Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550186 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #825 on: November 12, 2011, 06:46:16 pm »

So there's really a guy named Heimskr in this game?

I've been considering getting this when it hopefully goes on sale next month. Now I kinda want to get it earlier, just to see what that guy is like.

In case you're wondering why, I'll just tell you that Icelandic is very similar to Old Norse, but one notable change is how many words that ended in -r in Old Norse end in -ur in Icelandic. And I'm sure you know how to use Google Translate.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 12, 2011, 06:52:41 pm »

This is the first Bethesda game I've actually come anywhere close to enjoying out of the box.  It really is splendid and they show great development in giving the world character and flavor.  Some things are still a little stiff, but they're on the right track at least.  I had written them off as creative and competent developers after the terrible Oblivion and mediocre Fallout 3.

As an aside, does anyone know what the various blessings from shrines actually do, or where the effect is listed?  I cannot for the life of me find it.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 12, 2011, 07:02:20 pm »

It arrived today and is sitting on my bookcase taunting me. Why must my computer be broken?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 12, 2011, 07:14:54 pm »

Ok, so after 4 or so hours and a dungeon....

1. Most stable game by Bethesda EVAR.

2. Best looking game by Bethesda, probably.

3. Gameplay mechanics all around are a disappointment, imo. The world may be filled out and interesting, but in terms of mechanics its borderline RPG lite. I don't care how many spells there are, or shouts, or how fancy the skill trees look. The talents are BORING and basically add nothing novel to the game. In some cases, the talents allow you get BACK to the level of depth Oblivion had. And considering we're talking vanilla Oblivion, that ain't much. The top of the Enchanting Tree lets me make an item with two traits? Ohgeewhythankyoubestdevelopersever. Considering how fucking cool the skill page looks, you'd think they could have put the effort into the skills themselves.

4. Game is frustratingly unoptimized for keyboard and mouse. Spent the first 30 minutes trying to figure out why "R" wouldn't drop something, only to realize its because the game doesn't recognize commands mapped to the mouse when in menus. I.e. I had no drop key when sheath was assigned to my mouse. The favorites thing ALMOST works as a compromise, except it only can be closed by tab/q....on the opposite side of the keyboard from where the arrow keys are. And yet, does the lockpicking mini-game remap to the arrow keys? NO! Unintuitive doesn't even come close to describing it.

5. Their rationale on some stuff is just stupid. So, with a 1-handed weapon, you can only block if a) it's in your right hand and b) your left hand is open. If you have the weapon in your left hand and your right is open, your right hand is a punch. ONE more button and we could have had blocks all around and even blocking with dual-wielding. Instead we have this goofy system that implies you get to play it exactly how you want, when in fact, it's quite specific on what you can do.

6. I'm getting the sinking impression the game is not only easier than Oblivion, it may be shorter. I mean, consider the # of armors, the fact they can only all have one enchant for the vast majority of play time, and "improving" them literally just bumps damage or armor rating. While there may be plenty of quests to do, the stuff under-pinning it seems....trivial, at least to a hardcore gamer.

7. Serious time and effort went into making dungeon areas visually stimulating and varied, a big plus over FO3 and Oblivion.

Don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying myself, when I let go of caring about any of it. Game looks marvelous and I haven't even fought dragons. Just been tooling around in my own fashion as normal in Beth games. But I kind of worry that maybe this game isn't going to benefit from modding as much as past Beth games, because everything in it seems so......rigid. From the menu systems to the way items are categorized and everything....I dunno. This almost doesn't feel like an Elder Scrolls game to me. It feels like some weird realistic God of War set in an open world. Everything about it screams "self-contained RPG hack 'n slash", except the world and the lore. And I have to laugh at the absurd amounts of testosterone this game is putting out. I'm sneaking along in the dead of night stalking this thing, and then out of the blue I hear "DUH.....DUDUDUH!" as my sneak skill goes up then I gain a level. Like there's this horde of Norse berzerkers following you around just waiting for you to succeed so they can chant like MEN! The theme is almost a parody, they lay it on that thick.

Anyways, other than some of the frustration and more than a few moments of genuine sadness at how simple some of it comes across, I'm generally blown away by how it looks and how well it runs. Combat *could* be exciting at the adept level, but the fast regenerating health, the oodles of no-limits potions, the crap load of mana you have that lets you just torch anything that pisses you off.......kind of sucks the intensity out of it. Then again, when you're going to die, you seem to die really, really fast. So maybe they wanted you living on the edge of spamming potions.

There's a lot of cool stuff going on in the game (that I obviously haven't gotten to yet), I just can't shake the feeling it came at the cost of quite a bit. I'm hoping all the dynamic questing and stuff makes up for it. But I have the feeling I'm going to be OP and the character-building aspect of it is going to top out even faster than Oblivion.

And now for some eye candy of my own:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:36:28 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: November 12, 2011, 07:23:46 pm »

That was ... Interesting.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: November 12, 2011, 07:46:16 pm »

Putting money in da bank and getting it Monday.

daaamn.
Shoes...

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: November 12, 2011, 08:33:19 pm »

Things I did today in Skyrim:

Found a stray dog fighting a pack of wolves, saved his butt and now he is following me around.

Upgraded my smithing skills with a perk that allowed me to make some steel plate armour, further improved the armour so its now better than dwarven stuff (and better looking).

Helped the stormcloaks win the rebellion (note I've done barely any of the main dragon quest), and replaced a number of old thanes with new ones.

Watched in awe as 2 blood dragons attacked Morthal, ran away like a girl when they tried to eat me.

Learned a number of awesome new shouts, some useful for combat, and some for stealth.

Shouted a bandit off a cliff  :D.

Had a awesome duel with a draugr lord, where we exchanged blows, spells and shouts!

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: November 12, 2011, 08:44:37 pm »

YEH GAM IZ AWESUM!!!1111!!!one!
Why they say I can't spend the rest of the month playing this, i don't know.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: November 12, 2011, 08:57:55 pm »

What? I've been pleasantly surprised by most of the game so far except for consistently crashing in one dungeon area and...

Oh... right.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: November 12, 2011, 09:00:51 pm »

Ironically I got two crahses within 20 minutes of each other after posting that.

Some things never change. Like war. I hear that never changes either.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: November 12, 2011, 09:01:46 pm »

Some things never change. Like war. I hear that never changes either.

Quote from: Metal Gear Solid 4
WAR HAS CHANGED

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: November 12, 2011, 09:05:30 pm »

War never changes because War doesn't wear clothes to begin with.  If we could convince War to invest in a couple of jackets and maybe some trousers then we might be able to get War to change but as it is War only want to run around naked showing the world all of its unpleasant bits.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #837 on: November 12, 2011, 09:18:51 pm »

haha, you still think bethesda games are RPGs...that's cute.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: November 12, 2011, 09:38:25 pm »

To me saying something is an RPG is a lot like saying a game is an FPS.  MW3, Doom 2 and Stalker are all FPS games but they are still very different to each other.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: November 12, 2011, 09:41:19 pm »

I generally disagree with cuts to slowmo executions in games, but
There are some times where it is GREAT.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 896