Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558677 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #330 on: November 04, 2011, 10:45:18 pm »

Aussie?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 04, 2011, 11:07:08 pm »

Nope, Czech Republic. Apparently Bethsoft got it into their thicks skulls that it would be a good idea to translate the game for us and sell only the translated version. You can't get the English version here at all. Which is really fucking stupid in and of itself, nevermind the fact that the company that does these translations invariably does a really bad job and doesn't bother translating expansion packs or DLCs at all. Not to mention the mods.
Yeah, nice job, Bethsoft. Well, I guess I won't be buying your game at all, then!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #332 on: November 04, 2011, 11:21:06 pm »

What would happen if someone bought a copy and gifted it to you?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 04, 2011, 11:36:36 pm »

Pre-ordered it and now waiting for release.

In the meantime, I play the new Sims 3 expansion: pets.
It is starting to bore me a little tough..
Maybe DF could alleviate this.. Cannot wait for Deon to update genesis..

Any way.. looking forward to this.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 05, 2011, 12:03:39 am »

I'm not sure, actually. I guess it might work. I sure as hell wouldn't shell out what, fifty bucks just to find out, though.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 05, 2011, 12:23:11 am »

I'm not sure, actually. I guess it might work. I sure as hell wouldn't shell out what, fifty bucks just to find out, though.

I've seen conflicting reports in a quick google search. I'll tell you what; if there's clear proof it would work, I'll trade you $60 in TF2 keys for a gift copy of Skyrim.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 05, 2011, 01:15:32 am »

Couldn't you just set your country to somewhere with English?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 05, 2011, 01:35:51 am »

It's more likely that he'd have to visit a country not dominated by a broken "translation" industry.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 05, 2011, 01:43:34 am »

I've seen conflicting reports in a quick google search. I'll tell you what; if there's clear proof it would work, I'll trade you $60 in TF2 keys for a gift copy of Skyrim.

Wait, what? Isn't TF2 free now?
Anyway, I'm thinking no. It doesn't really strike me like they want my purchase, to be perfectly honest. If I have to jump through ridiculous (not to mention risky - no offense to you, but there's no guarantee I'd see my $60 ever again in this kind of transaction) hoops like this just to get them to take my money, and then the product I get in return has intrusive DRM, ie. Steam, then the alternative of getting it for free and not having to have Steam running in the background is starting to look really attractive. Why should I go to such lengths just to be allowed to pay for some inconvenience? Or I'll just go back to Mount&Blade. Oblivion sucked and from what I've seen in the Skyrim videos they haven't done much to fix its problems. I might pick it up in a Steam sale a few years down the line when Bethsoft have had some sense slapped into them by angry gamers.

Can't. You can select which server you want to download from, but that doesn't affect what you're allowed to download and how much you pay for it (because in the minds of Valve, €1 = $1). Steam can tell where you are based on your IP.

And they don't even have the courtesy to at least say "no Skyrim for you, sucker". No, it says "no results" when I search for it, like it isn't even there. Assholes.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:57:06 am by Sordid »

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 05, 2011, 02:07:55 am »

Sordid I'm with you on that.

I remember buying fallout 3 collector edition in a store and discovering there was only the local language dub, no english version inside.
Coincidentally that's when I started buying on steam :p.

Sometimes it feels like bethesda has no idea of the horror behind their localized versions...

Btw don't blame steam. I'm sure they would like to sell it but the local publisher selling the box probably signed a deal with bethesda forbidding digital sales in that country. You can thank him by importing a box from the UK :p.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 05, 2011, 02:26:14 am »

I usually just get all my games from Ebay now. It's probably where I'm going to be getting Skyrim from too.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 05, 2011, 02:30:00 am »

Internet ate my post...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 05, 2011, 02:30:45 am »

@Reiina:
Well no game developer or publisher has an idea of the horror of the localized versions, not just Bethsoft. I remember reading a review of Dragon Age 2 and just by looking at the screenshots, which had the Czech subs, I was able to tell the translation was crap. I kid you not, just from the screenshots. When you can look at something in your own language and you're able to tell what it was originally and how it should've been translated, that means the translation is utter garbage. And this situation repeats every time I read a review that shows Czech subs in the screenshots. They're all shit.

I don't think the industry people care, and I find it really shocking. I mean, a big triple-A title like that has a budget of millions of dollars and they can't spare a few bucks for a decent translation? In this country translators are among the worst paid professions (some excellent career choice there on my part, btw), and they can't be arsed to get a good one.

I'm definitely not buying the localized shitty version, but I don't want an imported box either. It's a hassle and a risk, basically another hoop I'm not really all that eager to jump through. I really wanted a digital copy. Preferably of the gog.com variety (ie. no DRM), but I can keep dreaming about that. Why should I have to order stuff from across the damn continent? That's just not reasonable.

Stupid-ass gaming industry. Yeah, whine some more about how piracy is destroying your profits after you do everything you can to prevent people from actually buying your shit. I feel absolutely no sympathy for the lot of them at this moment.

Internet ate my post...

Om nom nom... :P
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:35:26 am by Sordid »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 05, 2011, 02:34:53 am »

I'd say a box is the most likely to actually run/least amount of bullshit. Of course if you're going to do the whole shipping thing, you might as well wait for prices to go down, used copies to turn up and for your friends to know whether it's good or not.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 05, 2011, 02:36:04 am »

Yeah, that plan has a few holes in it (such as the fact that I don't have any friends).
Anyway, I think I'll stop whining now before you all start hating me.
Like everyone else already does.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 896