Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448540 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I am looking for something a little different with my next game. Anyone want to recommend me a good alternate tech tree?
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100385-Community-Tech-Tree-2-0-last-updated-03-05-15?p=1546633#post1546633

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile

MSSM-1 is not going well so far. A Kerbal collided with and knocked off a solar panel, I somehow pulled the middle out of one of my EVA-assistance units, leaving the unit's fuel tanks to drift away into space, and I think I managed to lose a few struts. All of these are now hazardous debris in the same orbit as the station.

In addition, when I re-dock one of the servicing units after loading it up with cargo, I end up in a state where I can't switch vessels and I can't return to the space center. At this point I have to kill the game and restart. With this cascade of disasters I'm wondering if I ought to boost to a safer orbit, evacuate most of the station, have the visiting ships take the docking structure with them, then deorbit the troubled main station. I hate to see all that work plow into the surface of the Mun, but it might be better that way.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question: When doing station contracts, do I have to have FILLED fuel tanks for it to count as completed? I asking since there's a world of difference between an 8-9 ton assembly(doable, if annoying due to how long orange tanks are) and 50 tons(a real PITA to do, especially if I don't want to actually lose money even with the docking contract I'd complete at the same time)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question: When doing station contracts, do I have to have FILLED fuel tanks for it to count as completed? I asking since there's a world of difference between an 8-9 ton assembly(doable, if annoying due to how long orange tanks are) and 50 tons(a real PITA to do, especially if I don't want to actually lose money even with the docking contract I'd complete at the same time)

They should say what capacity and yes it needs to be filled.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Damn. So I'll either need to send an orange tank up empty and send more missions to fill it, or somehow get it into orbit filled without spending several hundred thousand spacebux doing so(those things are HEAVY). Either way I won't make anything close to a profit on this and am now questioning what the point of station contracts are since they don't give near the profit required to build them
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Probably the same as most of the other contracts: to encourage you to try new things. Unfortunately, rewarding you for doing those things obviously needs some work.
Nothing important here, move along.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

50 tons is cheaper to lift in one go than several. It's also fairly easy.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Asperagused mainsails? That was my first thought...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Asperagused mainsails? That was my first thought...

You don't have to, but that's one way. It can also be done with just 2 lifter stages, one atop another.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The average Asparagus staged rocket seems like it would be very cost inefficient for this type of thing. You usually end up ditching a lot of expensive engines without using them to their full potential. You might want some kind of drop tank setup with a minimal number of engines instead. A hybrid would probably be best, but it would have a lot of drag.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Manged to land on the Mun!
First few attempts were spent getting to it first without wasting all my fuel. First actual landing went awesome until the actual touchdown at which point my kinda tall lander tipped over. Second actual landing went without a hitch since I modified the lander to be more stable. Then Jeb had to be an asshole and tip the whole thing over while he was trying to get to a thermometer inside a service bay that was next to one of the lander legs.
At this point I'm done with it all. If I have to do another fucking transfer only for something random to fuck it all up at the very end I'll murder somebody.

Still, damn nice to know that with a bit of thinking you can actually solve stuff somewhat nicely.

Also set up a very ugly and kinda screwed up satellite network over Kerbin. It's mostly ugly because for some reason one of the manouver nodes bugged out and one of the satellites burned all it's fuel to give me a rather eliptic orbit, all the others are pretty fine and I still have pretty much full coverage around the equator if I need it, gonna have to look into making a couple of polar ones with more powerful transmitters too.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

I am looking for something a little different with my next game. Anyone want to recommend me a good alternate tech tree?
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100385-Community-Tech-Tree-2-0-last-updated-03-05-15?p=1546633#post1546633
Community Tech Tree isn't really an alternate tech tree; it's more of a "stock enhanced" tech tree. But... I am trying the Open techtree which supports CTT. Could be good! (I would love to try the contract based tech tree, but I want too many mod parts this time around.)

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have been abusing asparagus mainsails lately... which is funny because I never bothered with asparagus, except maybe once, until the release version.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Manged to land on the Mun!
First few attempts were spent getting to it first without wasting all my fuel. First actual landing went awesome until the actual touchdown at which point my kinda tall lander tipped over. Second actual landing went without a hitch since I modified the lander to be more stable. Then Jeb had to be an asshole and tip the whole thing over while he was trying to get to a thermometer inside a service bay that was next to one of the lander legs.
At this point I'm done with it all. If I have to do another fucking transfer only for something random to fuck it all up at the very end I'll murder somebody.

Still, damn nice to know that with a bit of thinking you can actually solve stuff somewhat nicely.

Also set up a very ugly and kinda screwed up satellite network over Kerbin. It's mostly ugly because for some reason one of the manouver nodes bugged out and one of the satellites burned all it's fuel to give me a rather eliptic orbit, all the others are pretty fine and I still have pretty much full coverage around the equator if I need it, gonna have to look into making a couple of polar ones with more powerful transmitters too.
You should've quicksaved more :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Huh, now that I've actually started quicksaving it wasn't so hard after all X)

Also managed to get to Minmus afterwards, now I'll need to figure out how to best land on it, I'm guessing the general requirements are the same as for Mun, but I wanna modify the lander a bit, tho I have no idea how to make it a proper two parter without adding shittons of extra stuff, also I am yet to do a successful orbital meetup so that's kinda putting a damper on things.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 848