Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1445819 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #6930 on: November 04, 2013, 11:42:46 pm »

I've finally decided it's time to dip into mods - Anyone have any suggestions? Preferably stuff that integrates with the custom trees from treeloader.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:45:38 pm by GlyphGryph »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #6931 on: November 04, 2013, 11:47:32 pm »

Just downloaded Extraplanetary Launchpads, KAS, Kethane, and NearFuture.
Well, added FAR to this list.
These add some nice parts, as well as redoing the drag/atmos model in FAR's case. To make them work with the new career mode, you will need to edit some of the parts (some details of the process a few pages back from when I did it).

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6932 on: November 04, 2013, 11:51:18 pm »

I've finally decided it's time to dip into mods - Anyone have any suggestions? Preferably stuff that integrates with the custom trees from treeloader.

PartCatalog, SelectRoot, and Kerbal Alarm Clock for utility. KAS for parts.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6933 on: November 04, 2013, 11:55:03 pm »

You can disable individual fuel tanks. For a vehicle like this, it's probably worth assigning a hotkey.
How do you assign a hotkey?

There's a mod for that. I forget what it's called.
In the vehicle editor, up on the top there's little blue buttons- the parts, action groups, and kerbals interface buttons. Press the middle one, action groups, and your parts interface on the left will be replaced with a bunch of functions- like "gear" (G), brakes (B), abort (backspace) etc. The ones I just mentioned are assigned automatically, but you can edit them by clicking a part, seeing what functions are available, and assigning them to that button. There's also quick functions 1-10, which by default are the number keys on your keyboard. So just click parts on your craft and assign functions to buttons.

That said, it DOES seem that you can't shut off fuel tanks in an action group without a mod. What you CAN do in vanilla is right click the fuel tank (once in flight/on the landing strip), and disable the fuel and oxidizer by clicking the little green arrow, which should turn to a red X. You'll have to re-enable that manually the same way.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6934 on: November 05, 2013, 08:35:13 am »

Note: Using FAR

I managed to create a SSTO spaceplane modeled heavily after the SR-71 included in the FAR pack. Redesigned a bit, added more fuel, added a rocket engine. This thing flies amazingly and with plenty of fuel to spare. I feel like it would have even had enough fuel to land and orbit again without refueling, unfortunately, on reentry over KSP, I overshot a bit, I got impatient and tried to do a hard, high-G turn which flung off one of my jet engines and sent me into a tumbling flat spin which I just couldn't recover from. Up until that point though, amazing craft. Gonna have to play around with the design a bit and maybe post pictures. It does sort of need a purpose though. It's got nothing useful on it, it just goes up and comes back down, although I"m convinced I could get it to the Mun or Minmus without a refuel if I'm incredibly careful, although probably not a landing at either. I'd need to figure out a way to store an extra lander craft on there somehow... but I've got a few ideas.

Also, RIP Lemrick Kerman

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6935 on: November 05, 2013, 10:36:07 am »

"It was an amazing craft, up until an engine fell off, it went into an unrecoverable flat spin, and everyone died!"

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6936 on: November 05, 2013, 10:57:55 am »

You'd be surprised how often that happens In Real life.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6937 on: November 05, 2013, 11:07:00 am »

Real life needs more space tape.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6938 on: November 05, 2013, 11:17:05 am »

Redesigned, more control surfaces, fuel system tweaks, experimental cockpit ejection system, went into a spin once again around 25km, but before reaching space. Recovered at about 6000 meters. Turned around, headed back to KSC, managed to get suborbital on the way back and landed. Landing was a little rough, but the engines waited until we got back to fall off this time. I consider it a success. Still needs more polish, and a use other than going ZOOM!.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6939 on: November 05, 2013, 11:24:36 am »

I've been thinking, maybe if NASA hired a bunch of Bay 12 forum members to engineer and pilot rockets we'd be getting places a lot more quickly.  :o

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6940 on: November 05, 2013, 11:34:42 am »

I've been thinking, maybe if NASA hired a bunch of Bay 12 forum members to engineer and pilot rockets we'd be getting places a lot more quickly.  :o
'This is unreasonable!'
'You're right. It needs more boosters.'
'NO! It'll fall apart five seconds after takeoff!'
'Pfft. Plenty of people to replace the pilots.'

"This guy has exactly the right mix of stupidity and courage."

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6941 on: November 05, 2013, 01:30:39 pm »

Real life needs more space tape.
Whoever makes spacetape a reality will be the sole person responsible for the Next Great Leap Forwards in space exploration.

M3hillus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6942 on: November 05, 2013, 01:33:13 pm »

Ducttape? That should work in space....Right?
'He can't even drive a car!'
'Perfect!'

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6943 on: November 05, 2013, 01:33:59 pm »

Dunno.

Let's launch someone into space and have them test it!

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6944 on: November 05, 2013, 01:35:03 pm »

It doesnt, the adhesive doesnt work in vacuum,  it kinda just melts away.
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 848