Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550037 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2400 on: November 23, 2011, 01:49:26 am »

And here I am trying to figure out how to take down Maven Black-Briar and the Thieves' guild without having to join them, and preferably without killing them since that probably won't work.

I was able to report a skooma dealing operation... Of course, then I was sent by the Jarl herself to EX-TER-MIN-ATE the operators of said operation, because she can't trust her own guards. Oh well. It's not like anyone else in the game ever surrenders either. ("I YIELD! I YIELD! DON'T KILL ME! PSYCH! I WAS JUST WAITING FOR YOU TO PUT AWAY YOUR WEAPON SO I COULD BACKSTAB YOU IN THE SPLEEN!")
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: November 23, 2011, 02:02:52 am »

And here I am trying to figure out how to take down Maven Black-Briar and the Thieves' guild without having to join them, and preferably without killing them since that probably won't work.

Don't bother. The best you can do is:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: November 23, 2011, 02:23:32 am »

Don't bother. The best you can do is:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think she might be important to future DLC, because she was involved in the main quest.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: November 23, 2011, 02:36:44 am »

Really? I thought I was near the end of the main quest, and she hasn't been involved at all. (I keep going and doing other things because every mission for everyone sends you across the map, so it takes a long time to finish anything since I'm doing everything (well, not everything) slowly.)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:38:24 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: November 23, 2011, 02:55:28 am »

I wasn't able to steal the ring for Brynjolf's first job.  It was right there in front of everybody and I was fresh off the boat and wasn't playing a stealth race (I picked Dunmer, because why not?).  In fact, I couldn't even get through the ratway, I had to polish my skills doing "freelance" work until my guy was good enough to reach them.

The problem with the guilds in Morrowind was there were so many quests, and a lot of them were so mundane.  I don't remember ever fully completing any of the faction quest lines in Morrowind.  I vaguely remember the Camonna Tong thing in Morrowind's fighters guild quest, but not really.  They all felt like they were going to go on forever and ever, and it was just a slog, especially since my style of playing back when I first got Morrowind (Play a few hours, get an idea for a cool new character, play a few hours on him, get a different idea, etc.) basically ruined the beginning of the game for me.  Like I said in an earlier post, the first ten hours or so of Morrowind were tread so flat it was almost more than I could bear to drag myself through them.

Also, I noticed Skyrim still hasn't figured out how to make rain respect overhangs.  In Morrowind and Oblivion seeing it rain when I was under cover bugged me.  Now it's kind of endearing, a quirk of the series that will never go away.  Tamriel is a magical land where dragons are real and water is made of neutrinos.

As to your last point, the modders will likely have that figured out within the next 6 months.

As to quest line structure. My main problem with it in Skyrim, is that well, it's kind of too epic, too soon. The only line I've done to completion is the Companions, which I've been told strikes a balance between the way too epic of the Mages guild, and the Epic of the Thieves Guild.

It still has this utterly incomprehensable habit of removing player choices.

Allow me to give you an example, in the great houses, in Morrowind, you are given a choice, once you reach the requisite rank, of, do you want to be part of the governing council of the house, or do you want to lead that council. And the leadership role lead to about 3 more quests, as you killed or coerced people into joining your side.  This is an example of giving the player choices, that oblivion and skyrim lack.

In terms of the quest structure. It lacks the buffer that Morrowind and even Oblivion had that enabled the shock of each twist to set in. In the Mages guild in Morrowind, the guild master is a spy and a general no nothing twart, and no that doesn't need spoiler tags the games been out for 10 fucking years.  You find this out, and then you are sent to, rather than confront the fool like an idiot, gather support. It enabled you to feel a connection, to the plot, to the general world, and to the game.

Lemme give you an example of a similar moment in the companions questline. "Hey, we're asking you to become a werewolf in secret. We like your style and are going against our de jure leader, to bring you into the fold. Accept or deny, we'll not think any less of you."  "deny" "OK we'll wait." and now(caps are for emphasis, not for yelling) YOU CANNOT PROCEED ON THE QUEST LINE. YOU CANNOT TAKE ANY RADIANT QUESTS. FINALLY YOU CANNOT TELL THE DE JURE LEADER ABOUT THESE PEOPLE. UNTIL YOU BECOME A WEREWOLF. BECAUSE CHUH, WEREWOLVES ARE COOL.

Here's an option, let me do radiant quests, and do the quest to get a head for the de jure leader, but each time I come back into town from each radiant quest, have these two werewolves attempt to drive me into a rage, badger me with conversations and requests for random shit, like 30 forks. Don't let me do the retribution and fighting the silver hand quests until I become a werewolf. Also basically haze the shit out of me until I go werewolf. Hell you don't even have to be that obvious. Have quests trickle out incredibly slowly. Until I become a werewolf. Have them inform me that they are basically using their influence to shut down my progress in the companions, until I become a werewolf. Have them have people send me on illegal missions that basically give me bounties in the other cities, until I become a werewolf. Give me options beyond a binary, gain a shitty power, continue on quests. Or don't gain a shitty power and be stalled completely in a questline.

