Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550111 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #1695 on: November 18, 2011, 05:32:01 pm »

I've only had 2-4 crashes, but all of them was on pressing R to loot a container.

I agree wholeheartedly. My venting-rant on this questline from another forum:
Spoiler: Ranting ahead (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Where there one? I haven't gone very long into the questline yet and if there won't be one I want to reload an earlier save before I do too much other stuff.
Love, scriver~

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: November 18, 2011, 05:44:03 pm »

But really, there's no real drawbacks and it's totally awesome for clearing out bandit camps, I'm not sure why someone wouldn't want it aside from roleplaying reasons

And yeah, the companion's questline is weak.  It feels rushed.
Shoes...

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1697 on: November 18, 2011, 05:49:04 pm »

You get the option to cure yourself. Actually it's kinda annoying,

Actually I just dislike how Skyrim and Oblivion handle guilds in general. They don't need this grand quest-line that's basically an excuse to kill the grandmaster as quickly as possible so you can replace them just because they had a really good feeling about you. The way Daggerfall and Morrowind did it, where you simply join the organisation and work for it, demonstrating and improving your skills and raising in rank, was much more satisfying for me. They can work some kind of "overarching quest line" into this but it shouldn't take the fore-front until waaay into the guild, popping up occasionally before that. In short, you never feel to me like you really prove yourself, it feels too "I won because this enemy was levelled" not "I won because I AM THE GRAND MASTER LORD OF FIGHTING AND SHALL BE YOUR RULER MY COMPANIONS!"

A level 5 fighter whose only ever used two spells in his entire life should not be able to become leader of the College of Wizards!

Hell, they put a daggerfall-style random quest system into Skyrim, you'd think that'd be perfect if they combined it with the more unique quests and a guild reputation system for advancement...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:56:23 pm by MorleyDev »

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: November 18, 2011, 05:50:30 pm »

I had found a Butterfly in a jar a long time ago.  I had put it in my house, thinking it some easter egg nod to Legend ot zelda.

I just now also found a moth in a jar.  There any purpose to these things or are they just for decoration?

There's also a bee in a jar in one of the thief guild quests :P

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: November 18, 2011, 06:11:55 pm »

And yeah, the companion's questline is weak.  It feels rushed.

The mage questline is weak. The Companions questline is weak. The bard questline (such that it is) is weak. I haven't touched the Civil War yet, but I'm betting both sides are also weak.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: November 18, 2011, 06:12:20 pm »

Sidgis Gauldurson - How the hell do I kill this guy? :X Its a random barrow den-like area I found, and the boss is a biatch.

Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: November 18, 2011, 06:13:41 pm »

Sidgis Gauldurson - How the hell do I kill this guy? :X Its a random barrow den-like area I found, and the boss is a biatch.

Hint: watch the colors.

Yeah, I totally ignored the "dying in two hits" bit. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:15:15 pm by Mephisto »

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: November 18, 2011, 06:14:07 pm »

ALL of the guild quest chains feel rushed. Everything is progressing at a nice pace, and then boom, you get a quest to kill X and then become the master of everything. Even though the guild has only known you for what, a week? Less?

Before Skyrim was released wasn't there something about the devs having to meet a deadline, and having to rush some things? Maybe they had a bigger plan for the guild chains but had to weld a quick ending onto all of them to meet the gimmicky 11/11/11 release. I would have totally been fine with them taking another YEAR to develop, test, and polish the game. Oh well. I'm really looking forward to DLC content and mods.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1703 on: November 18, 2011, 06:15:17 pm »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: November 18, 2011, 06:15:30 pm »

Ahh kk. 

Also found out something that makes it easy.. but its kind of a roguish tactic / exploit:

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: November 18, 2011, 06:19:45 pm »

You get the option to cure yourself. Actually it's kinda annoying,

Actually I just dislike how Skyrim and Oblivion handle guilds in general. They don't need this grand quest-line that's basically an excuse to kill the grandmaster as quickly as possible so you can replace them just because they had a really good feeling about you. The way Daggerfall and Morrowind did it, where you simply join the organisation and work for it, demonstrating and improving your skills and raising in rank, was much more satisfying for me. They can work some kind of "overarching quest line" into this but it shouldn't take the fore-front until waaay into the guild, popping up occasionally before that. In short, you never feel to me like you really prove yourself, it feels too "I won because this enemy was levelled" not "I won because I AM THE GRAND MASTER LORD OF FIGHTING AND SHALL BE YOUR RULER MY COMPANIONS!"

A level 5 fighter whose only ever used two spells in his entire life should not be able to become leader of the College of Wizards!

Hell, they put a daggerfall-style random quest system into Skyrim, you'd think that'd be perfect if they combined it with the more unique quests and a guild reputation system for advancement...

All of this. So true.
Love, scriver~

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: November 18, 2011, 06:20:52 pm »

I just played the first 30 minutes of this.

All other games before and after are now a disappointment.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: November 18, 2011, 06:36:24 pm »

In the middle of talking to the Riften Guards to get into the city, when we're interrupted by a dragon.. who flew around for a few seconds then buggered off.  I wanted to kill another dragon :( Its too foggy, so I didnt' see which way it went.

Love the random dragon encounters though, its a great feature, even if most of the quests in the game are lackluster.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: November 18, 2011, 07:01:18 pm »

Ahh kk. 

Also found out something that makes it easy.. but its kind of a roguish tactic / exploit:

Ah yea i remember this guy, i did that too, or it was too hard.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: November 18, 2011, 07:11:20 pm »

I just played the first 30 minutes of this.

All other games before and after are now a disappointment.

Wait till the Bugs, crashes and crappy quests kill you down.

Really, the only "Generated" quests I've enjoyed so far are the thief runs, and that's because there's not much you can improve or not improve on them.. sneak in, grab, leave.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 896