Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448332 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Dammit, of course the thing I need most right now is funds, and KCT decides to take my money and not give me my building upgrade. FUCK. 300000 funds gone. FUCKING BUGS GODDAMMIT.

Looked for the file to edit funds but couldn't find it. UGH.

most polished game ever!  ahem. anyway, in a completely unrelated note:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/122297-1-0-2-May20-WasdEditorCamera-FPS-editor-controls

best mod forever

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/122297-1-0-2-May20-WasdEditorCamera-FPS-editor-controls

best mod forever
Found it not too long ago myself. Looks great but haven't gotten to try it yet. Should solve roughly all my problems.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Dammit, of course the thing I need most right now is funds, and KCT decides to take my money and not give me my building upgrade. FUCK. 300000 funds gone. FUCKING BUGS GODDAMMIT.

KCT causes building upgrades to take time. Are you sure it's not just in progress?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

KCT causes building upgrades to take time. Are you sure it's not just in progress?
Yeah, I'm sure. Looks like its a really bad idea to be off flying something when the timer runs down and the actual upgrade is supposed to happen.

It's "persistent.sfs" in the save folder. Alternatively, you can hold alt-f12 down for a few seconds to access the extra-secret cheats that let you add or remove money, science and rep.

I feel like a challenge, so, starting tomorrow I'm going to try to design and fly an SSTO that can go to Laythe and back without refueling. Wish me luck!
That's the file I was looking through, its just so fuckhueg that I couldn't FIND the money in it. But thank you for the secret cheaties, that should help fix it.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, really experiencing some moronic completionist ocd trauma over these World First contracts.

I was combining the "fly by mun" and "fly by minmus" contracts with the relevant "explore..." contracts, so during the same flight I was also orbiting and landing on those bodies.

It just occurred to me that there are probably World First contracts for orbiting and landing on those bodies that I was missing, though I wouldnt be sure until it gave me a Duna contract.

So, I did a few more... Dock two ships in orbit, then flyby of the sun (luckily, just before a test ship left Kerbin SOI and I lost the opportunity to get that contract) and then I get this one:  "Return to Kerbin from a Flyby of Minmus"

Aaah!  There would have been one of those for the Mun also, but I already met the criteria!  All these missed contracts!

I feel like I should restart my career now to complete the ones I probably missed, but thats idiotic isnt it?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I think I read something about them automatically giving you the money and rep for those sorts of things when/if you complete them, the special missions are (I think, I could be wrong) just them giving you a hint.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Mun continues to be my archnemesis. Regardless of design there seems to be a 50/50 chance the ship just lands helplessly on its side.
On top of this it is LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to bring enough fuel to land and take off again into a stable orbit, let alone one that makes it back to Kerbin.
dont land on slopes, and its not literally impossible, i've done it with fuel left over.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mun continues to be my archnemesis. Regardless of design there seems to be a 50/50 chance the ship just lands helplessly on its side.
On top of this it is LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to bring enough fuel to land and take off again into a stable orbit, let alone one that makes it back to Kerbin.

most of the time bringing too much fuel is the issue. fuel is heavy, and lots of heavy tanks are inefficient when compared to dropping smaller empty tanks as you climb

also engines, those weigh A LOT. there are a couple of effect there:
more fuel require more engine to slow down and land. less engine require less energy to move about, but requires longer burn to change velocity - the longer the burn, the more fuel wasted to gravity. you need to hit a good spot between acceleration and engine mass to actually save fuel.

you need to not think in term of fuel, but in term of delta-v and trust-to-weight. a capsule with one flt-200 and a lv-909 should be able to get back from mun and to kerbin iirc
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:29:27 am by LoSboccacc »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

(this is assuming you don't already use MechJeb and that you don't really want to start using it)

Just use MechJeb is in the vehicle editor to make sure you have sufficient dV, then delete the part before launch.

Now you'll know whether you suck at building ships or if you just suck at piloting them :P

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

(this is assuming you don't already use MechJeb and that you don't really want to start using it)

Just use MechJeb is in the vehicle editor to make sure you have sufficient dV, then delete the part before launch.

Now you'll know whether you suck at building ships or if you just suck at piloting them :P
Or even better, just use KER. Disable the in-flight windows and you won't have anything intrusive in the game at all, just useful stat displays in the design bay.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm still fairly rookie at this, I got around both the fuel and tipping issue by building a super simple lander/returner. The center is a MK1 capsule, service bay with batteries and goo and sciency stuff, 1 of the medium sized basic fuel tanks and a terrier, then attached with connectors to the side, I have 3 small fuel tanks with terriers. I used the small fuel tanks for landing, the extra width they add makes it stable (landing legs seemed optional since they barely touched), and it guarantees you a full fuel tank for your burn home.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My problem with landing is usually striking a fine balance between "Gosh, this is taking awhile" and "Gosh, the ground sure is approaching fast". It doesn't help that(barring mods) you never know what your altitude AGL(above ground level) is - your altimeter only shows seal level(even on waterless bodies, like Mun).

Another thing you need to do is cancel your horizontal velocity - THAT will make you flip over. If your pilot/core(I refuse to touch MechJeb by the way) can handle prograde/retrograde automatically, it's easiest just to set them to point retro and keep a low thrust. Over time, your retrograde vector will point up, indicating that your are falling straight down. If you have the patience and relatively fine control you can pilot that manuever yourself.

After that, it's a matter of hitting the ground at the slowest possible velocity. Lander legs have a max impact tolerance of around 30m/s, but I try to get it at half that. Don't overthrust, keep a low(barely above none) thrust to slow yourself down as you come down the last few meters of your landing.

And yeah, getting back isn't that hard. I've had success(not recently) landing and coming back using either the smallest Rockomax tank(serves as the base of the lander) and three of the radial engines(Thuds I think they're called - the largest radial available I believe), as substituting that tank with the largest Monopropellant tank and appropriate thrusters.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

My problem with landing is usually striking a fine balance between "Gosh, this is taking awhile" and "Gosh, the ground sure is approaching fast". It doesn't help that(barring mods) you never know what your altitude AGL(above ground level) is - your altimeter only shows seal level(even on waterless bodies, like Mun).
Look from inside the cockpit, there's an altitude meter that measures from the ground up.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Using squat designs for landers also helps considerably with landing woes.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

some design ideas for starting landers:

this is fairly low tech, has plentiful fuel to go wherever and it's a solid "starter" design, just put it in kerbin orbit and it will go to mun and back on its own:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

this is a little higher in tech, but weights a LOT less so the ascent stage is way smaller; has less fuel so requires to be injected in mun orbit by a tug or something, but still has plenty to land and return to kerbin:

the second lander trades a little fuel (always compare fuel to weight!) for being able to survive reentry with all science attached - notice the heat shield on top AND bottom of the second stage.

edit: then you have this
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:54:47 pm by LoSboccacc »
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 848