Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 932008 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4035 on: June 06, 2014, 09:23:18 pm »

I find what war games lack is empathy. If war games want to be profound pieces of art, they should stop looking at things through traditional angles. Especially modern wargames. At this point being a Taliban soldier would be more engaging then another America wins hurrah hurrah. One thing we must remember is that while every narrative should have some light in it, the source of the light does not need to be the protagonist. And empathy /= the protagonist being a good person. It's about recognizing them to be people. Why must one soldier's death in a game be a tragedy and another soldier's death be a small victory? War is a tragic and miserable affair, and no-one's hands are clean by the end of it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: June 06, 2014, 09:29:10 pm »

Ok then... What about a game where it starts before the shooting part even begins

Where it sucks you into the character's world and the philosophies and situations that dictate the person's life.

Then... The game switches to the perspective of the other soldier's life...

Then another...

Then the game starts it is a series of missions...

then you gun each other down one by one and you are left feeling like why should you have ever bothered? What was really accomplished?

But that is a bit artsy

Also you are right Fniff it is what I call the Respect for Life. Detective Conan is a detective anime for example and if there is one thing the series does well it is that no matter how scummy the villain is, the series always treats their murder it like a tragedy and waste.

The fact that War just feels so pointless, so wasteful... is pretty much lost on most War games... because BOOM!!! POW POW POW!!! EXPLOSIONS!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:37:35 pm by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4037 on: June 06, 2014, 09:41:27 pm »

Most of the Germans in the army were bad people.

>_>

The same goes for Japan

>_>

I don't want to derail this... but I'll say that if the people in the German and Japanese army were predominantly bad people... Then the French, British, Russian, and American soldiers were not much better (In fact they weren't... but that is another story).
Americans performed high altitude firebombing of non-vital cities in Japan to kill civilians, they Atom bombed Nagasaki and Hiroshima to kill civilians, both cities had insignificant military presence.

The British destroyed Berlin and other civilian populations using similar "total war" strategies, the Germans did the same to London in retaliation.

The German Army committed genocide on a large scale. They performed mass executions Austrians, Czechs, Polish just because they were Austrian, Czech and Polish. You know this stuff.

Let's move on to a lesser known Japanese atrocity.

The Rape of Nanking, 1937, WWII hadn't even broken out yet. Do you know why it was called the Rape of Nanking? 20,000 women were raped, including infants, I mean BABIES, and elderly. Somewhere around 60,000 civilians were killed there by regular Japanese Army. The number is difficult to determine exactly because of the number BURNED and cast into the Yangtze River. This was perpetrated not by SS, not by fucking sturmgruppen, but by regular enlisted guys. There was a competition that was serialised in popular Japanese newspapers about a contest between two officers to see who could cut off 100 heads with their saber first. You can read about it if you like. They both exceeded their goals such that no one could tell who won.

Spoiler: Removed (click to show/hide)
That is a woman who was raped with a sword.

You can fuck right off if you don't think the people who did this were monsters.

Meanwhile Joseph Stalin's murder peen is becoming gigantoid while he kills 20 million of his own people, before the outbreak of WWII, where a further 20 million people die under his leadership.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:08:12 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

blazing glory

« Reply #4038 on: June 06, 2014, 09:43:13 pm »

I want Sniper Elite V2 minus the Xray kill cam so it would get a 12-13 rated instead of 18.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4039 on: June 06, 2014, 09:45:35 pm »

I want Sniper Elite V2 minus the Xray kill cam so it would get a 12-13 rated instead of 18.
I thought the X-ray thing was pretty neat when I played the demo.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: June 06, 2014, 09:49:34 pm »

That de-escalation was so sudden I felt my ears pop.

blazing glory

« Reply #4041 on: June 06, 2014, 09:50:16 pm »

I thought the X-ray thing was pretty neat when I played the demo.

It is pretty neat but that's what makes it stink because it bumps up the rating to 18 so I can't get it because I'm 13.

Isn't even that much different from Surgeon simulator and that's not 18 restricted....

AndClayton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: June 06, 2014, 09:50:27 pm »

A Dwarf Fortress mod taking DF to space and colonizing different planets, with in depth ecosystems and randomized fauna/lifeforms.

WINK WINK WINK WINK WINK WINK

blazing glory

« Reply #4043 on: June 06, 2014, 09:55:23 pm »

A Dwarf Fortress mod taking DF to space and colonizing different planets, with in depth ecosystems and randomized fauna/lifeforms.

We'd need to wait for 2 or 3 DF updates before that would be possible,mostly because that's how long Toady should take to allow us to explore adjacent region tiles.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4044 on: June 06, 2014, 09:56:27 pm »

That de-escalation was so sudden I felt my ears pop.
I feel I made my point, and it was super off-topic anyways. :p

Isn't there already a space ASCII game? It was pretty good when I played it, flying around and zapping space pirates, but I know it doesn't come anywhere close to DF's depth of course. c:

blazing glory

« Reply #4045 on: June 06, 2014, 10:01:14 pm »

Isn't there already a space ASCII game? It was pretty good when I played it, flying around and zapping space pirates, but I know it doesn't come anywhere close to DF's depth of course. c:

Yeah but unlike DF,ASCII sector isn't being worked on any more and it has nothing to do with management,nor does it have Dorfs.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: June 06, 2014, 10:05:56 pm »

@GUNINANRUNIN: Maybe remove the pictures then if you haven't already. Just for courtesies sake.

I thought a game like Theme Hospital but set in a school would be interesting. You have students arrive each day to attend classes, higher year students earn you more money but also require more specific classrooms and are more picky. The focus would be on laying out the school efficiently so you can have students progress through the year level areas as efficiently as possible.

Of course humour. You'd need to hire hall monitors to prevent things like false fire alarms, cleaners to check for cherry bombs in toilets or to clean rampart toilet papering of halls. Students could play tricks on teachers like putting buckets of water over doors if the teachers are late to a class, this would all raise your staffs stress levels requiring a good staff room for them to relax in.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4047 on: June 06, 2014, 10:08:42 pm »

@GUNINANRUNIN: Maybe remove the pictures then if you haven't already. Just for courtesies sake.
I had a warning, but yeah you're right. That kind of thing shouldn't be anywhere.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: June 06, 2014, 10:21:41 pm »

You can fuck right off if you don't think the people who did this were monsters.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I thought a game like Theme Hospital but set in a school would be interesting. You have students arrive each day to attend classes, higher year students earn you more money but also require more specific classrooms and are more picky. The focus would be on laying out the school efficiently so you can have students progress through the year level areas as efficiently as possible.

I honestly wonder if instead the game should have a cripplingly small budget that never changes.

Instead the game is about making the most out of a aging infrastructure and finding alternative ways to make cash (bake sales for example)... as well as managing the talents of the teachers and using their ability to work unpaid to do it.

(Yeah Teachers do a LOT of work unpaid. It is why in one place where they made it illegal for teachers to go on strike, did the teachers retaliate by offering NO extra-curricular activities... Since those always went unpaid)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:24:05 pm by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4049 on: June 06, 2014, 11:58:00 pm »

R.L. Stine Tournament Fighter. I want to play as Monster Blood.
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 577