Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926860 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2175 on: April 28, 2013, 11:15:48 pm »

I'd just be happy with Banjo and Kszooie in Smash Bros...
Probably never gonna happen, now that Rare is owned by Microsoft...
But they got Snake and Sonic didn't they? 3rd party characters aren't totally locked out.
 Well, one can only live in hope...
Except that Snake and Sonic aren't owned by one of Nintendo's direct competitors in the console wars :P
But yeah, one can always hope.

Rare pretty much defines the period from NES to N64 for me. I can't think of any game that has more love, polish and personality than an old-school Rare title. Nothing would make me happier than all the old Rare talent receiving the licenses their franchises back and doing right by the impressive standard they've set.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: April 29, 2013, 12:49:24 am »

But now they're all making kinect sports games, or not even that since motion gaming quieted down.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: April 29, 2013, 09:36:55 am »

This has probably already been mentioned before, but I'm rolling the idea around of developing a 2d cutaway ship building/management game.  Being able to build and install different ship systems with the ability to upgrade systems as you progressed.  Sort of like FTL mixed with Starbound, but more focused on the ship management and being able to build rooms and placing objects however you want.   The shipbuilding part isn't the hard part for me, its more of how to make a game like this fun and with purpose.

Maybe having different branches to specialize in like research, industry, or military.  Taking on different missions and getting paid.  Maybe even adding a colonization aspect.  The sandbox part would be fun, I think, only for a little bit.  Having some over arcing goal or end game would be ideal.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:49:22 am by postal83 »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: April 29, 2013, 10:07:16 am »

All except the 2D bit that sounds like what Blockade Runner wants to be.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: April 29, 2013, 11:22:37 am »

This has probably already been mentioned before, but I'm rolling the idea around of developing a 2d cutaway ship building/management game.  Being able to build and install different ship systems with the ability to upgrade systems as you progressed.  Sort of like FTL mixed with Starbound, but more focused on the ship management and being able to build rooms and placing objects however you want.   The shipbuilding part isn't the hard part for me, its more of how to make a game like this fun and with purpose.

Sounds like you want something that works a bit like SimTower.

I could imagine that you'd start with a "shell" hull of a chosen size and then place (with various restrictions, based upon locations on location) engine-rooms of various capabilities, cabins (port-holed/windowed ones only certain distances above the Plimsoll Line), access point (again, above water-level), perhaps a "glass bottom" room or a sub-dock (below, obviously), and funnels and bridges and the like at the top (the funnel(s) also needing connections to the engine-room(s)).  Crew and (where required) Passenger lifts/stairwells need placing.  Closeness of cabins to the engine-room creates bad feeling amongst those so assigned (annoying for crew, perhaps less so for the engineers than the top-brass, but enjoyment-destroying for paying passengers if you're making a pleasure-liner).  Leisure facilities will range from simple crew-rooms to deck-top artificial surfing pools for fee-paying passengers.  Simple galleys would be required, and perhaps far posher kitchens adajcent to the luxury restaurant room.

Of course if you're designing for cargo then it'll be crew-only (perhaps with some 'hitcher' room) for most of the facilities and a lot of the shell (and shell-top) space will be specifically cargo-holding space.  Your luxury cruise-liner will balance in the other direction (storage for stores, rather than for in-transit, but room for bulk passenger).

Perhaps you just want to design for a simple purpose.  Or perhaps the game allows you to choose your ship's destination and destiny.  Going on a route past Mozambique (or some fictional shoreline that is equivalent), and you need to add anti-boarding measures such as razor-wire along the walkways and patrol-posts for armed crewmen to spend time in on vigilant watch.  Spend money on armed guards, and/or on training your existing crew in defensive practices.  Your luxury liner could earn bigger bucks when the government enters a war and is willing to pay a premium for a troop-transport (some refitting necessary to make luxury cabins into increased multi-occupancy for units of squaddies, maybe repainting the sleek-white lines to battleship grey), and again features for ship-protection (ASDIC? Anti-missile automated Gatling guns?)... And once you return to civilian use (presumably having survived the tour of duty, but maybe with damage needing dealing with) you need to "posh it up again".

