Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448267 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7320 on: November 15, 2013, 11:21:32 pm »

Polar Mother, why aren't you where I need you? You need to be watching over the north pole when I land a drone base. It can't do it without you.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7321 on: November 16, 2013, 03:52:05 am »

Anyone feel like doing some multiplayer project on some of these servers :)
http://kerbal.wlsing.nl/

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: November 16, 2013, 04:33:12 am »

sure I'd love to run a refueling station at some convenient place (eve, or laythe)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: November 16, 2013, 06:06:11 am »

Plan to build robust communication network:

3-4 satellites at keosynchronous orbit, with roughly equal arc spacing.
Each satellite needs an inclination of 0º or close to it.

Each satellite must be able to connect to two other satellites.
Each satellite needs to be able to connect to mission control due to errors in orbit altitude and eccentricity.
Each satellite needs to be able to connect to at least one spacecraft in Kerbin SOI.

Interplanetary communication is optional and may be handled with a separate system or expansions.
Each satellite needs at least one docking port for expansions.

Each satellite needs enough electric charge to power all of its antennae for at least 20 minutes and 20 seconds for when it's in Kerbin's umbra and penumbra.
Each satellite needs enough electric generators of some type to power the antennae for the remainder of the orbit.

Each satellite needs at least some RCS fuel for orbit corrections.

Problems:
I'm on a new career so I don't have the best parts yet for the job. Time to make compromises and large satellites! :D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 06:13:20 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7324 on: November 16, 2013, 08:52:41 am »

I always do 6 comsats at a 55º inclination, 1588km orbit and 1 hour launch interval. That ensures that at least 2 sats are always visible from any point on kerbin and gives good basic coverage.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: November 16, 2013, 08:53:45 am »

I found useful to reuse transfer stages as satellites until better things come along - you'll want to rework your network anyway once the 5M omni antenna comes along

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: November 16, 2013, 10:20:16 am »

Thermoelectrics are at the end of a research branch. KAS can help retrofit those in. It won't help with most antennas unless you mod the mod. I suggest manned missions until you exhaust Kerbin and its moons of science. Work on getting the antennas and research equipment plus fuel lines.

Some stock KAS code. Shouldn't be too hard to add more parts.

Simple manned lifter for kerbosynchronous and return the Kerbal. It can be toned down depending on your tech. The satellite body is the empty fuselage. Originally it had 16 tiny solar plates.
4 dishes for talking to other kerbosync, Kerbal Command, plus a spare for any active craft or a polar orbiter. Big dish for talking to an outer satellite that can talk to the rest of the solar system.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:29:53 am by BigD145 »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: November 16, 2013, 12:13:04 pm »

Often when using a maneuver node to plan a mid-course correction burn on the way to another planet the predicted path is all jittery. It makes planning for aerobraking almost impossible as the predicted altitude jumps up and down. Does anyone know the cause of this?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: November 16, 2013, 12:20:54 pm »

does it happen when the asas is off?

try this: asas off, timewarp 2x, off to normal physics. (it will kill any rotation left)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: November 16, 2013, 12:36:12 pm »

I'll definitely try it next time it comes up. Cheers.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: November 16, 2013, 01:29:12 pm »

I dont either, but I know who does:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=volume+of+68+tons+of+iron

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=radius+of+a+7830+Liter+sphere

about a 4 foot radius ball of iron.

Except those are in short tons, and I'm pretty sure KSP uses metric.

The radius of the ball would actually be 4,1 cm larger. That's a 6 metric ton difference.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: November 16, 2013, 01:35:09 pm »

Except of course it's not a full sphere or iron. It'd probably destroy itself during re-entry.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: November 16, 2013, 01:53:35 pm »

Except of course it's not a full sphere or iron. It'd probably destroy itself during re-entry.
We ARE figuring out what DID hit the ground.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: November 16, 2013, 02:05:18 pm »

Are we assuming a spherical cow?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 848