Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558928 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #1500 on: November 17, 2011, 03:56:20 pm »

Whoever said the Dunmer racial isn't good hasn't been in deep enough shit yet. Seriously, free fire damage to anything that tries to melee you? Considering some fights where I'm outnumbered 5:1 and Lydia is already on the floor, I think it may be more useful than half of the other race's perks. For a complete hybrid, it's not a bad power to have.

You're whining about a single mistake with an apostrophe? Really? Am I missing something?

It is one of the most common spelling mistakes out there........
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 04:03:00 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1501 on: November 17, 2011, 04:01:01 pm »

I guess if the worst thing we have to complain about is a common spelling mistake, we're doing ok.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: November 17, 2011, 04:04:47 pm »

Whenever I'm writing, I ALWAYS have to re-do my "it's", as I keep forgetting that "it's" is not possessive.  Its very rare I remember to do it before hand.. and I'm not a horrible writer. 
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: November 17, 2011, 04:08:36 pm »

Ditto. I went through 5 years of writing and journalism in college and still never internalized that rule.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: November 17, 2011, 04:11:43 pm »

Whenever I'm writing, I ALWAYS have to re-do my "it's", as I keep forgetting that "it's" is not possessive.  Its very rare I remember to do it before hand.. and I'm not a horrible writer.
You can easily fix that by being too lazy to use '. Causes the exact opposite problem though.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1505 on: November 17, 2011, 04:16:49 pm »

It's a silly rule.

/swish

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #1506 on: November 17, 2011, 04:20:58 pm »

I've never had a problem with apostrophes, oddly. My hitch is whenever the letter "c" is involved anywhere in the word and pronounced with an 's' sound. I've written 'excercise' wrong so many times it's almost a habit, and 'recieving' bugs the heck out of me. If it weren't for spell checker, I'd look like a dummy.

Well, more of a dummy. Where spellchecker saves me, though, it makes it easy to think "it's" and "its" are correct, regardless of usage.

Back to Skyrim, I'm running into the problem of having too much weight and not enough merchants to buy my stuff. It seems unnecessary to give merchants so little cash, especially the ones that buy the stuff I want to sell. I could invest in the persuasion tree, but there's about 5 other trees I need to work on without worrying about one I'll only use occasionally. Potions, weapons, armor, enchantments... You use those even less, but you use their products a whole lot more, making them useful.

Any useful places to make some good cash? (Or merchants that have more cash on hand?)
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1507 on: November 17, 2011, 04:23:28 pm »

Thieve's guild fence has ~1250 or so gold for me. Personally I just make the rounds between each city and hit up a bunch of merchants, which is annoying but necessary. In reality I often get annoyed and just stuff it all in a chest in my house. I probably have 20k gold in assets in that chest, and another 15k in the chest at my second house. Not to mention the value of cool weapons that I have displayed rather than sold.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:20:42 pm by forsaken1111 »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: November 17, 2011, 04:50:48 pm »

At this point I'm sitting on 12k gold, have another 5k to 6k gold in gems sitting on my dinner table, 10k+ worth of potions, and easily 10k+ worth of dragon materials, ore, bars and what not.

I've pretty much quit picking up anything that weighs more than 1, or sells for less than 250. The only thing I could possibly spend my money on now is the handful of enchants I don't know and housing.

Any useful places to make some good cash?

It's weird. I can't really point to any one quick money-maker. It's just...being thorough. Doing 1 quest with a combat area, the reward and the loot ends up being about 500-1000. In an hour of just going through the motions I make more money than I know what to do with. This is after I did the thief routine religiously when visiting a new area, and I didn't find a fence until I was level 12 or so.

My rule of thumb in TES games goes like this. Starting out, anything worth more than 10 gold is getting picked up. Early-mid, I bump that up to 25. Then 50. Then 100. Then 200. Doing that I never run out of things to sell. I only started hitting the merchant gold cap when my average item price selling price was 75 to 100.

But yeah. I have like 60 gems sitting on my table right now. I don't think I sold a single one since starting the game. That's how little I've felt I needed money.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 04:55:36 pm by nenjin »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: November 17, 2011, 04:54:23 pm »

Interesting. Over the course of the day yesterday I found an elven bow and an elven bow of dread. I upgraded both to epic level.

Elven bow: value 399. Elven bow of dread: value 384. Both do 37 damage. I would have assumed the magic bow would be worth more.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: November 17, 2011, 05:00:23 pm »

Interesting. Over the course of the day yesterday I found an elven bow and an elven bow of dread. I upgraded both to epic level.

Elven bow: value 399. Elven bow of dread: value 384. Both do 37 damage. I would have assumed the magic bow would be worth more.

Is it charged?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: November 17, 2011, 05:01:26 pm »

Is it charged?

Yes, fully.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: November 17, 2011, 05:05:36 pm »

It's down to the actual value of the enchant on the weapon. +25% to a skill is worth a few hundred. Fear and courage specifically, I think, are worth the least. The value scales to the power of the actual enchant.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #1513 on: November 17, 2011, 05:17:44 pm »

Giving 2 different effects to an item wasnt possible in Oblivion if i recall correctly (and probably not in Morrowind either i think).
(Seemed odd no one snagged this...) In Morrowind, I know you can enchant an item with at least five different effects, but I think seven is the actual maximum, as I know you can make a spell with at least that many. Of course, if you want stronger effects, you usually don't have room for more than two or three, because individual strong ones tend to be more cost-efficient that many weak ones. My Dress of Rage is a good example; could hold 20strength and 20speed for 30 seconds, or (43|47) strength or speed for 30 seconds.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: November 17, 2011, 05:23:49 pm »

Yeah, it was a great system. Could max out one or two enchants, or put several enchants on an item but dilute their effects. They closed up enchanting in Oblivion by limiting that number and taking away some of the enchantments items could hold (like items casting spell effects.) Now, they've limited the # even further and made the kinds of enchants items can hold even more explicit.

I'm sure it made their debugging easier, but basically Skyrim's enchanting and (and forging to a lesser extent) isn't any more interesting than making your own stuff in Fable 1. It gives you reasons to go out and collect stuff....but the joy in thinking about it or in creation isn't actually there. It doesn't feel like you can create anything novel.

If I had to pick one mod that would give me the most bang for my buck in Skyrim, it'd be an Enchanting Enhanced Mod.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:28:58 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 896