Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558399 times)

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #1290 on: November 15, 2011, 11:30:23 pm »

I am somewhat regretting creating this character.. But i do not want to do all the intro sequence over again..
And escaping Helglen (or whatever that fort name is..) is also tedious in the long run.. *sigh*

If you're on pc, Showracemenu 1, in the console will let you remake your characters appearance. Just be careful to save before you press confirm and then load that save. In oblivion it would reset your skills and stats.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: November 15, 2011, 11:33:38 pm »

Welp, alchemy and blacksmithing are broken.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: November 15, 2011, 11:35:19 pm »

I leveled sneak.

many enemies can two-shot me.

but that's okay because I can hide in the shadows and snipe at them till they die.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: November 15, 2011, 11:37:02 pm »

Broken, by the looks of things, in almost exactly the same way as alchemy in Morrowind was broken (and in Oblivion to a lesser extent). Nothing's changed, then.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: November 15, 2011, 11:41:07 pm »

Broken, by the looks of things, in almost exactly the same way as alchemy in Morrowind was broken (and in Oblivion to a lesser extent). Nothing's changed, then.
Keep in mind that the whole point of the elder scrolls is metagame. Vivec's teachings and everything.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: November 16, 2011, 12:35:26 am »

Broken, and posted about 10 pages ago. :P

I think it actually says good things about the game's meta balance, because without those enchanting and smithing buffs, a lot of equipment doesn't come anywhere close to living up to its full potential.

Put another way. The damage difference between my Elven Sword (Fine) and Elven Dagger (Exquisite) is 6 points. If you chose not to invest in any blacksmithing or enchanting, I imagine the game is way, way, way harder. It's also possibly balanced to the "Master" level of difficulty.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: November 16, 2011, 01:26:32 am »

Well, I bought the damn game. I normally don't do things like this, but I had a gift card...

I've got a mace-wielding, vigilante* orc build going on right now. I hope it's something workable.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: November 16, 2011, 01:43:51 am »

Time to play some more- I reckon I'll play my main guy, the once-Imperial swordsman turned cynical rebel sympathiser for a while, and then make a new character. Either a... Stealthy knife-wielding khajit or a dreadlocked caveman who gets stealth kills with a giant mace. Decisions, decisions...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: November 16, 2011, 01:53:18 am »

I'm using this thread to give a loving shout to my faithful pony, Bill.

He was the very first horse I ever saw in Skyrim,  just standing there at that farm,  looking half-starved and bored out of his mind.
I grinned and hopped on him,  galloping into the shadows of the night far away from that depressing little hovel as I took my first step into the world of thievery.

In my experience, stolen horses tend to go back home after you dismount.
Bill, however, stubbornly refused.
He stood there,  staring at me.
"Get!"   I shouted.
He snorted and stamped,  looking at the city doors and back to me,  as if saying  "C'mon, get on with it!  I want to get back on the road!"

I shrugged, departing into the city for a good day or two as I looked around and explored.
I stepped out of the gates.
Bill was still standing there,  his tail giving one irritated flick as he again snorted. 

I don't own him.  I have no home,  nor do I ever keep him in any stables.
I have no food for him,  nor any coin left to treat him properly..  yet he still sticks with me.

He's trotted me from one end of Skyrim to the other,  in his own slow, yet purposeful pace.

Hes my only friend in the entire land.
My pony.
My Bill.
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: November 16, 2011, 02:03:21 am »

And later on you need every ounce of that stamina to get you through fights with the real badasses like Draugir Deathlords.
I did a fight against one at level 3ish the one at the end of the Dragon Claw Dungeon thing... Barely took a hit...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: November 16, 2011, 02:17:41 am »

I'm using this thread to give a loving shout to my faithful pony, Bill.

He was the very first horse I ever saw in Skyrim,  just standing there at that farm,  looking half-starved and bored out of his mind.
I grinned and hopped on him,  galloping into the shadows of the night far away from that depressing little hovel as I took my first step into the world of thievery.

In my experience, stolen horses tend to go back home after you dismount.
Bill, however, stubbornly refused.
He stood there,  staring at me.
"Get!"   I shouted.
He snorted and stamped,  looking at the city doors and back to me,  as if saying  "C'mon, get on with it!  I want to get back on the road!"

I shrugged, departing into the city for a good day or two as I looked around and explored.
I stepped out of the gates.
Bill was still standing there,  his tail giving one irritated flick as he again snorted. 

I don't own him.  I have no home,  nor do I ever keep him in any stables.
I have no food for him,  nor any coin left to treat him properly..  yet he still sticks with me.

He's trotted me from one end of Skyrim to the other,  in his own slow, yet purposeful pace.

Hes my only friend in the entire land.
My pony.
My Bill.

Good old Bill. Loyal to the end, that pony is.

(Tolkien fans will know what I'm talking about.)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: November 16, 2011, 02:20:53 am »

I did a fight against one at level 3ish the one at the end of the Dragon Claw Dungeon thing... Barely took a hit...

That's an Overlord, not a Deathlord. It's also set up specifically to use the level 1 Force shout, which has virtually no effect on the player and just gives you more time to kill it. And it doesn't have any spells. I haven't yet gotten far enough to see if they become common or not, but Deathlords are pretty nasty.

irbis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: November 16, 2011, 02:23:29 am »

And later on you need every ounce of that stamina to get you through fights with the real badasses like Draugir Deathlords.
that wasnt him. it as Restless Draugir.
i think

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: November 16, 2011, 02:32:34 am »

Enemies scale with you. A rat at level 3 will be relatively the same threat to you as when you are level 9632.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: November 16, 2011, 03:14:21 am »

I'm loving this game!  :D  My character is a scout, concentrating on archery, stealth, 1-handed weapons, and light armor.

Story time!

So there I was, walking through the woods when I spotted a dragon roasting a guard tower. I immediately dashed into the fray and began shooting at it when suddenly a second dragon appeared! My predicament was dire, as they had caught me out in the open, enabling them to fly around and take turns strafing me from above. I decided to take refuge in the tower, only to discover upon entering it that it was inhabited by bandits!

I fought my way to the top of the tower, besting one particularly strong orc bandit, and resumed my archery assault on the dragons. By the time I reached the top of the tower, however, they had found new prey on a nearby hill and were out of range of my arrows. I dashed down the stairs and gave chase!

I caught up to the foul beasts and regained their attention. This time they deigned fight me on the ground and after a vicious exchange of blows,
the first dragon was slain! As it relinquished its soul to me, its comrade sought to avenge it, breathing icy doom-breath upon me. I countered with arrows and after a tense shoot-out, I vanquished the second dragon!

I then turned off the console, acknowledging that that adventure would be the most exciting thing I would likely experience during that play session.  :P

-----------------------------------

One of the things I've always enjoyed about the elder scrolls series is that the player generally has various options about how to go about an adventure and has to make decisions that affect not only a particular quest, but can affect how one's entire adventure plays out.

I remember during my first Morrowind adventure the thieves' guild tasked me with recovering an item from some guy in a bar... not a problem--I just went in there, killed the guy, took the item, and ran for it... then one thing led to another and I became kill-on-sight with a huge bounty and spent the rest of my grand adventure on that character running around stealing and fencing things to try to pay off my bounty to the thieves guild bar tender guy.

My adventure ended in Vivec when I managed to get myself trapped in a bank vault with many guards outside, all of whom were more powerful than my character, blocking the vault door so I couldn't get out! (Not expecting such a predicament at the time, I had saved inside the vault... my only save... It was on that day I learned to always have a second, safe, save point to go back to in case I get myself stuck!)

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 896