Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558896 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2130 on: November 21, 2011, 05:23:33 pm »

At this point, enchanting is your best friend, alchemy sucks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: November 21, 2011, 05:25:25 pm »

Why? It's by far the easiest thing when you need to level in a hurry. Mages might not need it but for just about anyone else it has a lot of benefits. It's also part and parcel of better enchanting and blacksmithing too.

With the right enchanting on "Master" stuff and the correct stone and blessing, you can hardly run out of mana for longer than 0,05 s.

For just about everyone else it seems prohibitively expensive. Then again, I haven't felt the need to spend on mana since I got Fast Heal.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: November 21, 2011, 05:27:41 pm »

The time i spent with searching for ingredients for alchemy is ridiculous, hell i can roll into a dungeon and get more materials for blacksmithing and enchanting than potions.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: November 21, 2011, 05:28:43 pm »

With the right enchanting on "Master" stuff and the correct stone and blessing, you can hardly run out of mana for longer than 0,05 s never run out of never use mana.

Fixed. I'm only using 27% Fortify Destruction enchantments and my mana costs are 0. Not 0.1 or 0.0001, 0. Mages go from difficult drawn out fights at the lower levels to spam-bolts once they obtain decent enchanting levels. If anything I think reducing spell costs breaks the game more than increased damage would have. 27% is easily attainable using only a single Fortify Enchant potion without exploiting the system, or maybe 26% using store bought potions.

Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: November 21, 2011, 05:28:51 pm »

I usually end up with hundreds of ingredients just by going for a stroll.
*Hugs*

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: November 21, 2011, 05:30:54 pm »

I usually end up with hundreds of ingredients just by going for a stroll.

And then when clearing inventory wonder where that 150 stones of weight are coming from.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: November 21, 2011, 05:32:11 pm »

Same. In one cave I picked up something like 15 of each mushroom type, give or take one. I do alchemy in spurts, after I've dumped a lot of ingredients into my satchel 4 or 5 times. I'd do more but I don't want the level ups.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: November 21, 2011, 05:39:32 pm »

\
Expensive.

Transmutation spell. Star of Azura and chain enchanting crappy items = gold limited only by the amount them vendors have
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: November 21, 2011, 05:42:41 pm »

There's a certain chaurus lair dungeon I found in which I collected over 150 eggs. And there were at least another 100 left I hadn't harvested. And yeah, as a lvl 45 pure mage, it certainly is far from impossible. It's pretty difficult up until you do the main mage college quest and get the awesome loot that provides, but after that you have enough mana and regen to pretty much murder anything with ease. My mana regens fast enough to keep things stunlocked with dual firebolts even if I'm sitting on fully depleted mana. So long as you keep things from running up and insta-squishing you, you'll be just fine.

A warning to those who may think about messing with the timescale in Skyrim: setting it to negative values is a bad idea. It pretty much perma-borks the game's calendar, giving you a really weird date, even after changing it back to normal time progression. My current ingame date is the -57th of a month; I've seen as low as -100 and as high as 100.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 05:49:07 pm by alway »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: November 21, 2011, 05:49:01 pm »

\
Expensive.

Transmutation spell. Star of Azura and chain enchanting crappy items = gold limited only by the amount them vendors have

Expensive in terms of investing perk points, level up points, and your best gems to get to the mana regen/spell cost deduction on items that makes spells worth a damn. Not to mention all the other things you're sacrificing in lieu of making magic a little better for a hybrid. Pretty much seems like all or nothing to be an effective spell caster, unless you're planning to play all the way to level 80. At which point, everything is meaningless. Although I guess if 27% Destruction buff is all you need to take the Tier 2 spells to zero cost, there's room for.

Cash I think is the least of anyone's problems.

The system seems ok for that single use hybrid whose like "Imma paladin!" and bumps the crap out of their Restoration so heals cost nothing. But not for someone who is like "I'm a melee, but I want to be able to use destruction, illusion and alterations spells." Skyrim rewards specialization. I think real hybrids might suffer the worst out of anyone.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 05:53:15 pm by nenjin »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: November 21, 2011, 05:54:13 pm »

I'm running a pretty decent spellsword with hardly any destruction perks.
The whole point of the build is to use magic as a powerful opener then clean up with melee.
*Hugs*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: November 21, 2011, 05:56:25 pm »

Without the points in destruction damage, I gave up on using spell openers. Completely unmessed with archery and a sneak bonus does the same thing with less noise.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: November 21, 2011, 06:01:23 pm »

Yeah, but wandering around looking like I've crapped my man diaper and getting destroyed if I get spotted isn't really my playstyle :P
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2143 on: November 21, 2011, 06:02:38 pm »

Yeah, but wandering around looking like I've crapped my man diaper and getting destroyed if I get spotted isn't really my playstyle :P

1. Sneak to door
2. Lay down fire rune
3. Shoot man with bow
4. Back away
5. LOL MAN BLOW UP

Extended:

6. Raise man as zombie
7. Cast Frenzy on man's friend
8. LOL THEY FIGHTING THE WHOLE ROOM

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: November 21, 2011, 06:04:36 pm »

1. Shoot Arrow.
2. Use Sanguine Rose.
3. Watch Companion enter the fray.
4. Go make a sandwich. :P
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 896