Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 932075 times)

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4560 on: October 10, 2014, 08:08:35 pm »

on the amiga, i used to play an unofficial battletech type game, i can't remember the name.  it was basically a single screen hex map, you pick the mechs on your side and the enemy side and go at it turn based and it followed battletech rules fairly closely.

on a similar theme, there was also battletech; the crescent hawks inception.

i would like to see games of either kind, it doesn't have to be "official" battletech.

i'm thinking about getting back into programming after a hiatus, this time with a VHL language like java.  i may just pursue the concept of a tile based mech combat strategy game as a way to teach myself the new language.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:11:03 pm by starscream »

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: October 10, 2014, 08:44:24 pm »

snip

It seems like it'd be a great artistic challenge to communicate the experience of surfing.  The physical sensations of riding a wave or running rapids are critical to the experience and you'd be hard-pressed to communicate the same feelings some other way.

Maybe have the character ragdoll and circulate if s/he bites it.  Keep the camera close to the character.  Design it to be played on surround sound with realistic audio levels.  Sit in a tub of room-temperature (or cold) water when you're waiting for a wave ;)

blazing glory

« Reply #4562 on: October 10, 2014, 08:53:51 pm »

Not exactly a game but close enough.

I'd like a sort of virtual reality glove, personally I think Oculus Rift will experience a lot problems such as people running into objects, I also think the end result will be too realistic, I'd much rather a simple VR glove, instead of using a mouse you wear a glove in one hand and using WSAD in the other hand, and using a moniter, upping up the realism without making it too realistic, I'd rather my games not to be so realistic that it actually feels like I'm shooting people, which is why I probably won't be using the Oculus Rift, even after they work out the details.

Maybe I'm stupid but I'll be taking a cautious approach.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: October 10, 2014, 09:12:57 pm »

I think the next step for VR gaming is the omnidirectional treadmill, but that's just what I'd like to see next now that the Rift is pretty much a proven concept. To me Rift seems kinda silly since you can't actually turn 360 degrees seated at your computer.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: October 11, 2014, 01:08:58 am »

a STALKER game done in the Arma 3 engine.

'nuff said.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4565 on: October 11, 2014, 01:10:41 am »

I think the next step for VR gaming is the omnidirectional treadmill, but that's just what I'd like to see next now that the Rift is pretty much a proven concept. To me Rift seems kinda silly since you can't actually turn 360 degrees seated at your computer.
Somehow, The Lawnmower Man comes to mind when I hear that idea.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: October 11, 2014, 03:26:42 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTtfAQEeAJI

the future is here
._.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: October 11, 2014, 10:55:47 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTtfAQEeAJI

the future is here

Last I saw the Omni it was a lot more clacky and annoying, with these slots for your feet to go into and a more restrictive harness. That prototype is much slicker, I like it a lot. Are they still using Kinect or do they have their own solution?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: October 13, 2014, 11:08:49 pm »

I think you'll have serious problems with immersion and uncanny valley-like sensory problems with nearly all sensation peripherals, barring breakthroughs in MMI.   Your visual information and the derived  expectations and your proprioception and tactile information aren't going to match up and I bet that is incredibly jarring.  Imagine playing wiimote games, but you can only see a stranger's body not quite doing what yours is.

As another example, you've got your omni-directional treadmill, but that doesn't simulate walking over anything but a smooth surface, maybe even just a flat surface.  Now, unless you're playing a minimalist game, there aren't very many surfaces like a treadmill and you certainly can't walk on a treadmill the way you can on largish stationary objects like ships, train tops, and continents.  You're definitely not going to recreate experiences like scrambling through a boulder field or wading through a creek.  Even if it does by providing uneven surfaces, it completely misses out on the sensations of shaky rocks, cold snow and water, and the consequences of leaping and missing.  To me, that is a huge deal for the following reason.

