Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558673 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2040 on: November 21, 2011, 10:19:03 am »

As for the backpedaling from guards: I've not experimented with any slow/frost spells or anything else to slow the enemy down, but without that, nope, backpedaling certainly doesn't work! The guard (or whatever else) will charge fowards and hit you rather painfully if you aren't blocking.
If you want to run away, you'll have to actually turn tail and sprint, not shooting arrows at them like in Oblivion.
I only have experience playing unarmored/light armored but...

Its only running straight backwards that is slowed. If you zigzag backwards you'll move at strafe speed and still manage to keep your crosshair pretty centered. Most melee enemies seem to power attack while they're charging you which gives you the opportunity to run up, power attack them, stagger them, and start zigzagging away again.

For reference, I routinely stab bears to death with a 100 health spellsword on master. I've yet to successfully get out of range of an enemies flamethrower by zigzagging though. That seems to require using the environment to block line of sight.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: November 21, 2011, 10:22:48 am »

Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: November 21, 2011, 10:23:04 am »

Actually I will pose an question to New Guy:

Are you utilizing all the tools available to you, such as staves, enchantments for better equipment and the other schools of magic aside from destruction? To only utilize destruction seems akin to a warrior only using a combat skill with no enchantments or equipment upgrading. I'm sure The dynamic is different when the best possible mage is pitted against the best possible warrior.

Granted people will take that last sentence to a literal breakdown of the stats to reveal the absurd nature of equipment upgrades and enchantments, so this will be a vague question at how one forms comparisons.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2043 on: November 21, 2011, 10:25:21 am »

Someone got too attached to his dear companion.

meh he could have used the tilde and then the RESURRECT option clicking on her.
but yes, the first time is painful.
i went all "nudgeing her" thinking she'd awake, but i had dealt the fatal blow to her: never again use fireballs.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: November 21, 2011, 10:29:24 am »

I guess how many mages actually use a weakness to x poison before attacking and such. things could stack pretty fast that way too.

if you minmax warriors by enchanting and alchemy, the same should go with mages for a fair comparison.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: November 21, 2011, 10:34:04 am »

Actually I will pose an question to New Guy:

Are you utilizing all the tools available to you, such as staves, enchantments for better equipment and the other schools of magic aside from destruction? To only utilize destruction seems akin to a warrior only using a combat skill with no enchantments or equipment upgrading. I'm sure The dynamic is different when the best possible mage is pitted against the best possible warrior.

Granted people will take that last sentence to a literal breakdown of the stats to reveal the absurd nature of equipment upgrades and enchantments, so this will be a vague question at how one forms comparisons.

Yep. I make a ton of magicka regen equips, use conjure dremora lord along with that double summon perk to cushion up damage in real combat, use shouts, ebonyflesh spell, etc.

In short, I buff myself up to the best of my abilities, but then again, I was just testing sheer damage output and see how fast I can kill an enemy with the least amount of attacks.

So far, magic is at the lowest of the chain, bows in the middle ground, swords/onehanded enchanted weaponry at the top. The incredibly powerful enchanted dagger mixed with sneak and some other damage enhancement perks is out of the question though, being the best in sheer damage output if you weren't seen.

Admittedly though, I haven't spent my time crafting incredibly powerful alchemy equipment to enhance enchanting further, since I can't afford all that grand soul gems I'd need to make the best equipment, nor do I have the time to invest on that.

Speaking of Alchemy, I haven't delved into that greatly, since most potions tend to clutter my inventory, and it's a bit annoying to find the potion in an already cluttered favorites menu.

My final verdict is that if you invest in heavy armor, get daedric equipment and use two highly enchanted weaponry, your game becomes a no-brainer, which isn't really all that good if you consider some things.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:37:26 am by New Guy »

irbis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: November 21, 2011, 10:36:50 am »

it comes to the number of double Thunderbolts they take before going down.
why double Thunderbolt and not dual casting?

By double Thunderbolt, I meant dual casting.
oh. no picking, was just curious about what people actualy uses.
think of it, one dualcasted spell eats alot of mana but does more the twice the damage. then again the spell casting ratio is very slow. if you have two spells charged in both hands you can fire spells much faster and control your mana usage more accurate. i am trying to figure out whats cooler/better but i suck at spell casting lol. maybe some other people will help me do the testing

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: November 21, 2011, 10:40:16 am »

So I finally bought the house in riften.

It's a nice house.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2048 on: November 21, 2011, 10:41:09 am »

dual casting multiplies by 2.2 while casting two spell together (not dualcastin the perk) is simply 2X damage.
it's either a 0.2 difference or an unstoppable casting hellstorm if you time it right:
right, left, right, left, right, left.
some modded in the multiplier 3.0 which would quite be better, still, until someone mods in the paralysis spells and the friggin hellstorms i'm not keen on grabbing mods for the basic magic thing.
the stamina mod however intrigues me. 1 choice for stamina and it's only a +5 of carrying? really? a +10/+15 is better off. Or at least add carrying capacity if you also raise health.
then again, someone remind me, what does increasing every one of those three things do, except giving you 10 more health, 10 more magicka or 5 more carrying capacity and 10 more stamina?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: November 21, 2011, 10:43:54 am »

So I finally bought the house in riften.

It's a nice house.

I WANNA LIVE IN SOLITUDE!

But Jarl no helpie...

me is sad. :(

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: November 21, 2011, 10:44:51 am »

Well, in riften, at least, I did a bunch of missions for townsfolk before they'd let me buy it.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2051 on: November 21, 2011, 10:48:55 am »

One of my friends who doesn't have skyrim posted this to our forums:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He's not too happy about no one wanting to play lol with him. :D
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: November 21, 2011, 10:53:53 am »

Paralysis was always a weird ability. Even at just a second the ability to instantly interrupt whatever your opponent was doing and turn them to a ragdoll is immensely powerful, and it's a heavily binary state. Either your resistance makes it not work at all or you are on the ground. It's a cool skill to use and annoying to face(Oh fuck that one bandit cave in Solstheim containing five guys with glass daggers of paralysis), but it's up-front bash your teeth in functionality isn't diverse beyond fucking with things.

It's a problem to work with, like many other abilities that were dropped. Real discussion needs to be had on how to implement them without including the complex clunky mass of previous games. The intent should be on having the skill fill a specific use, with some situations not being ideal for it and keeping the rules for it simple. "A strategy isn't complete when there isn't more to add, but when there isn't anything left to take away" is a good model for what we should strive for.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

irbis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: November 21, 2011, 10:59:52 am »

Well, in riften, at least, I did a bunch of missions for townsfolk before they'd let me buy it.

if i might ask - which quests you exactly finished?
i am trying to get that house too but runned out of quests for Riften and i still can buy it =(

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: November 21, 2011, 11:00:31 am »

So I Vol Toom'd some Thrallmar guards walking the road without talking to them. I just go and show them my amulet of Talos and sing a little song about how Talos is awesome and that elves can go and cry in their little corner of the magma depot about it every time anyway so why not cut out the middle man?  I made sure they didn't have a prisoner and nuked their asses.

Well now every single wandering npc wants to kill me on sight.  Even the farmers walking the roads to go join the Stormcloaks. What the hell game?  And because I did not expect a problem from that, and it was some time after that I noticed it, my oldest save is also after that point.  Well fuck.  I would use the console to correct my standing with whatever all inclusive wanderer faction I just pissed off, but without the construction set I have no way of seeing which it is.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:02:35 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 896