Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550082 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #225 on: October 24, 2011, 05:39:51 am »

At least in Morrowind you would search half an hour for the place you needed to be because of the nice inaccurate descriptions you got.
Yeah, that was FUN!  ::)  ;)

I actually thought it were. Well, except for the worst cases. One of Morrowind's biggest charms was waltzing around running into stuff, and having somewhat vague descriptions enabled you to, well, waltz around and lrun into stuff. Great stuff, as long as you actually found the first objective in the end, of course ;)

it's there.
you can turn off quest markers and only go with the compass.
it's one of the features.
there was a youtube video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkoGX-qEiWg
here it's update to october 23.
I really hope they've made the game actually playable with it turned off, though. Descriptions and such, I mean. Otherwise the setting would just be meaningless.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 24, 2011, 05:40:42 am »

I've had it pre-ordered for a while. Yes, I am excited. Yes, I enjoyed vanilla Oblivion, although of course it had many flaws, not least the terrible story. Yes, I fully intend to enjoy this, most likely for several days non-stop... :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 24, 2011, 05:41:59 am »

From what I've seen so far I'm quite looking forward to it.

-With what they learned from Fallout 3 I'm sure they fixed the level scaling which was the biggest issue with Oblivion.
-The design is much better overall(whether npcs or the environement itself, less flashy and more serious).
-The interface looks ghastly as usual but hopefully we will see a mod for that very soon.

As for them claiming it's a new engine, it makes me laugh, it's so obviously an updated version of the fallout/oblivion engine...

What I'm the most worried about is story, Oblivion was terrible on that(with the exception of the dark brotherhood questline), Fallout 3 was a lot better(the person that did that dark brotherhood questline got promoted to overview stories, at least they can recognize talent when they see it). Hopefully skyrim will put the bar even higher :).

As for quest markers, now there is even a spell that tells you where to go, tracing a "light line" on the ground, Fable style :p.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 24, 2011, 06:11:21 am »

As for quest markers, now there is even a spell that tells you where to go, tracing a "light line" on the ground, Fable style :p.
At least that makes some in-game sense, in some abstract weird way. I always thought of the quest marker as an abstraction for decent directions, they probably couldn't be bothered to voice-act all directions so they invented the marker.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2011, 03:57:35 pm »

If I tried to interrupt a conversation they were having with another NPC, for example, they would politely ask me to wait a moment.

Ah, thank you Bethesda. Between this and the improved Get-out-of-my-house-damnit system you've corrected a number of tropes.

The live-action trailer for skyrim has been released. One minute and five of live-action and decent CGI, Granted, straw does not catch fire like that.

Good news, we have some requirements and you can have animal companions, the bad news? Vampirism is transmitted through a goodamn life-drain spell again, just. like. morrowind.

IT'S BEEN A DECADE! COULD YOU AT LEAST HAVE GONE THROUGH THE TROUBLE TO ADD A BITE ANIMATION!?

Okay, all better and back to my fanboyish self.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2011, 05:24:05 pm »

The live-action trailer for skyrim has been released. One minute and five of live-action and decent CGI, Granted, straw does not catch fire like that.

Somebody messed with the audio and made that trailer infinitely better.

Still stoked about this, even though I won't play it for at least a year :P.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 24, 2011, 05:46:59 pm »

Somebody messed with the audio and made that trailer infinitely better.

Still stoked about this, even though I won't play it for at least a year :P.

God, makes me wonder why, WHY IS THERE NO FREAKING FANTASY MOVIES ANYMOREEEE!
And btw I preferred the original. Voice over kinda ruins it imo :p.

Is it still the music composer of oblivion for skyrim? I personally didn't like his Oblivion pieces very much(sorry that video made me wonder :p).

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 24, 2011, 06:00:44 pm »

Someone should put the video to voice clips from the 20 minute demo.

"So, you can see how the townspeople react to you differently depending on the situation... You can look at this sword in your inventory screen, we put a lot of detail into the models... there's the dragon, you have to attack its wings first..."
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 24, 2011, 06:37:16 pm »

Personally I think it'd be awesome if you didn't have a map at all- At least not a magical, location-tracking one that shows where you are anywhere in the world. At least, not without using the appropriate magic to summon one!
It'd be far more interesting if you had a drawn map, and had to use landmarks and such to determine where you were on it.
But the unrealistic map mechanic isn't going to make me enjoy this any less, so ehh. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #234 on: October 24, 2011, 07:53:54 pm »

Does anyone want to trade me Skyrim for a bunch of steam games/TF2 items?

I have $50 in games, plus another $15 value or so in TF2 items.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 25, 2011, 12:00:17 pm »

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #236 on: October 25, 2011, 12:53:33 pm »

Requirements are up.

wait, i can actually play it on "high" ...
fine.
THE CHALLENGE IS ON. MAY THE FPS BE WITH ME.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 25, 2011, 12:59:25 pm »

Same!

but then again, isnt this just oblivion's engine with some little upgrades?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 25, 2011, 01:27:10 pm »

Seems more like a rehaul of the Oblivion engine to me. Hopefully getting to at least some of the problems the previous engine had.
Love, scriver~

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 25, 2011, 02:14:13 pm »

From what I've read, Skyrim's Creation Engine is a totally new propariety engine, custom-built in-house by them especially for Skyrim.  It isn't Oblivion's engine, even with an overhaul.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 896