I can see the point of VR from a sensate or fluff perspective as in a gamer focused on experiencing something.  However, when I put myself in that seat, I don't see the point of VR if it doesn't accurately and precisely create the environment or experience.  I think, at the moment, you'll achieve way more for communicating an experience with good art (Art?) than you will with peripherals.  Our inner ear, proprioception, and sense of touch make this a pain in the ass. How do you trick the inner ear and skin to feel something forces and sensations that aren't there?  How do you sync your position en virtu with your own proprioceptive information?  I know the peripherals aren't within my means and it strikes me as a very, very, very hard problem if you're only coming at it from an electronics hardware angle.

From a mechanics gamer point of view, the only point of VR i see is to try to make physical skill a bigger part of video games, which is a cool thing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  There's not much need to deceive the senses here and most of the games are casual representations of reality.  Obviously that doesn't have to be the case, but it is and most people actually aren't that interested in mechanics and fluff, hard and accurate, for going postal or being robbed or any number of horrible things.  You can abstract the fluff, while retaining a lot of the mechanical aspects of a game/activity a la Receiver; you shoot ultra-realistic guns at robotic turrets and drones instead of people.  Obviously, most people like combinations of fluffy and crunchy in their games.  Anyway, the point is that this sort of game tends to be more casual and be less focused on VIDEO GAMES and more on gaming, more generally.

I'm not trying to belittle oculus rift or specialized peripherals, but they are only one part of a solution for VR.  If you're not hacking the brain, you've got a mighty task to accomplish in recreating many (might as well be all) sensory experiences on demand.  Products like oculus rift and trackir have been great boons for flying and driving games, but they've dodged some of the bullets with tactile immersion.  Both activities normally occur in a sitting position with little physical exertion, relative to running, fighting, etc..

I'm not too excited about VR until I see some consumer nerve to wire MMI.  That's pie in the sky, but the technology is present in prosthesis and academic research (it'll be ready in 50 years).  In any case, I believe that hoodwinking the central nervous system will probably be easier than hoodwinking our whole body.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:10:39 pm by Rez »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: October 14, 2014, 01:01:27 am »

Does Hardware You Wish Existed count? [Puts on a silly voice while describing]

I want really, really tiny cooling fans capable of producing >5 lbs of thrust, and batteries that can fit within a tablet and support 12 such fans for over 36 hours without recharging. And I want the fans positioned two on each side and four on each face. And three cores dedicated to analyzing fan speed and motion input, as well as short-range triangulation technology with four triangulation points for similar devices to use within it's four corners.

This tablet, when paired with another tablet of the same make, would be able to fly and locate itself relative to the other tablet due to the above tech.

Now, if these tablets were capable of synching and communicating with eachother as if they were a single multicored multimonitored tablet, or computing as a cloud of devices (hur dur cloud computing means something else why), then you could keep buying more of them, and they'd all work together as one (buy SUPER AMAZING BACKPACK and they will charge themselves off of the power supply in backpack, which is recharged by a kinetic gel (converts motion AND blunt force trauma into electricity, protecting devices inside)). Then you could literally be surrounded by a cloud of images forming a single image, immersing yourself in the image around you.

Also, though the tablets would only be able to lift their own weight plus four to eighteen pounds, you could get peripheral, with several, several more fans, designed to support weight of immense human, plus ankle bands with further triangulators, two such fan-plates would be able to become omnidirectional treadmill, when you lift your foot the plate under moves with it, but only on X and Y axis, except when the terrain changes in-game the plate will move up and down to match the terrain. The plates would constantly be floating ~1 foot above ground, but you would not notice because terrain would feel consistent. You could also crouch naturally, and try jumping, and there would not be restraining belt stopping you from doing so; do not try to roll, though, because that could result in injury.

So imagine that you are surrounded by screens to the point where you are immersed in the world completely, and each one boosts the overall computing capability of the whole. And that due to wind power, you are able to have an omnidirectional treadmill that is capable of simulating sloped and uneven surfaces.

[sigh]

Unfortunately, in order to get a fan to put out more force, you need a bigger blade, or more speed. Bigger blade means that it won't fit in the case that I want it to. Faster speeds means that you need a more durable casing and bearings, which means bigger case again, and it also means that it drains the batteries faster.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: October 14, 2014, 06:09:17 am »

I very much agree with you. I think that VR stuff is going to suffer from Uncanny Valley like problems when the initial novelty wears off, and your left not feeling satisfied because your brain isn't getting quite the feedback it expects from the situation your in. Abstraction has some real advantages here, much like how stylization can help avoid Uncanny Valley problems in art.

