clamp-o-trons work just as well. Even better, since you have the junior clamp-o-tron for smaller parts, and retain the capability of detaching the part without cluttering up the staging.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I tried to make an Apollo-style moon lander, but I made it waaay too heavy to successfully get into LEO. :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I tried to make an Apollo-style moon lander, but I made it waaay too heavy to successfully get into LEO. :(
You mean LKO?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I prefer LEO and HEO myself :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

I got a spaceplane into Mun orbit and back using a refuel rocket in Kerbin orbit.

MOAR PRIDE!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I learned that while it is relatively easy to recover a plane from a flat spin in vanilla given enough altitude, going into a flat spin in FAR is a death sentence.  Wiggle your control surfaces all you want they aren't doing jack with all the air coming from the wrong direction.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 848