Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448029 times)

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Recommend me a mod. ANY OTHER Mod. my KSP version is 1.0.4.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]
Sorry for Grammar.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

I use these:

I have no idea what half of them do, but it's a blast so far.

Only issue is that Tech Tree Mod has a few tech routes that don't unlock anything, presumably because I'm lacking mods that make use of them.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I used the communit tech tree but didn't like the progression that much. Now I'm using the engineering tech tree and i feel it's much better because doesn't impose a defined progression but works more in term of difficulty of research and plain dependencies.

Might not be of your taste because of certain decisions (many experiments are unlocked affer nuclear physics which alone costs 100 science) but fits very well if you're playing hard mode (i.e. basic stuff doesn't cost an arm and a leg only because its on a high research tier and plain distance from starting node actually matters nothing)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile

Recommend me a mod. ANY OTHER Mod.

I like the Kerbal Foundries wheels: They're better than stock and have turned my KSP into Kerbal Road Rally and Kerbal Lift Oversized Payloads To The Mun. I've been building my giant rover bodies with Kermangeddon Industries Mobile Frame System parts (no update needed for 1.0.4), but I'm probably going to add the Lack Luster Labs parts for crew modules and a better driving cab, since the current MFS big cab lacks a usable IVA.

Strike the Mun!

The Mun has been struck:
Spoiler: Illustrated anecdote (click to show/hide)
Lessons learned: the mobile crane needs more ballast, I need to keep a towing dolly at the Munbase and I need to remember to actually include an ISRU converter next time I load something up with mining hardware and empty fuel tanks.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Well I asked and apparently the Interstellar devs don't think the Orion Pulse Rocket fits the mod. Damn.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sadly, it turns out that flying a submarine into Jupiter's atmosphere is not actually possible with RSS. Anything that touches the atmosphere instantly explodes regardless of heat shields or radiators.

Here is the last iteration of my entry vehicle:

That's a 500 tonne submarine with another 570 tonnes of heat shield and radiators. Survival rates during testing were mixed, but it seemed to perform better in thick atmospheres. It's main problem is that it's an extremely dense object, and any wings or airbrakes I added to help slow it down would quickly burn up.

I would have liked to include a picture of the utterly insane 10k tonne to LEO launch vehicle (SeaDragon, eat your heart out) I built to lift the submarine and its transfer stage. Unfortunately, memory problems broke the craft file before I could complete it and then somehow spread to the whole save, making it unplayable. KSP just isn't built to handle such massive creations.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

GAH

Started my GRAND CAMPAIGN, and it is quickly becoming apparent that parachutes do absolutely nothing. I can't seem to deploy them at any altitude that would give them time to deploy without them being ripped away, at least not at re-entry speeds.

So basically I'm losing pilots and thus money at a far higher rate then I should. BUT I TOTALLY GOT TO SPACE WITH THIS LAST ONE.

It doesn't matter because I can't ever land anything forever, but hey, that's a plus.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile

I've driven my monstrous ISRU rover well over 100 km as the space-crow flies, possibly as much as 200 km picking my way around craters. Doofrood & Halny Kerman are terrified going up gentle slopes (also steep 49-degree slopes, but that's understandable), but they like nothing better than bouncing down steep mountainsides at insane speeds, soaring through the vacuum when they hit bumps and barely avoiding rolling their rover.

Kerbal Monster Truck Program proceeds apace with the launch of the Mun Bus to handle crew movements around the Mun Base. In ground testing its caterpillar tracks made it slower but more maneuverable and less tip-happy than the mobile crane, and I expect I'll be doing less drifting with it. I also have two tankers in development; the larger will probably exceed the capacity of the launcher I use even if I manage to drive it underneath for attachment, so the smaller's likely to fly first.

My SSTO program just had its second success with the maiden flight of the Mk VII, which made orbit with enough delta-V to reach my LKO space station. It turned out I'd inadvertently left out some important RCS ports, so the ship was waved off after some docking near-disasters and I put it into a steep reentry trajectory to reach KSC without making another orbit.

Weight problems caused by unused oxidizer made the vehicle spin until I pumped everything to the rear, after which it straightened out nicely. I'd lost too much altitude while tumbling and didn't have quite enough fuel to make the runway, but I managed to stretch the glide enough to set down in the field just east of KSC and roll the rest of the way. A tailstrike on landing was the only damage I had to show for the flight.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

GAH

Started my GRAND CAMPAIGN, and it is quickly becoming apparent that parachutes do absolutely nothing. I can't seem to deploy them at any altitude that would give them time to deploy without them being ripped away, at least not at re-entry speeds.

So basically I'm losing pilots and thus money at a far higher rate then I should. BUT I TOTALLY GOT TO SPACE WITH THIS LAST ONE.

It doesn't matter because I can't ever land anything forever, but hey, that's a plus.
What's your peri when entering the Kerbal atmosphere? I feel like the answer is lower than 20km :P

Parachutes aren't for vertical landings, that's were rockets and lander legs are for.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:55:25 am by Dutchling »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

GAH

Sounds like you're coming in too steeply. Drop your peri to about 25-30km and let the air slow you down first. You can't pop your chutes safely until you're under 250m/s I believe. I think drogue chutes can go higher but you may not have them. The air should be doing most of the work though. Try altering your return.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

GAH

What's your peri when entering the Kerbal atmosphere? I feel like the answer is lower than 20km :P

Parachutes aren't for vertical landings, that's were rockets and lander legs are for.
Even coming directly at kerbal is doable sometimes but you kinda need to wait to bust the chutes out till 2000-3000m above ground, to give the air maximum time to slow you down.
Nom nom nom

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've done straight shots back to Kerbal from Mun at super high speed and we're talking maybe ten seconds between deployment and touchdown. It's edge of your seat "oh shit oh shit" and then you're at 5m/s and then landed. I usually just wait until my craft is going about 250m/s before deploying. That might be 1-2km above the surface. Don't ever deploy in the upper atmosphere.
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 848