I do think something like the Occulus has an advantage here though - it's basically a 3d display that coveres your eyes. There seems to me to be plenty of room to experement with it beyond using it purely as a head-in-game VR thing. You might even be able to use it to efficiently control your desktop or something more abstract like that.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: October 15, 2014, 03:03:16 pm »

I want a new open world RPG that isn't turn-based and has a decent amout of detail.
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: October 16, 2014, 04:02:36 pm »

I want a new open world RPG that isn't turn-based and has a decent amout of detail.

Hm...The Witcher 3? Not sure how open-world that is (I'm not up on the news despite the fact this game is being made in the very country I live in), but seems like a good one to me.

Also, I said it like twenty times already, but I want a PokeMOBA more than ever. Heck, one of my friends may or may not try to make it (naturally it would not be monetized lest GameFreaks get angry) but damn this one will probably take a while.

Basically, you choose two 'Mons before the game starts and can alternate between them in the game. When one dies, the other is automatically forced out of their PokeBall and you die as well, then tough luck. Could allow for some interesting plays and make the game stand out a bit more.
It would also have to be 3v3 because I don't want to imagine the chaos of a technically 10v10 MOBA game...

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #4573 on: October 16, 2014, 04:05:43 pm »

A small point-n-click horror game where things happen somewhat on a schedule, and the only way to avert certain events is to be mindful of the game's "schedule". You're told from the start when some things happen (assuming you don't take action to prevent them), and it's down to you to find the possibilities.
So like the idea of Groundhog Day but the horror isn't existential?

Not an actual groundhog day-type scenario in the story, but kinda becomes one as you savescum restart the game to interpret the hints. The idea is that you know exactly when something is going to happen, but you don't know the circumstances or people involved (beyond "a man" or "three women" etc); just the time, and maybe location.

Yo. This game literally exists (more or less) in boardgame form. It's called Tragedy Looper.

Synopsis:

Up to three players (protagonists) play against one player who is the Mastermind. The Mastermind picks a script (or, more likely, the group plays them in order.) A number of characters with different abilities are set on a simple four-location map at the beginning of the game. Each character may also have a secret role given by the script, which gives them other abilities known only to the Mastermind. There are also a number of incidents, which the players know in advance (i.e. there is a murder on day 2) and culprits thereof.

Each turn, the Mastermind plays three cards face down, followed by the Protagonists (collectively) doing the same. The cards are revealed, counters are adjusted, characters move, and abilities activate and then--

The Protagonists usually lose horribly without a clue. The Mastermind isn't even supposed to explain why.

HOWEVER! Each time the protagonists lose, they loop back in time to the beginning of the game, up to the limit specified by the script. If they ever survive an entire loop without dying or losing, they win. Each time they know more and more about the script, while the Mastermind must be careful not to reveal too much, lest the Protagonists figure it out and thwart him.

The other thing that prevents the game from devolving into pure chaos is the possible hidden abilities are fixed. Each script has a Main Plot and one or two Subplots, all from a list that both the Protagonists and Mastermind know. For example, if the Main Plot is "Murder Plan", then someone in the game is the Key Person (who ends the loop immediately if killed), another is the Killer, and a third is the Brain. However, the Main Plot "A Place to Protect" also has a Key Person (and a Cultist). So, if you realize that the loop ended when, say, the Officer Worker perished, then you figure he must be a Key Person. But which Main Plot is it...? There's other rules to benefit the Protagonists, such as the fact that incidents can't happen unless the culprit has enough paranoia counters. And with enough Goodwill counters on a character, you can get their (known) abilities, too.

The game is unfortunately out of my price range ($39.99) and I don't have a board-gaming group nearby, but there are PbF games if you want to play as a protagonist. Also, by the very nature of the game, you can only play as the Protagonists in a given scenario once. But it sounds pretty much like what you're describing.
Check out my books at O and H Books

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: October 16, 2014, 06:51:54 pm »

That is the new fable game, that was shown at 2014 e3.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 577