Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 931878 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4005 on: June 06, 2014, 12:54:20 am »

I sort of doubt that it will go anywhere, just because most of these small projects don't.

I sure as hell hope it gets somehwere, it's basically "The Game" I want to exist. I will gladly throw money at it if it gets to that stage.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: June 06, 2014, 01:14:42 am »

very, very early.  The site has placeholder descriptions.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: June 06, 2014, 02:31:20 am »

Yeah.  The only reason it's even going right now is it got an impressive reaction from people on Steam Greenlight--it's actually already been Greenlit, which I think is a bit ridiculous considering how it's barely even out of conceptual stages.

But as unlikely as it is to succeed, I shall hope!  Because aahh I want a dragon game already aaahhh.

The website isn't what I'd use to judge most things, though... I've seen games that are already released and their site still has a single default Wordpress "welcome to blogging" post on the front page.  8D  Some people are just not good at waabsite.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: June 06, 2014, 02:35:46 am »

Honestly with how much people get burned on early access games (most don't finish and others get severely reduced content) I'd put "Don't buy early access" under my list of rules on buying videogames.

But given that my rules include things like "Don't preorder if you can help it" and "Don't buy until you read one negative review"... they aren't the best rules.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: June 06, 2014, 02:54:25 am »

Yeah, I'm torn on the whole subject.  On the one hand, if it worked the way the developers always seem to think/hope it will, bringing in a good chunk of funding for a final big push right at release so they can do some shiny stretch stuff and make it super awesome when it launches... that would be sweet.  Plenty of games have terrible launches and then clean up later, once the playerbase has had time to properly destroy it, unless they never financially recover from their terrible launch.  Early access would theoretically allow those trashy early launches to be sort of swept under the rug.

On the other hand, all that usually happens is they don't actually get anywhere, people on both sides of the customer and provider line get incredibly angry at one another, and nothing productive is done at all about anything!  And then the game fails and everyone is bitter and disappointed.  Aaah industry.

My general approach is "how much is it and how does it compare to something else I could use that for."  Thus whether or not I consider an early access worth it depends directly on how much they're charging for it, aha.  I mean, I try to keep things in context... I blow more than $20 on a trip to Friendly's, and that's going to keep me entertained for like, an hour at most.  Probably not even. 

I don't even know what I'm talking about now it is 4 AM and this is super off topic.  Sorry guuuuuys~
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: June 06, 2014, 03:01:37 am »

My rule of thumb has been...

Early Access is being used so much that early access games should be judged as games now instead of just holding back.

Or rather the grace period where early access games were "unreviewable because it wouldn't be fair" is over because Early Access has now become a feature, a feature that games are being sold on.

For kickstarted games, sure... the game isn't done and isn't being sold... For games being sold early access? Sorry, you sell it you are held responsible for the product that you are selling...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4011 on: June 06, 2014, 03:04:34 am »

I don't think you should buy an early access game expecting it to be complete.. That's kind of the definition, isn't it..? I mean you can't review a game that isn't finished.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: June 06, 2014, 03:07:14 am »

I don't think you should buy an early access game expecting it to be complete.. That's kind of the definition, isn't it..? I mean you can't review a game that isn't finished.

You are not reviewing the complete game you are reviewing the Early Access

You can review a game's feature. Well you are reviewing the game's early access feature.

After all people buy early access games based upon the early access... and many people would skip an early access game if they heard it was basically unplayable (which early access often tries to disguise).

As well the speed of development is also fair for such a review.

One of the games I've most been interested in a while I've staved off because of a helpful review that basically said: A) The Early Access game is garbage in its current state... and B) the development is glacial.

As well many Early Access games outright try to disguise how early their games are in development.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:12:24 am by Neonivek »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: June 06, 2014, 03:11:48 am »

My approach to this is somewhat different - if you release an early access game, you've released a product. It needs to be able to stand on its own merits - it cannot be unplayable, it cannot have an important part of the gameplay so unfinished as to be unusable. The continued development is pretty much a bonus, not something you can fall back on.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4014 on: June 06, 2014, 03:20:43 am »

You are not reviewing the complete game you are reviewing the Early Access

You can review a game's feature. Well you are reviewing the game's early access feature.

After all people buy early access games based upon the early access... and many people would skip an early access game if they heard it was basically unplayable (which early access often tries to disguise).

As well the speed of development is also fair for such a review.

One of the games I've most been interested in a while I've staved off because of a helpful review that basically said: A) The Early Access game is garbage in its current state... and B) the development is glacial.

As well many Early Access games outright try to disguise how early their games are in development.
Oh no you're right. I was thinking about Alpha builds or something when I said that. I don't really keep up with anything on or know anything about Steam Greenlight, but it's like Kickstarter right?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: June 06, 2014, 03:35:48 am »

Nope

Greenlight is just a method for indie games to get on Steam.

A lot of completely finished games get Greenlit (For example Dominions 3 and 4 were Greenlit)

I am actually starting to dislike the practice of developers actively asking their community to greenlit them. Mostly because it seems quite effective in getting games that have no business being greenlit... greenlit. As well a few I have no idea how they were greenlit.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:40:03 am by Neonivek »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: June 06, 2014, 03:59:24 am »

My general rule on early-access is I would not consider buying anything unles it's already a fun game (e.g. KSP).

This particular game though has a de-facto monopoly on dragon-simulators, and if my early access purchase gives it a .1% greater chance of success then damn the rules I'm going to buy it.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: June 06, 2014, 11:48:04 am »

A gritty World War II FPS...from the British perspective!

I am sick and tired of seeing war games which focus solely on the American engagements, Britain was fighting the war before their involvement and had great successes following. We do seem to get the odd Battle of Britain era flight simulator, but even those are drying up.

It would be nice to have some more recognition!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: June 06, 2014, 12:24:37 pm »

I am sick and tired of seeing war games which focus solely on the American engagements, Britain was fighting the war before their involvement and had great successes following. We do seem to get the odd Battle of Britain era flight simulator, but even those are drying up.

A lot of those exist, even the earlier cods had them.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4019 on: June 06, 2014, 04:41:48 pm »

A lot of those exist, even the earlier cods had them.
This.

And generally you don't see much WW2 stuff anymore, aside from world of tanks.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 577