Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448649 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

Do scanners scan while not in focus? What about drills?
SCANSAT scanners can be left running in the background, as long as you bring enough power to keep them working.

Just how useful asparagus staging is now? I want to build a heavy launch vehicle to bring a probe to Eve's orbit with plenty of fuel in science mode (at least 2000 m/s delta v), but I don't have the 3.75 m parts yet.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Asparagus and onion are always useful.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Do scanners scan while not in focus? What about drills?
SCANSAT scanners can be left running in the background, as long as you bring enough power to keep them working.

Just how useful asparagus staging is now? I want to build a heavy launch vehicle to bring a probe to Eve's orbit with plenty of fuel in science mode (at least 2000 m/s delta v), but I don't have the 3.75 m parts yet.
How big is your probe? EVE is pretty easy if you wait for a good window. I did a two stage launch with about 7500 delta v and got to EVE with over 2000 spare

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When did that change? 

Last time I used scansat, it only gathered map data while it was in focus.  Similarly, I clearly remember parts (including TAC-LS) NOT burning any electricity when not in focus.  I even exploited it by carefully managing my focus time when I had planned badly and power was low.

This was probably pre-beta when I had done that, but it wasn't that long ago.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

When did that change? 

Last time I used scansat, it only gathered map data while it was in focus.  Similarly, I clearly remember parts (including TAC-LS) NOT burning any electricity when not in focus.  I even exploited it by carefully managing my focus time when I had planned badly and power was low.

Its been that way for a while now.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When did that change? 

Its been that way for a while now.

A looooooooooooong while. 1-2 years at least. Kethane is the only mod that fell by the wayside and forced scanning focus.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wow, where does the time go?

It looks to me like you lose access to all of the world record contracts after you achieve orbit for the first time.  I had an active contract for a 2500m/s speed record, and it vanished after I hit orbit for the first time :(

Looks like you need to stay suborbital if you want to complete as many contracts as possible.

I thought the dev-logs said those record setting contracts would go out to the other planets, but I have not seen anything since hitting space.  No further land or air distance records at all.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

record contracts are automatic now. You can achieve them all at once in 1.0 with a single launch and you get all of the rewards. :P

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yes, yes, but that isnt what i'm on about here.

the automatic record contracts VANISH after you obtain orbit the first time.  They never come back, as far as I have seen.

You will hit all your altitude records up to 70K along the way, but any speed or distance records that you have not obtained by the time you reach orbit are -gone-

I dont think there are any land distance records beyond 100K, I got that one and did not see any subsequent ones so I just went ahead with my first suborbital flight -- but I think the land distance records also stop as soon as you hit space (not orbit, just space).

The devs blogged about having distance records extending out to the planets, but those dont seem to exist.  I get no more automatic contracts after hitting orbit, and the old uncompleted ones are gone.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Are you playing 1.0?

When I started a 1.0 career all of the distance/altitude/speed record contracts were already active and autocompleted when achieved. I never saw one vanish unless I had completed it.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1.02, fresh career.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The last speed record I got was 2500 m/s, and I think it was while I was in the process of circularizing my first orbit, but I could be wrong.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does it float? :V

She's made of iron, Mr. Shadowlord. She can sink, and she will.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had that happen with a speed record slightly above orbital velocity. It didn't trigger when I broke it while in orbit, and then it vanished once I returned to the space center. It seems like you need to stay in the atmosphere for the records to count.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You definitely dont have to stay in the atmosphere, I broke the 1050 on a suborbital flight during re-entery.  The 2500 only vanished (uncompleted) after my first orbital flight.

I just tried it again, fresh career (with bonus science and cash) and first flight.  Only automatic missions.  no mods, though I think the mod manager is still hanging around in there somewhere.

Hit most of the auto-contracts on the way to orbit, except the 2500 speed. That contract remained active while in flight, but after returning to the space center it was gone.
Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 848