Periodically better engines/drive-systems/kitchens/entertainments can be purchased and fit into the hull (replacing the original equipment, or adding to it to make the even more luxurious dining experience with the stage show feature... needing the hiring of appropriate entertainers along with the usual hiring-and-firing process for the below-decks or above-decks crew), giving new values for speed, fuel-efficiency (don't forget the fuel-tanks), self-sustenance (water recycling/desalination, later maybe hydroponics for fresh vegetables even on the longest cruises/missions), self-defence, storm and weather resilience, etc, etc.  Some of the additions can be done by merely refitting (freshening up cabins), others would require being taken off-duty (engine replacement) and perhaps even dry-docked.

For a really big refit (assuming you can't sell the ship, either as a gutted hulk or a going concern, then buy commission yourself a new empty/partly shell) perhaps you can pay heavy wonga for dry-docking your vessel for a longer term and extending the shell in various allowable ways (lengthening sounds easy enough, raising the superstructure height sounds like you might need to simultaneously deepen the keel, or at least suffer an upwardly-moving waterline and thus converting the lower port-holed cabins into being windowless ones... and either way this might have impact on which ports you can easily service, or at least whether tides cause restrictions on arrival/departure), thus giving you the room for more cabins, storage or other features.

Apart from the piracy/military dangers (if you want to implement those) I imagine you could also have to deal with heavy seas, icebergs, other natural dangers.  Also the wearing down or breaking down or destructive damage (if not maintained well enough, both in-use by the resident engineers and at scheduled dry-dock stop-overs) of ship features.  You could keep your costs down by running your rusting hulk of a cargo ship (at least you don't get any passengers complaining), but you'll probably lose out if cargo gets knocked overboard in a swell and of course if the ship is sunk then if it's not automatically end-game then you're in a "salvage mode" situation at best.  Did you get enough insurance at Lloyds Of London to cover that process? ;)

Oh, I can see this game being really rather simple (just cater for general mission demands, much as with SimTower) to being a quite complicated multi-plottable management game with changing external influences (mostly according to what routes you're servicing, and across what expanses...  need not be "real world", so long as you get "expected to pass within 50 nautical miles of a Pirate Paradise" or "this route needs you to navigate a canal between oceans" or "the destination port has a low-tide channel depth of only <so many> metres", and of course the distance required and speed you can travel so you can ensure you have enough supplies).

Perhaps have the opportunity to maintain a fleet of boats (once your original barge earns you enough money to create a ferry, or a Mississippi gambling riverboat or a floating crane platform (earn money for supplying salvaging capabilities to others, or lets you rescue your own craft when things go wrong!) or an oil-tanker...  Or even oil-platforms?  And if you get a selection of hulls to choose from I'd quite like to see (at a premium) a submarine shell that you can equip.  Perhaps an advanced challenge is to make it a cruise-submarine...  Paying guests.  Pressure-capable viewports, diving pools for Scuba (or Alvin?) expeditions, deck-features that can survive submersion but can still be entertaining when you surface according to schedule (weather conditions allowing).  Extensive 'indoor' entertainments for the rest of the time.

There, a lot of scope.  And because of that I imagine someone has already done something within the phase-space of this suggestion, but (despite being a management-game fan) the closest I actually know of is the entirely ship-less and quite lacking in water thing that is SimTower, still. ;)

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: April 29, 2013, 11:42:17 am »

Actually, you hit it pretty close on, I had a sim toweresque visual in mind when I was thinking of this project.  But I think you are talking more of maritime, where I'm thinking more of space.  But it would be easy to take your concept but apply it to a sci-fi theme.  Nice write-up, really great ideas in there.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: April 29, 2013, 12:18:29 pm »

Speaking of these SaitoTowers games, I was googling around for a game like sort of... Little Computer People mix with a 2D-side building game. I'd like to see / make a game like that. Basically 2D "The Sims" with slightly less direct control over people.

Kairosoft also has a SimTower inspired mall management sim, don't remember... Mall Story, or something like that.

Anyway, I came across Droid Towers for android, basically a clone of SimTower... except it's now open-source! It's here: https://github.com/pplante/droidtowers.git.