That's without pointing out the logic of, this person has done at most 4 missions for the companions before becoming a werewolf and joining the circle. What about epic Australian dark elf(Only reason I legitimately purchased this game, heard him off in the corner during a lets play, and had to find out what he was.)? When's he gonna get the secret decoder ring. He's been here longer than I have, probably shown more dedication that this cultured and refined not fur wearing* female Breton ever has. What about the man that Vignar saved from the drink? What about Vignar is he circle? That's never elaborated upon.

*Coincidentally I did eventually start wearing fur after completing the questline, but that's because Saviors hide is good for when I face off with mages. I have a suit of equipment that gives me 100% magic resistance when combined with the bretons natural resists(25% from race, 20% from ring, 20% from amulet, 15% from armor, 20% from shield). Which somehow still translates into getting one shotted on master difficulty by every mage. Despite being supposedly immune to magic at that point. At least I'd assume that's what 100% magic resistance means.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: November 23, 2011, 03:05:03 am »

Magic resistance does not protect you from elemental damage, nor has it for a very long time (if ever).

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: November 23, 2011, 03:17:47 am »

Really? I thought I was near the end of the main quest, and she hasn't been involved at all. (I keep going and doing other things because every mission for everyone sends you across the map, so it takes a long time to finish anything since I'm doing everything (well, not everything) slowly.)

She was at the Thalmor party, she wasn't very important, but she did saw she has extensive dealing with them.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: November 23, 2011, 03:19:53 am »

Magic resistance does not protect you from elemental damage, nor has it for a very long time (if ever).

Daggerfall, spell absorption and magic resistance were utterly broken. I've been playing a lot of it recently so that probably explains the confusion. Still when near as I can tell all of the spells a mage uses against you are elemental, that makes the bretons spell resist bonus kind of moot. In that, what can it do? Doesn't do really anything. Why even include spell resist at all?

There's no burden spells like there were in Morrowind. There's no.. You know what let me look up the destruction spells on UESP. Yep... ALL OF THEM ARE ELEMENTAL. Let me look for spells in other schools that would have potential to have an effect on the player. Let's nothing in illusion, players can't be effected by illusion spells anyway, it's very hard to give AI packages to the PC in the elder scrolls engine. Paralyze, a spell I've never seen any mage use. So my spell resistance, protects me, from exactly ONE spell. That none of the NPCs seem to use. Really classy game design. Really classy game design. Hang on, I MAY, and this is a MAYBE be able to grind Alteration with it, because it would render me immune to the Equilibrium spells effect. MAY, I don't have enough care to try out the magic, so I can't say. It's quite likely bethesda has scripted it so that it comes out automatically as the cost of the spell.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: November 23, 2011, 03:29:06 am »

as usual, there is a potion to resist all elemental damage. anyone with alchemy 100 care to test how much it defends?

it's bone meal + hawk beak + snowberries

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: November 23, 2011, 03:31:33 am »

The last NPC to try to paralyze me was ... The King of Worms, in Oblivion, and he failed miserably.

I was assuming that this shield and amulet of magic resistance were actually doing something, rather than being totally superfluous. If they ARE useless, I might as well upgrade from elven to a glass shield.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: November 23, 2011, 03:35:41 am »

Oh lord, the Draugr Deathlord's Shout disarm attack is a nasty thing. He used it on me while we were fighting on the second story of a room and blew my Dwarven Sword of Devouring (standard attack + 15 health absorb) over the edge and down to the bottom where I couldn't get it without running by him AND hurting myself by falling.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:39:12 am by Jacob/Lee »

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: November 23, 2011, 03:48:03 am »

Coincidentally I did eventually start wearing fur after completing the questline, but that's because Saviors hide is good for when I face off with mages. I have a suit of equipment that gives me 100% magic resistance when combined with the bretons natural resists(25% from race, 20% from ring, 20% from amulet, 15% from armor, 20% from shield). Which somehow still translates into getting one shotted on master difficulty by every mage. Despite being supposedly immune to magic at that point. At least I'd assume that's what 100% magic resistance means.
According to the UESP, magic resistance works against elemental damage but it's capped at 85% reduction.  Armor damage reduction is capped at 80%.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: November 23, 2011, 03:49:26 am »

How much armor does thou have?

365, one for each day of the year

(Ebony mail [ZE MUFFLE AND COOL EFFECTS] + dragon bone ghetto armor)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: November 23, 2011, 04:21:53 am »

I remember in morrowind if you chose brenton and got the cuirass of the saviors hide, you'd be immune to magic. ALL magic.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: November 23, 2011, 04:29:36 am »

Oh lord, the Draugr Deathlord's Shout disarm attack is a nasty thing. He used it on me while we were fighting on the second story of a room and blew my Dwarven Sword of Devouring (standard attack + 15 health absorb) over the edge and down to the bottom where I couldn't get it without running by him AND hurting myself by falling.
That is awesome. What good fight doesn't involve at least one dramatic disarm? :D
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 896