Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443953 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10200 on: September 12, 2014, 01:07:45 pm »

Is it me or is RealChute completely fucking useless?
I set it to "use current craft mass" as what it uses for it's calculations, and i ALWAYS blow up because I'm not going slow enough when I land. What a fucking useless mod.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10201 on: September 12, 2014, 02:40:49 pm »

By default it uses dry mass so you need to switch to wet mass if you're landing with non-empty fuel tanks. Also there is a limit to how much each parachute can handle.

It turns out that running a test on an engine while that engine is still attached to a decoupler causes the decoupler to become nonfunctional. I wish I had known this before I sent my latest high-tech space probe on a collision course with the moon.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10202 on: September 12, 2014, 04:55:06 pm »

It turns out that running a test on an engine while that engine is still attached to a decoupler causes the decoupler to become nonfunctional. I wish I had known this before I sent my latest high-tech space probe on a collision course with the moon.

really?  even when you select the decoupler manually with the mouse, instead of through the staging sequence?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10203 on: September 12, 2014, 05:13:26 pm »

really?  even when you select the decoupler manually with the mouse, instead of through the staging sequence?

Yep, and it probably didn't help that it was a nuclear rocket with those weird engine shrouds. I ended up just editing the quicksave file so the decoupler exploded, after several attempts at performing rocket surgery with wack-a-kerbal.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10204 on: September 12, 2014, 05:22:20 pm »

Rocket surgery: Its like surgery. With explosives.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10205 on: September 13, 2014, 03:22:00 am »

By default it uses dry mass so you need to switch to wet mass if you're landing with non-empty fuel tanks. Also there is a limit to how much each parachute can handle.

I was landing a Science Jr with an mk1 pod and two goo capsules.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10206 on: September 13, 2014, 09:13:21 am »

I've had plenty of craft come down very slowly after using 'current mass' after building the entire ship, but never had one come down too quickly. Make sure you've set it for Kerbin's atmosphere, if its calculating for Eve then it'll be too fast on Kerbin. Or if you were very aggressive with your deployment altitude then it wouldn't have time to slow down. Or if you're deploying a drogue chute rather than a main chute.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10207 on: September 13, 2014, 10:03:13 am »

I've had plenty of craft come down very slowly after using 'current mass' after building the entire ship, but never had one come down too quickly. Make sure you've set it for Kerbin's atmosphere, if its calculating for Eve then it'll be too fast on Kerbin. Or if you were very aggressive with your deployment altitude then it wouldn't have time to slow down. Or if you're deploying a drogue chute rather than a main chute.
Everything is ok, no idea why it did that. I just ended up using a lot of normal parachutes.
And now im trying to build a plane for Fine Print which isn't working either because, as with all of my planes, FAR just tears it apart if I try to turn. And from my previous experience with FAR, I know that no amount of goddamn struts is going to keep it from deconstructing it anyway

E:
Alright, if I go really slowly I do survive, but even then the plane has a tendency to just become completely uncontrollable. I'm using SP+ btw.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:13:27 am by miauw62 »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10208 on: September 13, 2014, 10:25:09 am »

Well just go slowly and far won't break you up. A craft should flight fine at 150 to 200 ms without disassembling, to 300 for extremely well built jets, to 1600 if flown in a straight line

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10209 on: September 13, 2014, 10:32:51 am »

Dammit, I have three prepaid cards left, all together they have enough to buy it from the Humble Store, but none of them have it individually and I'm not sure if they'd be accepted anyway.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10210 on: September 13, 2014, 10:37:44 am »

Well just go slowly and far won't break you up. A craft should flight fine at 150 to 200 ms without disassembling, to 300 for extremely well built jets, to 1600 if flown in a straight line
Hm, I guess. That makes it take ages to get anywhere, though.

Hmm, should how high should I fly?

And I can't keep my plane at cruise control either, because it's either speed up slightly or slow down, i can't hit the inbetween
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:44:18 am by miauw62 »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10211 on: September 13, 2014, 11:46:00 am »

Hm, I guess. That makes it take ages to get anywhere, though.

Hmm, should how high should I fly?

And I can't keep my plane at cruise control either, because it's either speed up slightly or slow down, i can't hit the inbetween

Well one problem at a time :)

To travel in a straight line I suggest single engine bunny hopping:

Set far to level wings, use asas to reach 10km then shift+arrow up to trim control so plane tends to raise nose slightly and this should make you fly up and down between 10k and 20k don't get too much fixated with an altitude as the plane will tend to climb in denser air and descend when hitting stratosphere

So you use this mode which is not level flight but stable oscillation to travel around the world

When need to hit a waypoint, shut engine till you are at 400km/s then descend with engine off in denser air, gently and in circles. Do not roll 90deg as that will just flat spin you, instead roll 45 and put nose at -10, then keep circling until desired altitude

Planes take load of time because you cannot warp, that's why I don't use ssto anymore :(

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10212 on: September 13, 2014, 11:53:33 am »

BFEL suddenly feels awesome for making 90 degree roll-able planes at around 600m/s

Yes that is with FAR and SP+. Also Interstellar.
I...think I'm experimenting with thermal turbojets a bit too much now :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10213 on: September 13, 2014, 11:55:22 am »

Hm, I may have forgotten about the FAR flight assistance thingies. :V

But thanks for the advice, I seem to be doing pretty well now.

E: Also, I'm using two under-wing engines.

E2:

\o/

Now I just have to crash-land the plane since I accidentally deployed the parachutes already and I have no landing gear yet.
Sorry Jeb.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 12:37:34 pm by miauw62 »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10214 on: September 13, 2014, 12:12:03 pm »

BFEL suddenly feels awesome for making 90 degree roll-able planes at around 600m/s

Yes that is with FAR and SP+. Also Interstellar.
I...think I'm experimenting with thermal turbojets a bit too much now :P

well depends, I have pretty agile fighter replica as well, but any plane that has to ship payload in keo ends up glitchy, because all of the center of mass changes
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 848