Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550149 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #240 on: October 25, 2011, 02:35:53 pm »

Somebody messed with the audio and made that trailer infinitely better.

Still stoked about this, even though I won't play it for at least a year :P.

God, makes me wonder why, WHY IS THERE NO FREAKING FANTASY MOVIES ANYMOREEEE!

The Hobbit in theaters December 2012. It's coming.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 25, 2011, 02:46:24 pm »

From what I've read, Skyrim's Creation Engine is a totally new propariety engine, custom-built in-house by them especially for Skyrim.  It isn't Oblivion's engine, even with an overhaul.
This is what I've heard too, there are bound to be similarities, though. I wouldn't be surprised if large chunks of code are almost identical.

The Hobbit in theaters December 2012. It's coming.
I simply can't wait.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 27, 2011, 03:24:33 am »

I'm just praying that it's more like morrowind in the sense that if you decide to walk off in a random direction, you're bound to find something neat. In morrowind there were big daedric shrines, Dwemer ruins, Slave caves, Abandonned buildings full of undead, Shipwrecks, Random people making camps, Kwama mines, Ebony mines...

In Oblivion there were abandoned forts, elven ruins and uh...
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 27, 2011, 03:27:32 am »

You forgot at least 3 versions of cave/mine.  ::)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 27, 2011, 03:32:46 am »

And the wide variety of critters that can possibly inhabit them!

Although there will never be worthwhile loot.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 27, 2011, 03:38:51 am »

This is what struck me about Nehrim: every "random dungeon" there has at least some kind of background story. Simplest example:  You'd find a mine full of goblins, then a locked door behind some traps, and then skeletons of dead miners who had locked themselves in. Just touches like that already makes a dungeon more real, more believeable, as if it has an actual history.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #246 on: October 27, 2011, 07:06:55 am »

As for them claiming it's a new engine, it makes me laugh, it's so obviously an updated version of the fallout/oblivion engine...

(flaming removed)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:40:12 pm by Toady One »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 27, 2011, 11:44:19 am »

As for them claiming it's a new engine, it makes me laugh, it's so obviously an updated version of the fallout/oblivion engine...
(flaming removed)

Keep it easy, we're all friends.

Skeptical, cynical friends, who -given the opportunity- would gladly murder the other for a copy of the game.

Anyway, there is as you know a marriage feature in the game. What might be news is the fact that ANYONE can get married to anyone else. (A 20ish female argonian can get married to a 200ish female dunmer.)

What definitely is news (and good news considering that the system was able to surprise Todd Howard) Is this.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:40:24 pm by Toady One »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 27, 2011, 12:10:42 pm »

It's a brand new engine, dude. If you seriously think this is the Oblivion engine, you need to get your eyes checked.

Thank you for answering in bold, with a huge pic and throwing a taunt in there, definitely proves your point.

And I never said it was the oblivion engine, I said it was an updated version of the fallout/oblivion engine.
You can clearly see the same base, static heightmap with static objects to hide the rough cliffs, low poly objects in the background, grass shaders. Just looking at the gameplay demo you can see it's clearly very oblivion like in the way the world works.
Todd Howards himself says they've reworked each component separately, ie they didn't start from nothing...
Hopefully they finally dropped the nif format for something better but I wouldn't bet on it...

Btw I preordered the game, using a solid engine as a base and updating it is obviously the way to go.
Sorry I insulted your little fanboy heart :).

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2011, 12:33:38 pm »

It's a brand new engine, dude. If you seriously think this is the Oblivion engine, you need to get your eyes checked.
Sorry I insulted your little fanboy heart :).

Friends. We. All. Are.
Or die.

Remember, last thread got to 100+ pages before it got shut down due to trolling, let's at least keep it going that long.

Anyway, I agree with Reiina. The new engine is an update of the old one, much like the Lamborghini we know and love today are updated models of the tractors that the company originally made. It's really just an extension of the Mad Scientist's saying,

Time mutates all vectors.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2011, 12:34:44 pm »

Wait what.

They got rid of the ability to use sticks with sharp bits on the end, and added a marriage system?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2011, 12:42:29 pm »

Wait what.

They got rid of the ability to use sticks with sharp bits on the end, and added a marriage system?

Aye, that do be the gist of it.

Granted there are other cool things, but one did wish that they'd gone with (if anything) with morrowind's system of marriage and spent the saved time on giving nords pointy sticks.

---

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2011, 12:55:37 pm »

well...they most probably thought:
do we add a system of companionship with marriage and general awareness of surrounding people and things, so then modders can make it better, or do we put in pointy sticks which modders can bring in by tinkering with weapons image and making them do animations only for pointy sticks?
i believe that bethesda uses the astonishing base of modders it has in the community to make the game better.
it's like an icecream men who only sells vanilla icecream, but leaves you the choice to add other tastes.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 27, 2011, 01:03:55 pm »

I know, but we probably won't be able to add its own perk tree, which it would have full well deserved.
---

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 27, 2011, 01:11:43 pm »

Or even skill.

I doubt Beth thought about what would be best for the game or about what the modders could do. They just choose the features that they thought would give the game more appeal. Nothing wrong with that.

That said, these marriages are going to be so badly done. Hopefully, it won't be so fucked up as Fable's (which is obviously an "inspiration"), but marrying anyone? Yeah, I'd like to see their writing for that. Well, I'm obviously going to when I play the game, but you get what I'm saying.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 896