Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448848 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

That is less a trick and more a "absolute necessity to even begin to rendezvous with something, let alone try and attach something to it"
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are other ways to do it, but it's still a trick. It's as much a trick as memorizing a multiplication table over doing the math longhand.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For large stations, one way to make docking easier is to align the station along the normal and anti-normal (North/South for an equatorial orbit) with a docking port at either end. This way, the docking ports remain pointed in one direction while the station orbits. Then for docking, all you need to do is align yourself with the (anti-)normal and use the RCS controls to shift your ship into the right position. You'll know it's directly aligned with the station's docking port when the target marker is right under your orientation marker on the navball.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AUGH. Having my two parts meet is so hard :(. I can't get them to be close enough at a correct speed to perform docking. My problem is that whenever I try to slow down, I get moved away from the station, and whenever I try to correct that by moving towards it, I start going too fast, forcing me to restart this over and over until it is too late. I think I'll try watching some tutorials on youtube before I try again.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AUGH. Having my two parts meet is so hard :(. I can't get them to be close enough at a correct speed to perform docking.

Lol. Try posting on the lower boards for help.  Maybe the Life Advice section or whatever its called ;)

Edits: more seriously though, close the final distance with RCS not your main engines.  and make sure you're targeting the docking part, not just the ship in general.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 04:16:22 pm by puke »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile

AUGH. Having my two parts meet is so hard :(. I can't get them to be close enough at a correct speed to perform docking.

Lol. Try posting on the lower boards for help.  Maybe the Life Advice section or whatever its called ;)

Careful with the amount of thrust :P.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: xpxpxpxpxpxpxpxpxpxpxp (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 04:29:14 pm by FArgHalfnr »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

So I've scienced the shores, the landing strip, launch-pad, ocean, grasslands, highlands, and mountains. Also the atmosphere.

I even have the Science Lab Canister now, but still can't get into orbit or escape the planet. This... is frustrating.

Edit: Do structural struts... do I need to attach them to decouplers like I've been doing if the parts I'm connecting are connected via decouplers?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 04:35:48 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Nope.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Well, that saves me some weight.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Manged to perform the "split station in half, insert new module in between the two and pull off TWO docking manuevers" bit, despite making several terrible design choices.

One, the command module for the station is aligned more or less 90 degrees to the rest of the station, meaning that I can't really use the navball for docking.
Two, I only put enough RCS blocks on it to account for two axes, leaving me no lateral control.
Three, I *still* don't have an open docking port for the final module (fuel storage), so I'm going to have to split the damn thing again and insert another module.
Four, despite putting a crapton of solar panels and about 2100 units of battery storage, because the orbit is so low (~87km) it spends way too much time in Kerbin's shadow. The science lab runs the batteries down just an hour or two into nighttime.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should still be able to "control from" docking port.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

There are other ways to do it, but it's still a trick. It's as much a trick as memorizing a multiplication table over doing the math longhand.
Hey! I was there before they invented memorizing! No, no... wait. That's not right. I was there before SAS could track targets! :p (It still seems like quite a new trick to me)

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do you guys manage that docking thing XP? I can't seem to stabilize during the final maneuvers. It seems that as I go closer the minimum speed I can reach increase, forcing me to go faster and faster as I'm nearing my target. I think I really need help. Tutorials on youtube don't seem to help much.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 09:15:46 pm by FArgHalfnr »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

How do you guys manage that docking thing XP? I can't seem to stabilize during the final maneuvers. It seems that as I go closer the minimum speed I can reach increase, forcing me to go faster and faster as I'm nearing my target. I think I really need help. Tutorials on youtube don't seem to help much.
As other people have said, use RCS not thrusters. Which means making sure you have RCS laid out so that you have a pair of nozzles pointing along each axis.

The built-in tutorial was pretty helpful for me. Once you get close, switch to Target mode and use the RCS to try and line your ship and the target up so that the target marker is aligned with your prograde marker. Once that's done, thrust forward gently with RCS (default keybind is H) and coast toward your target. Keep your prograde indicator lined up with the target indicator, and keep your relative speed low. If you're coming in a bit too fast, RCS back (default keybind -- N).

The main thing is to get relative speed very low before you start manuevering. If you're still at >10 m/s, it's easy to go flying right back your target (or have it fly by you). Ideally, you want it at or under 1 m/s until you get your prograde/target aligned. Then you can increase speed a bit.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 848