Maybe someone can fork the source and make it about spaceships or something :D (it uses LibGDX so I *think* it should work for both HTML5 and Windows)

EDIT: Another thing that could inspire a game like this is maybe Paradroid, even if not the gameplay, I remember each ship having a side view of the "levels" (such as Engineering or whatever). So you could remake the robo-freighter if you wanted, hehe.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: April 29, 2013, 01:43:37 pm »

@Starver & postal83:

You should look at this...  http://www.starshipcorporation.com/
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: April 29, 2013, 02:20:24 pm »

Actually, you hit it pretty close on, I had a sim toweresque visual in mind when I was thinking of this project.  But I think you are talking more of maritime, where I'm thinking more of space.  But it would be easy to take your concept but apply it to a sci-fi theme.  Nice write-up, really great ideas in there.

Ahh, yes,  I was just thinking of a ship ship, when you said 'ship'. ;)  For space, you probably don't have the inherent limitations of a "hull shell" (so can ignore the "dry dock" stuff a little, unless making (space) dry-dock a necessary limitation), if you just need to ensure there's a good air-tight and strong connection to any new structural modules you add on the outside.  Perhaps the outermost block(s) of any modules must be vacuum-rated (or vacuum-rated hull sections be placed around everything else).

@Aristabulus: I'll check that out shortly.  Although I'm a little afraid that this might force me to change my own little idle project to avoid copying something I've already seen, if it's too close to my ideas.  (These ideas being about interplanetary craft in 3D, not the SimTower-like thing...  While I was still thinking of boats in cross-section I was happily musing away without even infringing on my own "I'll get it finished eventually" idea...  But now we're dealing with space it's getting a bit close to the knuckle.  I don't mind sharing my ideas, I just don't want whatever I eventually roll out to look too derivative.  Even of things that came out after I started constructing the initial concept.)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: April 29, 2013, 03:10:21 pm »

Also, I BADLY want a game where you play as tin soldiers/something else in an enormous house (think all those rats maps in TF2, CS etc.)
Toy Story was nowhere near good enough.

I mean, of all things, it's the most plausible "large-scale" game design I wanted so far - since you won't make an Internet Explorers game or a Dwarf City, but such a game would be perfectly possible.

Fighting with little toy guns, flying on RC airplanes, trying to scale down the staircase...Or fending off cats. GOD, THE CATS!

In other news, remember my Heroes of Might and Magic 7 thread I posted earlier?
A major update happened literally a while ago and I'd like some more feedback. (because barring 2 other threads, that section of the forums is as dead if not deadier than the Heroes IV one.)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: April 29, 2013, 03:56:36 pm »

Army Men?  I remember liking the multiplayer.  The plot itself was completely forgettable though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2186 on: April 29, 2013, 07:00:40 pm »

Army Men?  I remember liking the multiplayer.  The plot itself was completely forgettable though.
I loved that game. The story seemed hardcore when I was a kid, with all the prejudice and stuff. Number two was better, and there were about six different colours of army men. Red, Blue (The French. they get steamrolled early on by the Tan), Tan (The Germans. they kill everything. the silver is on their side at least some of the time, I think), Silver, Green (Americans, of course. they save the day, etc., etc.), just to name a few.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: April 29, 2013, 08:22:19 pm »

Maybe this game already exists, but I want to see a game that genuinely feels like an RTS being played from the perspective of a soldier on the ground. Players can buy vehicles and upgrades from their base, and you can destroy your enemy's buildings to deprive them of those advantages. Destroying the power plant makes operations slower, destroying the supply silo reduces the other team's ability to purchase stuff, etc.

Base buildings are fully modeled and functional fortifications, rather than decorative spawn points with health bars. Players can make a last stand on the roof of the command building, tanks roll out of factories one at a time, and massively overpowered base defenses need the power plant to continue working. Standard RTS balance and progression is there too, so the first tank to enter a match can only be overcome with a zerg rush until both sides have tanks, up to air units (though excluding unlimited-range Press-X-to-win superweapons).

To really get a good experience though you'd need a lot of players, at least 16 per team with a significant amount of bots to flesh out the battles. 4v4 is hardly comparable to the armies amassed during even the early stages of an RTS game.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2188 on: April 29, 2013, 08:26:07 pm »

Maybe this game already exists..
-partial snip-
Eh. Not on the scale that RTS' are normally on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: April 29, 2013, 08:32:14 pm »

Uh, that sounds like the Empires mod, on the source engine.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 577