Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558885 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2115 on: November 21, 2011, 04:26:06 pm »

strangely, i understood why i didn't have people against me:
once you do all the DB quests and become whoohooo
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
you no longer receive them. at least, it happened for me.
before that? usual thug encounter for material from forge stealing.
it's your fault you leave them out in the open! NOT MINE!
or they might be preparing a mega attack.
mmm.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

irbis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: November 21, 2011, 04:28:20 pm »

now i am confused. so are the high level spells good or not? =\

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2117 on: November 21, 2011, 04:29:58 pm »

now i am confused. so are the high level spells good or not? =\
This is the problem with reading stuff on a forum... it's all second hand opinions. Try it yourself. I had no problem being a pure mage personally, but a lot of people here say its hard or impossible.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: November 21, 2011, 04:45:39 pm »

It's the difference between bumped up constant beam attacks that your mana can actually sustain, the low level spells.....versus aimed spells that gouge your mana and usually require you to charge to release, the higher level spells. When the higher level ones hit, they can pancake stuff and knock it over. When you miss, you're automatically on the defensive. And for those that like companions, it sort of breaks the 4th wall when you basically consign your companion to the same AOE spam you use to beat enemies. And since you're the only one with the power to kill your companion for the most part....yeah.

It's *mostly* to taste. Some might like the fact spells have to be aimed and have rail gun-like accuracy requirements, because that kind of balances their power. Others might feel that magic should be a little more reliable than that, and they end up slumming it with the lowest level, most friendly to use spells bumped up through perks and gear.

I think the only real statements you can stand by is that spells have scaling problems and they're finite. You don't get a huge selection in what they do or how they work, versus melee. So you're literally stuck with all Tier 2 Elemental Damage spells being that obnoxious "charge before shooting" crap....even though it seems like enemy spell casters can just chain that shit back to back. Ironically, magic seems far more powerful in the hands of enemy NPCs than in the hands of the player. If they dual-casted for knock back more often, they'd be insanely nasty.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:48:03 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: November 21, 2011, 04:46:58 pm »

All-mage is not impossible. Hell, depending on yar tactic it can be as easy as the sneaky-stabby char who one hits everything. Mage just takes TIME to win encounters.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: November 21, 2011, 04:55:06 pm »

Ok, this is annoying.  There's no way at all to back out of the thieves guild questline.  All the NPCs down there in the ratway are invincible...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: November 21, 2011, 04:57:29 pm »

I've found one disadvantage of running out of stamina on my archer is that I can no longer zoom in and slow down time (archery perks), so it is something I have to pay attention to.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: November 21, 2011, 04:59:06 pm »

I've found one disadvantage of running out of stamina on my archer is that I can no longer zoom in and slow down time (archery perks), so it is something I have to pay attention to.

I've remedied that by putting 2/3 of level ups into stamina. Not recommended if you're not sneaking while sleeping, as everyone and their mom can one shot you.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: November 21, 2011, 05:00:37 pm »

On another note, the lvl 100 destruction spell 'lightning storm' is AMAZING. I vaporized a dragon with it in about 8 seconds. :D

If you're on Expert+ or a high level I find that hard to believe. I could see 12-15 though.

The only positive I have to say about Lightning Storm (over Thunderbolt) is that is looks amazing. Function-wise, I'd stick with Thunderbolt. Maybe it's just a matter of perspective but dual-casting Thunderbolt feels more powerful, especially if you're facing hordes of enemies (such as in the civil war line) where you can compare insta-gib to watching health bars deplete. I've also found the charge up time on it makes Lightning Storm unwieldy except when a) fighting dragons or b) catching the enemy by surprise.

Number-wise you've got 2x60 (or was it 2.2?) base for dual Thunderbolts and 75 per second base on Lightning Storm. I suppose that Thunderbolt gets a slight delay between damage bursts but even then it is dealing at least 60% more damage. Combined with mobility, visibility, and quickness of use, I can't see why one would use the inferior Master spell besides looks (something I'm guilty of).

Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: November 21, 2011, 05:03:17 pm »

Ok, this is annoying.  There's no way at all to back out of the thieves guild questline.  All the NPCs down there in the ratway are invincible...

I know, it's the most freaking retarded thing in the game. So I go down there to wipe out these criminal scum, and 'oh noes they're invincible'. So I try starting the stupid quests for them, to see if that fixes it. (Since the player would by then know they're the Thieve's Guild) No luck. Well, shit. >:(
I do have a bit of a plan though... Time to seriously mess up the next quest.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: November 21, 2011, 05:07:34 pm »

I'm sure that as soon as the modding tools are released, someone's going to make a mod to make all NPCs killable. As I recall, the only thing making an NPC invincible in Oblivion was a check mark marking the NPC as essential (in the construction set, that is).

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: November 21, 2011, 05:09:16 pm »

If you know the base id (or was it the ref. id?), then you can make them un-essential by console commands.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: November 21, 2011, 05:12:32 pm »

You can ask for the base ID with the help "name" command.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2128 on: November 21, 2011, 05:14:00 pm »

...versus aimed spells that gouge your mana
Doesn't really gouge your mana if you've gone pure mage. I can double-fisted lightning bolt and chain lightning all day really, and the higher level spells make my mana bar move a leeetle bit. And this is without utterly breaking the enchantment system.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: November 21, 2011, 05:17:19 pm »

With the right enchanting on "Master" stuff and the correct stone and blessing, you can hardly run out of mana for longer than 0,05 s.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 896