Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443923 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #6870 on: November 02, 2013, 02:10:24 pm »

I ran into a surprisingly stable KMP server. How did it achieve its stability?

it resets and wipes everything after one hour

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

At least, I have further perfected my space station module production capabilities. I have actually managed to stuff both the fighters and refueling facilities for them into one module, which can be attached directly onto a core module for early protection of assets. In this case, Minmus. I claimed the entirely of Minmus for my purposes one of these hours. I didn't get to do jack with it, but still. Mine!

To note is, 0.1.1.3 is actually playable this way. Progress!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #6871 on: November 02, 2013, 02:28:34 pm »

If you transmit something the first time you get it, do you miss out forever on the full value?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6872 on: November 02, 2013, 02:31:18 pm »

If you transmit something the first time you get it, do you miss out forever on the full value?
NO
You never lose science, ever. If you transmit you are just deducting that amount from the total you can earn from that biome. You could, given unlimited energy, just sit there and transmit repeatedly and eventually get it all.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: November 02, 2013, 02:32:19 pm »

So there's no need to actually return the craft except for the "recovered craft" bonus?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: November 02, 2013, 02:32:30 pm »

NO
You never lose science, ever. If you transmit you are just deducting that amount from the total you can earn from that biome. You could, given unlimited energy, just sit there and transmit repeatedly and eventually get it all.

This is being fixed come .23.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: November 02, 2013, 03:00:10 pm »

So, come .23 you actually LOSE science for transmitting first?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6876 on: November 02, 2013, 03:01:40 pm »

NO

This is being fixed come .23.
Care to elaborate?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6877 on: November 02, 2013, 03:05:30 pm »

Transmission percentage will go down with each transmission.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: November 02, 2013, 03:06:09 pm »

Transmission percentage will go down with each transmission.
It already does. Or, well, the science value does. You transmit the same but get less and less every time.

In .23 there will be a limit to how much science you can simply transmit. Things like soil samples, air samples, goo experiments, materials lab experiments - anything that isn't simple words or numbers IRL - will never yield their full scientific return if all you do is transmit. You still don't lose any science - but you'll have to actually bring some stuff back to Kerbin (a few times) to actually get all of it. That was my understanding.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6879 on: November 02, 2013, 03:10:24 pm »

Neat. Good change

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: November 02, 2013, 03:34:47 pm »

I thought it was transmissions percentage goes down. Which is completely different than science value and I don't see why you would think I meant science value.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: November 02, 2013, 03:43:19 pm »

The blog post mentions both "transmission yield" and "science gain from transmission decaying to 0%".

I'm guessing the actual mechanic for the cutoff will indeed involve cutting the actual transmission yield (in addition to the science value loss that happens currently), but the effect is still the same. There will be a maximum of how much you can transmit. You'll be able to increase that maximum with the science lab module, processing experiment results "in the field" to increase the transmission yield, but you'll still likely end up with less than "all" of the science points if you don't return your ships and experiments home.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: November 02, 2013, 05:26:46 pm »

In that case, they should make science parts able to store multiple experiment results, especially since, say, any mission to the Mun can easily get you into at least 10 different science biomes, much more if you count the gravioli detector.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6883 on: November 02, 2013, 05:36:10 pm »

They're adding a part that allows that, too.

see here
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 05:38:34 pm by Putnam »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: November 02, 2013, 05:42:00 pm »

Oh, in that case I almost fully approve of this, although I'd require that only the goo canisters and the Science Jr. need to be returned, since all other science parts just record information which should be fully transmissible via antenna.
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 848