Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558681 times)

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #690 on: November 11, 2011, 05:45:01 pm »

I've seen a few of them, they're nicely done.

Spoiler: Large image (click to show/hide)

That one's my favourite so far.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 11, 2011, 05:46:00 pm »

UNLOCK FASTER!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 11, 2011, 05:55:08 pm »

"Skyrim will now detect your hardware and set your video settings accordingly"
"Video settings have been set for ultra high"

That's What I like to hear!

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 11, 2011, 06:10:27 pm »

Okay. I've been playing for a long while, and the game is awesome.  Still a little rough with some things, but I have yet to find a truely broken quest, nor have I gotten stuck between to rocks. High graphics are nice, but I'm going to go tweaking some more and see if I can find the perfect balance for myself.

In the mean time, I need to take a break and think about what I wanna do next.  With only about 1/4 of Skyrim mapped, if that, I may just go exploring for a while, or I may go mine for a bit and work on my smithing.

On another note, I need to find which is most effective in gaining more Destruction skill levels, cause I can either spam low-level fire/frost/electricity, or shoot off a bunch of bigger attacks, and I have no idea which raises the skill faster in the long run.

Also, if you can get ahold of a bunch of lockpicks, just keep breaking them in a lock you know the answer to. Each break gives you a bit of skill, and you can gain a bunch of ranks with lockpicking fairly quickly just by holding the button down to spin it.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 11, 2011, 06:11:40 pm »

I'm really enjoying this game so far. I'm a cat lady who is also a warewulf; I can smash things with my sword and shoot decently. And steal things, I'm going to stay away from magic though.

also whose a pretty puppy http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/650996891993690449/2F30AF43F04D342E6A63D1C826CA5C4FEA66B9C5/

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 11, 2011, 06:32:24 pm »

I'm really enjoying this game so far. I'm a cat lady who is also a warewulf; I can smash things with my sword and shoot decently. And steal things, I'm going to stay away from magic though.

also whose a pretty puppy http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/650996891993690449/2F30AF43F04D342E6A63D1C826CA5C4FEA66B9C5/

Request: How to werewolf in spoiler tags, please! :D
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 11, 2011, 07:30:41 pm »

Request: How to werewolf in spoiler tags, please! :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 11, 2011, 07:37:20 pm »

Just joined the Dark Brotherhood, Nazir is quite the joker. Not quite keen on the armour though.

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 11, 2011, 08:18:48 pm »

Hi, I've tried to avoid any information about Skyrim so sorry if someone's already responded to these sorts of questions because the only post I've read is the last one by SP2, Dark Brotherhood are in the game I guess, wish I didn't know that!

Anyway, I really like the Elder Scrolls but I was disappointed with Oblivion, particularly about the changes in lore. The most important part in RPGs for me is the story and lore and I'm wondering if Skyrim has made massive changes too.
So could someone please respond with their experiences with the role of lore in Skyrim? Are the new books good? The characters? Does it make you feel like you're playing on another planet?
Also, some minor questions-
Can you switch off voice acting? I don't care if it is good, I just generally dislike voice acting in games.
Is the compass and quest marker still present? I really liked scouring around for locations in Morrowind. :)

If someone could reply, particularly about their experience with the lore and general otherworldliness I'd be grateful, thank you!

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 11, 2011, 08:22:50 pm »

I'm not too sure I like the interface all that much... seems... off, somehow.

I'm also likely to lay off of buying it for a month while they patch everything (also, I want to run it at decent settings and need to wait for my new video card to arrive... as well as get the money to buy the game itself.)
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: November 11, 2011, 08:33:46 pm »

The menu interface is crap (feels very consolized) but the graphics aren't held back by consolization. I'm sure that there will be interface patches out soon to fix it, just like for Oblivion.

This feels like SUPER polished Oblivion, with much better graphics. This is the first time in a while I've found myself actually reading the little bits of lore and notes I find during my travels. It's also one of the first time I'm actually getting SIDETRACKED all the time because the side quests are actually... well... interesting!

Good game so far. I'm level 15 (specializing in Sneak/Bows/Lockpicking/1H/Light Armor mostly) and enjoying it greatly.

Running on an i5 750 w/ GTX 460 SLI and 8GB of RAM, it's running at all high settings very smoothly. No stuttering.

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 11, 2011, 08:59:16 pm »

This game is AWESOME!!! I was just walking around some town and everyone started screaming, I looked up and there was a dragon flying overhead. The battle was brutal with the dragon swooping in and attacking the guards, sometimes landing on buildings to breath fire, we eventually took it down but many guards were killed.

Also people react to what you do, if you wear no clothes they say stuff and if you use a shout they react in different ways.

On shouts:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Currently hiding from a gold dragon, if i try to fight him he actually eats me, I'm scared! I guess he is a way higher level than I am.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 11, 2011, 09:01:53 pm »

@Pakhawaj: My apologies, I assumed people knew The Dark Brotherhood would be in, given that it was very enjoyable in Oblivion. :S

@KatalDT: Coincidentally my character is the exact same, from skills to level. May I ask what race you are?

I just took on a dragon by myself and came close to dying about 3 times, I like how you actually seem to get stronger as you level.

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 11, 2011, 09:04:03 pm »

@Pakhawaj:
The lore seems a lot better than in Oblivion, a least it feels like you're in another world not in a fantasy cliche like in Oblivion.
The compass and markers are still present(there is also a spell doing a line fable style) but you can desactivate it and contrary to oblivion, you can actually ask people how to get to the goal with a real itinerary(for example, follow the road west until you reach the watch tower and then go north).
The combat feels quite good too, in fact I think they may have nailed it this time(didn't think that would ever happen). They also added a bit of interaction with the environement in dungeons with oil you can set on fire, more traps etc.
As for the voice acting it's fine, some people sound a bit weird but most of it is good(much better than oblivion once again).
The quest writing is still not at the level of a bioware game but it's still the best they've done.
There are plenty of details and it really feels like it's a polished game this time, I would even say a work of love :p.

Frankly the only "real" issue(if we ignore the pathfinding which is a bit buggy) is the interface. I'm getting used to it but frankly...urgh.

I think it may be the best bethesda game so far, not 100% sure, need more hours, err days, I mean months on it to be sure :p.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 896