Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550216 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2100 on: November 21, 2011, 01:57:23 pm »

Well most of those are standard "make pc go faster" tweaks. Heck, there's a nice free program called "Game Booster" will do a lot of that for you and undo it when you want to as well :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:06:50 pm by MorleyDev »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2101 on: November 21, 2011, 02:01:26 pm »

Well most of those are standard "make pc go faster" tweaks. Heck, there's a nice free program called "Game Booster" will do a lot of that for you and undo it when you want to as well :D

yeah i stopped for a while thinking "why should i make skyrim go better...when i can make my pc go better?" still, i think if somebody has actually ameliorations with the inis, and add in the pc amelioration, he should be fine, likewise, if somebody doesn't want to tinker with the ini files, it's better than nothing.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2102 on: November 21, 2011, 02:07:19 pm »

On an unrelated note, it turns out spamming dual-cast "Ice Storm" can be a little over-powered at times, like "kills everything in the room" OP. Still rather proud of that time I chucked a bunch of Frenzy spells around, causing a massive melee in the centre of the room that I pelted with Ice Storm and killed everything in one fell swoop, but still...

Then again, my idea for magic users is that they should be a bit like Batman: With enough prep time, a magic user is nigh unstoppable. If caught unprepared, whilst still dangerous, they are in a lot of trouble.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:09:45 pm by MorleyDev »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: November 21, 2011, 02:08:44 pm »

I love how people actually pay attention to what you wear.

like that armor, where people will react rather negatively to you.
And yet nobody reacts to you walking by in a full suit of daedric or glass armor looking like some mythical figure from an ancient legend. Its almost like they see people all the time wearing these things.

I donno, I walked by whiterun guards all the time that said "Ebony armor, by Ysmir what a sight."  And that shit makes you look like some hero out of legend too.  (Especially when you put the daedric helmet on top of it) 

I love the ebony armor.  I havent seen Dragonplate yet, but all the daedric armor besides the helmet just looks like it's trying too hard.  Daedric is all "Hey everybody look at me! Don't I look cool?"  And Ebody is all like, "...'Sup."
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:19:23 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2104 on: November 21, 2011, 02:09:15 pm »

Hm. maybe it just hasn't decided to do so for me then

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: November 21, 2011, 02:19:43 pm »

"Ebony armor, by Ysmir what a sight."
"Is your armor made out of...  dragon scales?  By the gods, what I wouldn't give for a set of THAT."
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: November 21, 2011, 02:40:44 pm »

So I love how you can beat a guard half to death, and then have him just wander off and tell you to be more careful, just because you're Thane.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:47:01 pm by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: November 21, 2011, 02:42:26 pm »

So I think I know one thing that would make melee combat way more tactical.

If stamina actually meant something.

All it does is down-grade power attacks to normal attacks. Which says a lot about what combat is ultimately about. Consider if stamina did the following instead:

-When your stamina is totally depleted, you take more damage.

-When your stamina is totally depleted, you move 15% slower.

-When your stamina is totally depleted, blocking is less effective.

-When your stamina is totally depleted, your magicka regen is reduced by 75%.

-When your stamina is totally depleted, you are 10% more likely to suffer an executing blow when hit.

-When your stamina is LOW, there is a chance successful blows will stumble you.

In addition to power attacks becoming normal attacks. You hit this point in game where stamina kind of stops meaning anything against 5/6th of the enemies. Dual-click...dual-click...move....dual-click...dual-click....victory! Even in the beginning of the game, I found that trying to play to conserve stamina actually LOST fights because they are just pure DPS races. I've also spent close to a minute and a half in combat dodging to regain stamina....and there's absolutely no value in it. In the time it takes to regen 30% of your stamina, a flurry of zero stamina attacks would have finished the fight.

Making combat about dealing damage while staying high enough in stamina not to be completely vulnerable I think would be a good thing. It would make 1v1 fights waaaayyy more interesting, and would make large melees incredibly dangerous. It'd also really place a penalty on dual-wielders, keeping in tone with their pure offensive style. Likewise, heavy armor fighters who play slowly and meticulously would actually have a sort of rock/paper/scissors response to light armor types, by just letting their enemies tire themselves out then cleaning house. Mages would get the benefit of melees actually getting tired while chasing them.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:48:22 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: November 21, 2011, 02:45:17 pm »

Or just have low stamina directly translate to low movement and attack speed and leave off the rest for simplicity.

Also carrying more than a certain weight uses stamina just to walk.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2109 on: November 21, 2011, 02:47:28 pm »

Personally I'd increase stamina and magicka 10x or so and cut the regen by 10x or more, or remove regen altogether. Sleeping for at least 6 hours will restore both to full.

I'd also make dual-cast spells significantly more costly and do significantly more damage, a 'nova' option to be used when you really must kill some shit, but less damage/mana efficient than casting normally.

Would have to play with the numbers to work it out.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:51:43 pm by forsaken1111 »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: November 21, 2011, 02:51:15 pm »

Or just have low stamina directly translate to low movement and attack speed and leave off the rest for simplicity.

Doesn't really address the bottomless stats, regen and everything else. I recall there was a mod like this for Oblivion and it worked out pretty well, particularly the stumbling part of it. The idea is that all the extra stuff makes you vulnerable to lower level baddies, so even they can still threaten a guy in Ebony who runs around fighting to the verge of exhaustion. Simply making the player slower doesn't really add in the threat of death....it's just slowing them down.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: November 21, 2011, 03:55:34 pm »

Hey, let's play hide and see---
Yo, imma let You finish, but an Elder Dragon attacks Whiterun!

Let me give you a tour of the Winterhold Academ--
Yo, Elder Dragon attacks Winterhold.

Oh, tee hee, my top fell off--
Elder Dragon.

The Elder Scrolls V : Elder Dragon Interrupts.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2112 on: November 21, 2011, 03:58:53 pm »

Doesn't really address the bottomless stats, regen and everything else. I recall there was a mod like this for Oblivion and it worked out pretty well, particularly the stumbling part of it. The idea is that all the extra stuff makes you vulnerable to lower level baddies, so even they can still threaten a guy in Ebony who runs around fighting to the verge of exhaustion. Simply making the player slower doesn't really add in the threat of death....it's just slowing them down.
It would certainly threaten my archer who wins many fights (if he's discovered) by backing away just out of reach while shooting you in the same eye over and over.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: November 21, 2011, 04:11:08 pm »

So I love how you can beat a guard half to death, and then have him just wander off and tell you to be more careful, just because you're Thane.

I actually murdered a guy in front of guard and got away by telling him I'm a Thane.

EDIT: I also like how people you do crimes against send 'Hired thugs' after you. For example the family member of the guy I killed (above) sent hired thugs after me.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:14:17 pm by anzki4 »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: November 21, 2011, 04:22:30 pm »

I actually murdered a guy in front of guard and got away by telling him I'm a Thane.

EDIT: I also like how people you do crimes against send 'Hired thugs' after you. For example the family member of the guy I killed (above) sent hired thugs after me.
A Whiterun Guard sent hired thugs after me after getting annoyed at me training pickpocketing on him. Oh, and be careful; I think the "I'm a thane!" line is one use only. Certainly didn't get me out of subsequent trouble for pickpocketing. :P

On another note, the lvl 100 destruction spell 'lightning storm' is AMAZING. I vaporized a dragon with it in about 8 seconds. :D
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 896