Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558243 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2025 on: November 21, 2011, 08:22:29 am »

well, if somebody could merge deadly reflexes WITH a realistic health system:
fights would get bloodiers, messier, and brutally short.
when a barbarian swings his warhammer at you, you shouldn't block, you should dodge away, cuz it's going to break all the bones in your arms.
yes, that too!
somebody quick, write down my ideas!
realistic combat mod:
low static health for determinate types.
a big badass orc can probably stand two scrawny daggers once, but a children or an npc merchant women should get oneshotted, back or front.
(maybe have them do some yield animation thing, with a pool of blood forming at their feets when they die from "murder")
high damage things, different armour provides different protection depending on how it's made:
the hide/fur armour with the belly revealed is clearly not armour effective, but it might help in SWIMMING!
on the other hand a tough banded armour might help in making blades and pointy things not kill you, as per arrows, unless to the head, that's one shot.
maces and warhammers gets more vamped, since they work on internal damage, making armour kind of ineffective, but not completely.
insert a broken limb system like in fallout 3, you break a leg? you slowly walk, you break a hand? you don't use it.
and you don't heal it with magic potion, but with the "regeneration potion" (which is made rarer)
or by spending the nights with "casts" or "sticks to keep fracture still" and the process goes in a MONTH term. you want it hard and realistic!? don't expect a wound to be cleaned in a night if it's a bone breaker.
it would make the need for shelter not bad, and to stash onto things like bandages, sticks, and having a horse ready too, since you must be able to reach your house to rest.
and so on.
mmm.
what else? oh yes, magic!
since health is low, magic should be effective, brutal but really really high mana consuming. mages are frail guys who need wards and such to protect themselves, but if taken by surprise they easily die. they are humans after all.
alone they can't do much, especially if they are targetted first.
and yeah, somebody to add in more magicks.
then i'd go also for a mounted combat of sorts.
who wants mounted combat?!
you got a horse, time to use it!
then enchanting, smithing, alchemy:
to balance them just make ingredients sparser and with a bigger time of respawn.
and a limit on smithing and enchanting per day.
like a drain on fatigue for smithing and a drain on magicka for enchanting.
the drain is removed only after 8 hours of sleep.

anything else? obviously there is still a need for a bad ass modder.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: November 21, 2011, 08:23:05 am »

Mount and Blade, or other games where death is one poorly placed block away

I got to say, combat seems much more deadly (for the player at least. Mooks it seems about the same for) then it was in Mount and Blade.

Do you mean with or without blocking? Because unless I wear a suit of full plate I tend to go down in Mount&Blade very easily (assuming I stand there and take it). There's also an element of being worn down that TES doesn't touch on.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: November 21, 2011, 08:24:10 am »

Mount and Blade, or other games where death is one poorly placed block away

I got to say, combat seems much more deadly (for the player at least. Mooks it seems about the same for) then it was in Mount and Blade.

And I prefer a system where the player has more input than raw numbers into an outcome.  A Skyrim style melee system is more or less about trading blows.  Maximizing the utility of blocking and shield bashes is a factor, as well as the rare occasion of sidestepping a blow, but they're of minimal consequence.  You're still basically taking turns hitting each other in a raw numerical contest of dps + hp (with your hp limited only by the number of potions you bother to carry for time-stop panic guzzling), but with fancy animations to help you feel like there's more going on.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: November 21, 2011, 08:33:11 am »

And I prefer a system where the player has more input than raw numbers into an outcome. 

if you are quick enough and have enough stamina shield bashing can get you a long way into changing the outcome from a raw hp/dps contest.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: November 21, 2011, 08:37:17 am »

The biggest problem I have with the combat system has nothing to do with the mechanics; it's how the game thinks I need to hold the mouse button down for a quarter- to half-second before it decides to do anything. If there's any one element of the game that makes me want to plug in a pad (far moreso than the interface), it's that, just so I can get proper input detection and be able to look and move at the same time.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: November 21, 2011, 08:40:43 am »

Yeah, I'm putting most of my points into stamina, and abuse shield bashing a lot when I'm forced into melee.  It feels like cheating, the same as guzzling potions.  They have no means by which to negate the effect of the shield bash, so it's just a different form of raw number input.  You're just forcing them to forfeit turns.

I'm just going to stick with the bow on my first playthrough, and probably not play the game again until someone does something about it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: November 21, 2011, 08:46:23 am »

Dagger x15 damage one shoted everything for me so far - failed to backstab a dragon, they start flying even when the eye-stealth indicator is still closed.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: November 21, 2011, 09:27:58 am »

My first character was a light armor and heavy armor dual axe wielding nord. The only thing that made any sense was the dual axes and the nord. I wanted to try stealth and archery. The combat system for this character now primarily consists of me being able to clear out entire areas without anyone knowing what happened. The stealth and investigation system is much improved, if not for the AI seeming a bit thick about it's "investigate what happened here" procedure, and their goldfish memory. I regularly stealth, shoot arrows at walls and wait for a baddie to come by and investigate so I can plug him in the back.

So archery seems like an entertaining way of playing, if anyone has tried doing that exclusively.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: November 21, 2011, 09:32:51 am »

I've noticed that my pet hate with the Quest system, is that there's no choices.

1. Speak to X.
2. Go to X.
3. Kill X.
4. Return to X.

Job done, here's your reward.

Alternative possibility:

1. Speak to X.
2. Go to X
2b. Go to this other place.
3. Kill X.
3b. Let X go.

So forth.

I've only come across one quest that offers even a little freedom...
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: November 21, 2011, 09:34:41 am »

I'm doing the standard assassin class (archery+stealth+alchemy) but I got a ton of leather at discount and I've upped smithing to 40.

now the steel dagger does the same damage of the vanilla dwemer sword, but gets a x15 damage multiplier and the game is basically ruined  :P

I still get killed instantly when I get discovered which it makes ton of sense, after all.

irbis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: November 21, 2011, 09:49:06 am »

it comes to the number of double Thunderbolts they take before going down.
why double Thunderbolt and not dual casting?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: November 21, 2011, 09:55:49 am »

Magic is underpowered in this game, for better or for worse. A master destruction spell user using Incinerate will kill cave bears after casting that spell 4 - 6 times at level 30, while a master of one-handed weaponry using a masterfully self enchanted weapon with two offensive effects will utterly decimate enemies with a charge attack.

The should have kept spellmaking in, really.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: November 21, 2011, 10:01:18 am »

Yeah, the loss of spellcrafting is possibly the biggest disappointment for me, as that was pretty much the only thing that kept me playing Oblivion past the end of the main quest on my first playthrough.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: November 21, 2011, 10:09:37 am »

Magic is underpowered in this game, for better or for worse.

Your argument provides more a point towards melee being overpowered. A point could be made that when both classes utilize all their available tools one is better than the other and through that one can justify more tools for magic, like spell making, but I have already gone into the rubber band snap that is this game.

While not as "complex" or "deep", and not as strong as the offensive Juggernaut that is melee characters, it is a whole hell of a lot smoother and less clunky than it has ever been in the series. And where modders have had no real luck in Oblivion in making the system less clunky and weird, I get the feeling that effects could be added relatively smoothly. Why they are not in the vanilla game is just a question of fitting that in with the rest of the crazy new stuff they had to make work.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: November 21, 2011, 10:10:13 am »

it comes to the number of double Thunderbolts they take before going down.
why double Thunderbolt and not dual casting?

By double Thunderbolt, I meant dual casting.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 896