Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558565 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2520 on: November 23, 2011, 09:50:55 pm »

I love the internets

Was hoping Fus Ro Dah became a meme, but this game is so full of potential memes
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: November 23, 2011, 10:07:33 pm »

Do you sparkle?

No, but I look really scary (Technically I look scary no matter what because I'm wearing Krosis) and have togglable night vision and free zombies.  It sounds like I'm going to gain powers the longer I go without feeding like Cyrodiilic vampires, so we'll see what else I get.
Shoes...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: November 23, 2011, 10:09:27 pm »

I find plenty of salt, but need to stop wasting it on cooking useless crap like 2 lb chunks of meat that heal you for 10 hp.  I've decided to stop picking up food altogether.  It's all worthless unless you cook it, you can't cook anything without salt, and I'd rather save that for alchemy.  Another thing I hope modders will diversify, along with adding a slight survivalist element in making it actually required to eat once in a while.

Once the Creation Kit gets released, I'm hoping to do a food overhaul as a part of a "Survival Mode" mod. While raw food would more or less remain weak potions, all prepared food would specialize in giving small, passive stat-regen buffs (or increasing stats such as move speed, skill learning rate, or carry capacity) that linger for many game-hours. Additionally, not eating enough (roughly determined by weight of food consumed; ~2 lbs per 8 game-hours) would impose a growing Stamina regeneration penalty, until stamina stopped regenerating altogether. I'd like it to eventually be deadly as well, but I need to come up with an immersive way to handle it, which still gives players a chance to remedy it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: November 23, 2011, 10:12:16 pm »

I'd like it to eventually be deadly as well, but I need to come up with an immersive way to handle it, which still gives players a chance to remedy it.

If your stamina remains at 0 for a certain period of time, you die?  Or perhaps you just pass out and wake up in your nearest home if you have a follower or other friendly NPCs in the vicinity?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: November 23, 2011, 10:12:53 pm »

That sounds exactly what like I was gonna do Soli. Though I was just gonna make the food more new vegas like without the survivaly stuff.

Sweetrolls should totally make you a teeny tiny bit faster. Sugar ruuuushh.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: November 23, 2011, 10:46:41 pm »

Just, for starvation... a long time. It takes a long time for a person to actually die of starvation. Well over a week in most cases, from what I understand.

Most games with food seem to have the player apparently infested with a massive colony of tapeworms, or something. It gets annoying :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: November 23, 2011, 10:50:16 pm »

Yeah, I'm a sucker for survival mods... hoping to put together something that elegantly handles food, sleep, expanded wound/fatigue effects, and climate-based dangers. I want to follow the core design philosophy used in Skyrim, encouraging the player to eat, sleep, and seek shelter by rewarding them for it, but penalizing them if they ignore them for too long. Still lost on how to handle sheltering against the weather and cold, without making it just a punishment, or too tedious.

Odds are this would include placeable objects related to survival as well, such as bedrolls and cookpots. A unit of firewood could be consumed to place a temporary campfire, at which a cooking pot could be created (with a suitable iron pot). Eventually, these fires would burn down into cinders, which could be reignited with more firewood. If left alone they will eventually despawn, and any attached cooking pots would be rendered inactive. In addition to providing light, campfires/cinders might also ward off negative effects from sleeping out in the cold.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: November 23, 2011, 10:53:44 pm »

... mages get a campfire spell? Host of survival-related utility spells would be kinda' awesome. Makes sense that a mage with two braincells to rub together would come up with some comfort providing magic at some point or another.

That's another one of those near-immersion breakers, actually. Bugger can spew fiery death over a mile radius of countryside, but not light a campire? What? Did I take a idiot-savant flaw for destruction magic at some point?
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: November 23, 2011, 10:54:51 pm »

... mages get a campfire spell? Host of survival-related utility spells would be kinda' awesome. Makes sense that a mage with two braincells to rub together would come up with some comfort providing magic at some point or another.

That's another one of those near-immersion breakers, actually. Bugger can spew fiery death over a mile radius of countryside, but not light a campire? What? Did I take a idiot-savant flaw for destruction magic at some point?

I am probably the only person who actually wants to summon the warm fire or bed everything someone asks him to jokingly.

Though from what I know of Conjuration that would be somewhat impossible.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: November 23, 2011, 10:57:23 pm »

Summon flame atronach. Sit boy, sit. Ta-da, campfire.
Ask not!
Ask!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: November 23, 2011, 11:01:40 pm »

By the lore, I don't think a mage could summon/bind a Daedra into a campfire... and though I bet a Daedric Bedroll would look hella cool, it seems a bit silly. Also, sustaining a magical campfire would consume Magicka... though starting one on flammable material like logs seems sensible enough, I figured I'd cut the fire-starting process to keep it streamlined. Assume your character keeps flint and tinder in their pockets if you don't have fire spells to start it with.

NINJA'd:
Summon flame atronach. Sit boy, sit. Ta-da, campfire.

Well, there IS always that, but you run the risk of earning the enmity of your Bound Campfire, and having it murder you in your sleep.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: November 23, 2011, 11:03:48 pm »

Maybe once stamina stops regenerating health stops regenerating too, or you can't heal yourself until you eat some food.

Food would definitely be a good idea, seeing as currently there's absolutely no reason to ever cook aside from the achievement, and someone needs to implement fletching once it's possible.  There's some hints in the .ini files that fletching was planned and partially implemented, but we really need it.  Every glass or elven arrow I fire takes a little piece of my soul with it, because they're so rare and there's no way to get a good stock of them.

Still better than Morrowind though.  Glass and ebony arrows in Morrowind cost thousands of gold a piece.  Ahnassi gave me a stack of ebony shurikens as a token of affection (Read: She wanted my Daedric Spear of Procreation) I was like "damn, there's no way I'm ever going to be able to bring myself to throw one of these at something."  It's like trying to kill somebody by dropping Lamborghinis on them with a crane.

Faux-edit:  Soul gems can empower mundane objects with magical properties and have been demonstrated in Skyrim to be able to manifest magical effects without an associated item (The soul gem traps you see occasionally in ruins).  Maybe someone could add some Enchantment-school spells that use soul gems as reagents and do stuff like create magical campfires with no wood.
Shoes...

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: November 23, 2011, 11:10:10 pm »

I think that normal food should give you bonuses not unlike your spouses shitty cake, some would last longer, some would be shorter, but the point being that survival isn't much of a deal, you just eat once in a while and that's it... I can see why it's not implemented. Maybe if time was longer to pass, then eating out of need + bonuses and getting a nap would really be worth it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: November 23, 2011, 11:11:30 pm »

Just, for starvation... a long time. It takes a long time for a person to actually die of starvation. Well over a week in most cases, from what I understand.

Most games with food seem to have the player apparently infested with a massive colony of tapeworms, or something. It gets annoying :-\

Part of the problem here is you're considering the effects of starvation alone.  Yes, that takes a long time.

But then factor in the exertions and frequent woundings of your character.  A person going through these ordeals needs to eat a lot more frequently, or the effects will be more drastic.  Also, cold weather massively boosts your metabolism.  You have to burn a ton of energy to maintain your body temperature.

Plus, it takes less than a week of zero food for you to become basically helpless, at which point you've lost the game unless some NPC is going to nurse you back to health.

Finally, do you keep track of how much time is passing in-game?  A week goes by fairly quickly.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: November 23, 2011, 11:14:22 pm »

Yep for example if your working heavily and it is hot it can take less then a single day for you to, for example, dehydrate and die.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 896