Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448676 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

I just recently downloaded FAR with B9.
This is my first time with FAR, on science mode.
Any tips on building spaceplanes that don't explode magnificently seconds after take-off?
I'm very low in the tech tree (have yet to unlock anything costlier than 90 science points)

For one thing, ALWAYS put the CoL behind CoM. After that, just make something vaguely plane-shaped and you will usually be good.

As for with FAR, the biggest issue it introduces is that you can't go around making super tight turns and such like in stock, at least not at high speeds, else you will either stall or deconstruct, possibly both.

Other thing to worry about with FAR, particularly in relation to rockets is that now kerbals can die from G-forces! (I'm pretty sure that's from FAR, MIGHT be TAC life support though.) So none of those "barrel straight down through the atmosphere at 3000 kps and expect to live when the chute deploys" anymore :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Other things to keep an eye on: put elevators (control surfaces) on the back of your main wings and make them only apply...um...for some reason I can't remember what up/down movement is for planes atm :P

Then put control surfaces on any tailplane and assign it just yaw, and maybe have some canards or somesuch in charge of roll control.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As for with FAR, the biggest issue it introduces is that you can't go around making super tight turns and such like in stock, at least not at high speeds, else you will either stall or deconstruct, possibly both.

Yeah, FAR is no fun. Same with DR.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10128 on: September 02, 2014, 01:32:27 pm »

You can disable areodynamic failures. I usually do.

I find FAR (rather, it's simpler cousin, NEAR) to be essential to designing real aircraft. It lets you build more realistic aircraft and it rewards you for making them look airplanelike.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10129 on: September 02, 2014, 01:37:45 pm »

B9 has an official new release, complete with a whole new class of parts. Rejoice.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10130 on: September 02, 2014, 01:45:20 pm »

B9 has an official new release, complete with a whole new class of parts. Rejoice.
About damn time.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: September 02, 2014, 02:00:19 pm »

About damn time.

It's been mostly functional for the past week or so. Today marked version 5.0.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10132 on: September 02, 2014, 02:01:12 pm »

I was under the impression that B9 was sort of nonfunctional and required external .dll's which may or may not cause issues for several versions.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10133 on: September 02, 2014, 02:03:50 pm »

Everything has been internalized with this release. The other big update I forgot about is KAS. The original author is back in the saddle and has a .24.2 release.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10134 on: September 02, 2014, 09:43:44 pm »

I tried to get the new B9 running and it totally failed just as magnificently as every other time I tried to install B9. Eventually just said fuck it and installed Spaceplane+

Hurray Cmega! Honestly I'm still working on landing my planes on the runway...or anywhere for that matter... for some reason I have issues either turning the thing to the right angle or slowing it down enough that it isn't trying to land at mach speeds... my latest model doesn't want to go ANYWHERE at less then 200 kps so its kinda difficult.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10135 on: September 02, 2014, 09:50:49 pm »

I tried to get the new B9 running and it totally failed just as magnificently as every other time I tried to install B9. Eventually just said fuck it and installed Spaceplane+

You have to run activetexturemanagement.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10136 on: September 02, 2014, 09:57:52 pm »

Get the active memory management mod. The new B9 caused the game to crash after loading for me until I applied it. Probably all the high resolution textures for the many hull variants.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10137 on: September 02, 2014, 10:14:59 pm »

THATS EXACTLY WHAT I DID.

Still epicfailed.

Even now that "everything" has been internalized B9 is just such a hassle of managing tertiary mods and plugins and miscellaneous junk that its just not worth the bother.

Indeed, I do this.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10138 on: September 02, 2014, 10:45:18 pm »

You can delete the huge sci-fi parts if you just want the spaceplane parts. I think they're in their own separate folder. That should clear up about half the memory usage, if that's even what's wrong.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10139 on: September 02, 2014, 10:51:59 pm »

THATS EXACTLY WHAT I DID.

Still epicfailed.

Even now that "everything" has been internalized B9 is just such a hassle of managing tertiary mods and plugins and miscellaneous junk that its just not worth the bother.

B9 5.0 gives it all to you. You just copy it over. I'm not seeing the issue.
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 848