Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550235 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #1710 on: November 18, 2011, 07:18:08 pm »

Damn, Whiterun takes petty theft seriously. I accidentally stole a plate while trying to sit down. That's a 1 gold fine. So the guards begin streaming in, trying to cut me down. Apparently guards are only willing to speak to you if you have weapons out. They wouldn't stop attacking until I brought out my swords and then put them away.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: November 18, 2011, 07:23:44 pm »

I just played the first 30 minutes of this.

All other games before and after are now a disappointment.

Wait till the Bugs, crashes and crappy quests kill you down.

Really, the only "Generated" quests I've enjoyed so far are the thief runs, and that's because there's not much you can improve or not improve on them.. sneak in, grab, leave.

Even then - I keep having a nagging feeling that I want to play the Theif series again each time I do a sneaky mission in Skyrim.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: November 18, 2011, 07:42:15 pm »

I think the Thieves Guild quest line is actually pretty decent. There's a whole lot more to it than just the guild, or at least there's a lot related to the questline and it's had me to go pretty much every corner of Skyrim. The main thrust of the questline is kind of a cliche, but meh, most RPG storylines are in some way. I think when it comes to quests, Beth has gotten a little too obsessed with plot delivery, so all the beginning quests to get you situated are kind of shunted to the side quickly to get you into the story.

I remember when I first encountered the Companions, my thoughts were: "They just killed what? Yeah, fuck that, it's clearly not the "go kill skeever rats to prove you're a fighter" fighter's guild." I was surprised they threw something like that in your face so quickly.

It sucks the Mage's Guild questline is lame. It should be the easiest quest series to make cool.

And re: Generated Quests. Once again, Bethesda took something good and under-delivered on it. These quests could not be more basic and ultimately forgettable. It's like, congrats Bethesda, you learned how to script a fetch quest on the fly. It's the Radiant AI pitch, all over again.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:45:39 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: November 18, 2011, 07:43:39 pm »

Just went on a killing spree in whiterun.  More NPCs were non-essential that I thought, but the few that were still kinda killed the fun of it.

Still killing one guy in particular felt goooooood.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: November 18, 2011, 07:46:14 pm »

Epic pic is epic.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: November 18, 2011, 07:48:33 pm »

That must've been extremely satisfying. Oddly, NPCs seem almost eager to piss off the Thane/Dragonborn/Badass Hero. No respect I tell ya, no respect.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: November 18, 2011, 07:52:38 pm »

Apparently shooting a chicken is punishable by death in a village.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: November 18, 2011, 07:53:42 pm »

Just went on a killing spree in whiterun.  More NPCs were non-essential that I thought, but the few that were still kinda killed the fun of it.

Too epic! That guy had it coming!

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: November 18, 2011, 07:57:47 pm »

Markarth is an interesting city... blood and silver indeed! The first time I stepped foot in the city, I marveled at how beautiful the city was with its unique architecture and pristine flowing water, certainly this city would be worth saving from dragons' fire! Now that I've done many quests in and around the city, I know better and wish to purge it for justice!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1719 on: November 18, 2011, 08:19:34 pm »

He actually is a god, since you meet his aspects in a few of the games (He gives you a "Lucky Coin" in Morrowind, and is hinted to be The Prophet in Oblivion Knights of the Nine). Talos became a divine by "walking like a god" in the backstory. It's one of the recurring themes of The Elder Scrolls: "Walk like them until they walk like you". It doesn't matter if you are a truly chosen by destiny, a god, a hero: If you act as one, you shall be remember as one and hence always have been one.

Of course in TES it's more metaphysical, basically being a hardcoded aspect of the design of the universe of the games, where if you walk the path of a god you actually do become one. Basically Talos managed to become a root user for the world  xD
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:23:13 pm by MorleyDev »

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: November 18, 2011, 08:36:24 pm »

Gar I have 7 of the dragon cult mask, I've been looking for ages and cant find the 8th :(. Some of their enchancements are pretty damn good though.

Also how does one actually join the Dark Brotherhood? It's been 2 days since I butchered the entire town of Rorikstead but no letter yet?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:41:52 pm by Kivish Zokun »

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: November 18, 2011, 08:45:08 pm »

Also how does one actually join the Dark Brotherhood? It's been 2 days since I butchered the entire town of Rorikstead but no letter yet?

Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: November 18, 2011, 08:47:37 pm »

Markarth is an interesting city... blood and silver indeed! The first time I stepped foot in the city, I marveled at how beautiful the city was with its unique architecture and pristine flowing water, certainly this city would be worth saving from dragons' fire! Now that I've done many quests in and around the city, I know better and wish to purge it for justice!

I've done one quest in that city. As a result,

Side note: Horses are worthlessly slow. I stole a horse on my way out and attempted to ride away at high speed... Instead it trotted away at medium speed and occasionally sped up to "I could give you maybe 120% for about 5 seconds." I got away, but probably could've gone faster by running normally and using whirlwind shout repeatedly.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: November 18, 2011, 08:55:06 pm »

Spoiler: Direct entry to the DB (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Wow, slow internet for me today. Oh well.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: November 18, 2011, 09:03:57 pm »

I've done one quest in that city. As a result,

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 896