Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 [679] 680 681 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448431 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10170 on: September 08, 2014, 08:28:14 am »

So right now I have like 10 contracts now that FinePrint is installed correctly.

Currently planning another trip to Eve, though this time I'm actually...well, PLANNING the trip :P
I was kinda worried for awhile there because the contracts I took to land and plant a flag and do aerial surveys all expire in 2X years, but after looking up transfer info apparently a well planned trip takes less then ONE.

So yeah, my biggest issue right now is ACQUIRING FUNDS surprisingly. Mostly I threw landers on Mun/Minmus with plenty of life support and am spamming any plant flag missions for em.

I also took a mission to put a base on the Mun, which I think is going to get most of my attention after I obtain enough moneys to conceivably do so.

As for my plan for Eve, I have the first piece of the ship sitting in the VAB, which is basically a Processing Lab, A microwave transmitter, and a Sethlans Fission Reactor with appropriate electric generator.
This piece is the most important because I intend to outfit my lander with a big ass thermal turbojet and plan to power it with said transmitted microwaves because that combo is hilariously OP for atmospheric flight (requires ZERO fuel, weighs practically nothing, and can provide as much/more power then normal jet engines)

Unfortunately said first piece and the equipment to (hopefully) put it in orbit costs over a million kerbucks, which would currently bankrupt me.
I also need 1000 science to unlock the mircrowave receivers I need, though I get the feeling that will be easier to obtain then the 30 billion kerbucks I need to finish up all these contracts.

As for right this moment, trying to put satellites into precise orbits, and turning them into microwave relays as well because then they at least DO something.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10171 on: September 08, 2014, 02:10:54 pm »

Humble is selling KSP for $16 US. Tell your friends on the fence. This is as low as it goes.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10172 on: September 08, 2014, 09:30:36 pm »

I installed the B9 Aerospace pack, and also Ferram Aerospace Research.

Upon ooening the game, KSP inforned me that FAR was incompatible and would probably fuck up. Most of B9's fuselages flashed rapidly while the screen moved (like parts do when they're overlapping another part) and the fuselages that normally contain fuel were absent. I tried to load one of B9's single-stagers, but it supposedly contained invalid parts. I then loaded up one of FAR's stock planes, and it desintegrated while flying.

I'm playing on .24.0, would it help if I got .24.2?  :v

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10173 on: September 08, 2014, 09:43:26 pm »

Yes
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10174 on: September 08, 2014, 09:48:37 pm »

Also, when you want fuel in B9 left click on the thing and hit buttons.

It makes the 20~ different 6m octagonal ones only show one on the list, which is beautiful.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10175 on: September 09, 2014, 12:31:31 am »

Yes

Almost every single mod is version dependent for a very narrow window of versions. Also, .24.0 and .1 were broken and fixed rather quickly.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10176 on: September 09, 2014, 03:15:31 am »

A fun thing to do with FAR and infernal robotics is to manually create control surfaces for planes using small wing pieces and hinges. It's a bit harder to control, but the aerodynamics behave much more realistically. Unfortunately, unless you disable aerodynamic failures, the hinges will be ripped off very easily at high speeds.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10177 on: September 10, 2014, 01:56:50 am »

you can also have foldable delta wings using rotatron like the one on the f14 (but struts the hell out of them :D )

finally got to start career again with mods. using 7x part costs makes everything much more balanced and you actually need contracts to tag along.

I had to use that mod to recover spent stages however.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10178 on: September 10, 2014, 06:28:11 am »

Just wait till you need the big ARM engines for your lifting stages, then the normal budget style will feel COMPLETELY balanced...in that you will be bankrupt after a single launch :P

Indeed, I do this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10179 on: September 10, 2014, 07:57:57 am »

you can also have foldable delta wings using rotatron like the one on the f14 (but struts the hell out of them :D )

finally got to start career again with mods. using 7x part costs makes everything much more balanced and you actually need contracts to tag along.

I had to use that mod to recover spent stages however.
Get the building one, that fixes alot of the stuff.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10180 on: September 10, 2014, 08:20:41 am »

Kerbal construcion time?

Does too much thing and the only I liked was the stage recovery cost

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10181 on: September 10, 2014, 08:25:08 am »

Who all wants something like KAS to become stock?

Indeed, I do this.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10182 on: September 10, 2014, 09:35:32 am »

Too many parts to become stock

That and infernal robotics doesn't really fit with the other parts: they swamp them.
Same thing with kethane.

Takes o much part to get to a workable anything.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10183 on: September 10, 2014, 09:37:21 am »

Kethane has about as many parts as Spaceplanes +. KAS.dll stock would be grand, but just as prone to ctd.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10184 on: September 10, 2014, 10:23:14 am »

Finally took the SSTO challenge and managed to build a working one in about 3 hours using stock parts only and without clipping anything. 2 turbojet engines with 2 intakes each and a RAPIER engine --> 1 kerbal to a 90 x 90 orbit with 500 m/s of delta-V left + 9 minutes worth of fuel at full power at sea level. It can probably do better with with a more optimized ascent... Or with some of the fuel dumped before takeoff. A similar design with a rocket engine had a bit less dV left at orbit.

Now to modify it to actually be able to bring some cargo to orbit with meaningful dV to spare.
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 [679] 680 681 ... 848