Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448209 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7335 on: November 16, 2013, 02:11:06 pm »

Laythe's atmosphere can't be thick enough to completely ablate 67 tons of metal, can it? And even if so, that means it explodes with all that force anyway, just not at ground level.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7336 on: November 16, 2013, 02:29:18 pm »

Maybe not completely, but enough to rip it into pieces. It's about as thick as Earth.

In other news, I landed my first Mun Kethane Station. It's a ripoff of my Heavy Science Lander. It fit a drill, Kethane tank, Converter and  4 fuel & RCS tanks in 20t. My landing WAS a mess, as it occured during the night and I didn't plan for floodlights. As such, I mistook a 15° slope for a flat plain and sent my lander rolling down the hill. In the end, it stabilized, after loosing the ladder, 3 landing legs, an RCS tank and a KAS supply box plus I don't know how many panels.

I might take that lander and relocate it somewhere nicer later.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7337 on: November 16, 2013, 02:32:55 pm »

This is what I get for letting all three immortals ride along to the north pole.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So many parachutes. Not enough power for 4 magnets! Goddamnit. The whole point of this rig was to start dropping and assembling habitation pods and build a polar base. Parts land 3-6 km apart, so they need to be put together and hooked in. All this with parts from KAS, Bavarian Aerospace - Tubes, and RemoteTech. The good thing is that there are parts to beef up electricity packed in the base hub that was dropped first. The first habitation module is 6 km away. The gantry is right between them. All this without RCS or engines, with atmosphere, and on Kerbin.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: November 16, 2013, 02:39:50 pm »

Do the tubes connect like docking ports?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: November 16, 2013, 02:40:28 pm »

Why did you need so much material for a polar base?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7340 on: November 16, 2013, 02:43:59 pm »

Have a look at the Bavarian tubes mod. It uses KAS to put things together. YOU CAN BUILD A BASE ONSITE ALMOST LIKE YOU WOULD IN KAS! It has docking ports with integrated doors that you can place on habitation modules. This means you can have a module with a docking port and another module, or tunnel, with a docking port and they will dock normally. You can have indoor tubes connected to modules all connected on the ground.

I'll have pictures once I actually start building. Right now I wanted modules for the Kerbals to actually live in. RemoteTech's command station requirements are 6 Kerbals, so I'm working up to that.

edit: I am rebuilding this gantry. The lack of symmetry at the wheels is killing me. It keeps drifting left. Lock steering on one wheel and it drifts right. This and power generation problems will mean a half hour drive to attachable solar panels and batteries. This has all gone horribly.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:54:36 pm by BigD145 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7341 on: November 16, 2013, 02:52:05 pm »

Here's my Munar Gas Station:

Also, I had some weird bug while I was warping waiting for the sun to raise. Some of my debris fell down, and is now resting 300m under the surface.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7342 on: November 16, 2013, 03:01:16 pm »

That "little" part in the background? It hold 11 tons worth of building material. I'm building a BASE. This is no rinky dink six Kerbals in a tiny room. There will be indoor pathways. Everyone will likely have their own room.
Inside a habitation module.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7343 on: November 16, 2013, 03:03:33 pm »

Dear gods that naked Kerbal is terrifying.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: November 16, 2013, 03:06:32 pm »

That's not the terrifying part. The habitation module only fits one Kerbalnaut. THAT NAKED KERBAL IS ALWAYS THERE IN EVERY HABITATION MODULE.

On that note, new rover gantry idea. Power generation and batteries will be down low so it's bottom heavy and stable.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:19:33 pm by BigD145 »

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: November 16, 2013, 04:09:26 pm »

I have seen the face of terror, and lo.  It was only a naked Kerbal. 

Seriously though, that thing is terrif-
That's not the terrifying part. The habitation module only fits one Kerbalnaut. THAT NAKED KERBAL IS ALWAYS THERE IN EVERY HABITATION MODULE.
Okay.  Terrifying AND a space/time wizard.  I now fear for my sanity.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: November 16, 2013, 04:40:53 pm »

But it only fits one Kerbalnaut. Because of this, clearly it can not be a Kerbalnaut. My bets are on Robotic Kerbal "Companion." Because, really, they're sent out into deep space for years at a time, they need something to do.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7347 on: November 16, 2013, 04:58:59 pm »

But it only fits one Kerbalnaut. Because of this, clearly it can not be a Kerbalnaut. My bets are on Robotic Kerbal "Companion." Because, really, they're sent out into deep space for years at a time, they need something to do.
Yeah, they need some to scream with at night.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7349 on: November 16, 2013, 08:51:40 pm »

Creepy Aunt lives. She weighs a bit over 6 tons as is.

ALL THE PARACHUTES
Those are the habitat modules.
This is pretty handy.

This is what you can do with Bavarian tubes.
The tubes were all placed on site by one Kerbal. Same with the solar panels. It's still a work in progress.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:56:36 am by BigD145 »
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 848