Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1559298 times)

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #1020 on: November 14, 2011, 12:20:21 pm »

Do you no longer need black soul gems to capture humanoid souls? I accidentally hit a Felmer with my Soul bow instead of my normal one and now I have his soul.
There seems to be a lot more soul gems in Skyrim than there were in Morrowind and Oblivion combined.. I have a few dozen of them just from raiding a Dwemer fort, including five filled Grand gems.

edit: also, I posted this in the same second as you Domenique :P. Was kinda weird to see my post not being the latest one.

You need black soul gems to capture people's souls, I just don't think Felmer count towards that since they fill normal soul gems too.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 14, 2011, 12:24:15 pm »

It makes alchemy a discovery experience.

I can't remember anymore, wasn't that how Oblivion was, or was it all discovered already? The discovery process DOES keep it fresh. It's just trapped within Bethesda's very tired system. And because there aren't visible stats anymore, there are somewhat fewer potions. (Although maybe they're replaced by a few new ones, like Fortify Blacksmithing.)

I dunno. The system works and its clean. But compared to Witcher's alchemy, Bethesda's alchemy has always felt tacked on. If they'd be willing to break out of their freaking rigid design and let alchemy (and magic) do something novel like they used to, the system could be so much better.

Honestly the only reason I bother with alchemy in Beth games is because of poison. Especially now since it's actually fair to use it when you're going up against Giants who can crush you flat in one shot. Using it in Oblivion was kind of overkill.

It is also totally free now and has a skill tree associated with it.

Except you're stuck creating boring, one effect items for almost the entire game and it's completely based on what gear you find. Whereas you could buy spell books in Oblivion at or around your own level to get a plethora of effects, here you're stuck with the handful of stuff you decide to disenchant. I much preferred Oblivion, and I hate the fact items are one effect deals. You could do more in Oblivion and I don't get their rationale here at all. Unless they didn't want player created items stealing the thunder of the stuff they gave you. Which would be easy to do, because the items I've been getting in Skyrim are booooooooorrrrrriiiiinnnngggg. Tons of Soul Trap weapons, a few of the (three!) elemental weapons, some armor with fortify this or that. I'm still using the Frost Sword and Fear dagger I created _at level 5_, because I simply haven't found anything more interesting to use and there's physically no way to create anything better!

Compared to the Boots of Jumping, there isn't anything in Skyrim half as cool or inventive. And you can't even make anything good without disenchanting/enchanting crap items all the way to 100 skill.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:26:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 14, 2011, 12:25:44 pm »

I havn't gone further in the main quest than the first dragon killing. And I so far have like, 20 hours of gameplay logged :D

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: November 14, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »

8 hours in and I notice how I still havent ventured out of the Southeast  starting corner of the map. Damn that feels depressing almost XD

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1024 on: November 14, 2011, 12:34:43 pm »

please. it's three days i'm playing. after "unlocking" dragons i've been doing everything else.
everything.
EVERYTHING.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: November 14, 2011, 12:39:24 pm »

I have to say, the largest improvement to alchemy for me was making food a completly seperate thing. Also, that food heals is wonderful, but I wish it healed MORE, as I can find myself devouring 20 meals worth of food to heal in combat, which is a bit odd... Maybe make food more like a regen effect?

8 hours in and I notice how I still havent ventured out of the Southeast  starting corner of the map. Damn that feels depressing almost XD

I didn't notice at first, but you start in the centre south, scrolllll your map wayyyy left there, a little further, there, theres the edge.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: November 14, 2011, 12:45:54 pm »

It is also totally free now and has a skill tree associated with it.

-snip-

Well, the only effect I use on my weapons is the steal life one and I got that at level 4. I wish there were more enchanting tables though, as the only ones I have found so far were in dungeons.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1027 on: November 14, 2011, 01:15:01 pm »

Also, that food heals is wonderful, but I wish it healed MORE, as I can find myself devouring 20 meals worth of food to heal in combat, which is a bit odd... Maybe make food more like a regen effect?
Hell with the potions I make now from wheat and a few other ingredients I don't even need food. Cooking is a serious pain in the ass considering you can easily make potions that heal 50+ once you get to a good skill level. (Also I found a ring that adds +15% effect to potions I create which helps some)

Its to the point where I have crafting gear sets. I have some bracers and a helm which increase my smithing, I have a ring and amulet which increases alchemy/potion effects. Nothing for cooking yet.

I was hoping there would be stuff for making you mine more material or something but nothing yet. I kinda enjoy finding and mining minerals to make more awesome stuff. Though right now I have like 15 grand and I could buy any materials I need. In fact Iron is so cheap I can buy all the iron ore and ingots and then craft them into armor/weapons to sell for a profit.

Speaking of buying, I have an amulet for +10% better prices, a ring for +12% and a mask for +20%. Do these effects stack?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: November 14, 2011, 01:18:12 pm »

It makes alchemy a discovery experience.

I can't remember anymore, wasn't that how Oblivion was, or was it all discovered already?

Every 25 levels in alchemy unlocked another of the 4 ingredient effects.

Which I always found funny, because that turned some combinations that were harmless into deadly poisons.
*Hugs*

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 14, 2011, 01:19:59 pm »

The more I read about it, the more impatient I am waiting for it to arrive by mail.
Sometimes I really dislike living in Greenland..

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: November 14, 2011, 01:21:03 pm »

And you couldn't use effects you didn't know

Oh, for maximus stackamus, there is a potion that gives oratory skill a bonus and (but I'm not sure about this one) at least one effect that direcy increase price bonus

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 14, 2011, 01:24:11 pm »

I've had some problems buying it over steam while abroad in Africa (steam blocked my card because I was in a country I wasn't supposed to), but now I am a happy owner.

Though the game suffer a serious case of consolitis, it is awesome, and is better than Oblivion in almost every way.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1032 on: November 14, 2011, 01:28:11 pm »

Yeah even once you're used to it, the interface is a ball of shit. It gets in my way more often than it helps me out. I can't wait for a modder to do a proper interface.

Otherwise the game seriously impresses me. It is rare that I sit for this long at a time and play one game, but this one is amazing.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1033 on: November 14, 2011, 01:29:49 pm »

I've got a week-long vacation coming up, and it's going to snow.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 14, 2011, 02:26:26 pm »

My only regret so far (besides the UI, hurry up bethsoft and release the mod kit so people can fix your mental illnesses plz) is that tonight Saints Row 3 unlocks and it's unlikely I'll get to explore more of the snowy wastes for a while.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 896