Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1559100 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2580 on: November 24, 2011, 06:41:43 am »

after a certain bartering skill friendly npc started cutting prices back to hating/noob level prices

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: November 24, 2011, 06:44:15 am »

I'm not talking about broken games etc, I'm commenting on the fact that people expect modders to do amazing things and I don't think thats right. Mods should be seen as a bonus, we can't just assume theres going to be a ton of game changers/balancer coming out as soon as the kit is released. Modders mod for their enjoyment, they dont get paid and it takes time, think about the length of time it took to release and balance the main mods oblivion, and then the extra amount of time it took to make each mod compaitable with other mods.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: November 24, 2011, 06:46:55 am »

I encountered something similar here, when you do a shout that increases your attack speed, and then save while it's in effect, then load, you will end up with your sword moving at super slow speed.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: November 24, 2011, 06:52:41 am »

I'm not talking about broken games etc, I'm commenting on the fact that people expect modders to do amazing things and I don't think thats right. Mods should be seen as a bonus, we can't just assume theres going to be a ton of game changers/balancer coming out as soon as the kit is released. Modders mod for their enjoyment, they dont get paid and it takes time, think about the length of time it took to release and balance the main mods oblivion, and then the extra amount of time it took to make each mod compaitable with other mods.

I don't have any expectations about mods in general, I just hate that mods I happen to like then grow out of control. Older version of obscuro overhaul are very hard to find these days, and the new version is a bloated mess. I've no expectation him to mod the game to my liking, but without some of those mod that now can't be located no more oblivion can be either an incomplete game or a bloated mess, while there was that happy fun fun timeframe on which mod were just about right to fix up glaring leveling problems without changing the game to another thing altogether.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: November 24, 2011, 08:23:01 am »

I'm not talking about broken games etc, I'm commenting on the fact that people expect modders to do amazing things and I don't think thats right. Mods should be seen as a bonus, we can't just assume theres going to be a ton of game changers/balancer coming out as soon as the kit is released.
It's a TES game. We all play it to just to kill time until the mods come out.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: November 24, 2011, 08:31:56 am »

Not people who play on consoles.
*Hugs*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: November 24, 2011, 08:34:53 am »

I don't think any other game can claim to be so successful purely because of the modding fan base.

Without mods, TES games are exceptionally large, terribly balanced and conceived RPGs. Skyrim might be the least so out of all of them, but that's because it's also the least PC driven game out of all of them.

So yeah. If there's one game where I think it's ok to expect the world of modders, its TES games. Because without the modding, I wouldn't have bought anything after Fallout 3. Oblivion I bought for the looks, and learned my lesson, and FO3 I bought for the IP...and learned my lesson. Fallout NV I bought because I knew mods would completely change it. And they did. Morrowind was the one and only TES game I bought and enjoyed purely on what was offered. I'll never likely do that again.

Not people who play on consoles.

To them it's just a console game. It sits right next to God of War, GTA and Dead Island.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: November 24, 2011, 08:36:43 am »

* The Merchant Of Menace plays on console.
*Hugs*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: November 24, 2011, 08:38:26 am »

I hate how mod develops. they start with the functionality you like and then WHAMMM they become total conversions with ton of useless stuff added that's so much out of scope it makes your head spin.

This is why I often hate unofficial patches too. They change things that weren't meant to be changed often unbalancing the game.

Skyrim might be the least so out of all of them

Less unbalanced then Daggerfall?

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: November 24, 2011, 08:46:33 am »

Unlimited Sprint:

Do a sprint-charge attack, where the animation is that you jump at the end, and keep swinging. You'll sprint for eternity, till you stop attacking for 3 seconds or so.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: November 24, 2011, 08:48:21 am »

Maybe? Skyrim is still an unbalanced game but it's closer to a nice, self-contained RPG because it's done away with all the flexibility from older games that could make it even easier to break the game. (But were perhaps the best and most RPG parts of the games.)

* The Merchant Of Menace plays on console.

Sorry. I just draw a sharp distinction between Fable, which has about 4 years worth of dust on it next to my Xbox, and Oblivion, which I reinstalled for shits, giggles and modding about 2 years ago. One is a fun romp that will never be more than it is on the disc. The other is something I can come back to and find a different game every few years.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: November 24, 2011, 09:04:25 am »

i kinda want skyrim to be about... 4x4x12 times bigger. really, the world is tiny. there are about 400 people living in all of skyrim. possibly less!
the mountains are about 100m high. i was happy when i heard that there was a 7000 steps stair, but it went up and down for half of the time.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: November 24, 2011, 09:11:30 am »

i kinda want skyrim to be about... 4x4x12 times bigger. really, the world is tiny. there are about 400 people living in all of skyrim. possibly less!
the mountains are about 100m high. i was happy when i heard that there was a 7000 steps stair, but it went up and down for half of the time.

I find it hillarious how few houses are often in entire cities or towns.

It is like they are stealing from Pokemon.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: November 24, 2011, 09:15:39 am »

You know  - playing as a mage i feel like "unfinished".
I really miss all the non-combat magic. In Skyrim you are more of a Battlemage rather then Wizard.

Where all the non-combat spells gone?
Levitate? what about freefall? what happend to jump spell? Open/Close Locks spell? Cats Eye's and Light spell that last for longer then a silly 60sec. Elementa Ressist Buffs.
I remember from P'n'P rpgs that my biggest passion for magic was not that i can blow up a whole village but that i can do common actions... but with magic, and enhanced. My fellow fried trying to light up a campfire or a torch in the middle of rain, and i just shot my fingers and kazaam - theres the light. Conjuring magical horse, walk on water, breath in water, lift objects with my magic, control the wather  - summon blizzard, rain, sunny sky - just for the heck of it, because i can. Place magical forcefiel, make animals not run away from me...
sorry, been day dreaming again.

The point is - Skyrim lacks the "ambient" spells. Magic that doesnt benefits them directly in combat or game. Just make couple of things easier. Theres literaly one such spell in Skyrim. its that ore transmutation spell. I rarely use it - but i am very glad i can. Skyrim wizards looks more like a character from first person shooter and spells more like guns.

Argh, when the hell they finaly launch moddding tools??? >.<

I feel the exact same way.  When I became archmage, I realized that I hadn't cast a single spell beyond "point at what you want to die".  I hadn't advanced the study of magic in any way, or solved any mysteries or problems that would require magical expertise.  Somehow, I had become the archmage not by proving that I could benefit the College, but because my superiors wanted to reward me for having a great aptitude for killing.  Then I realized who I was.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As far as magic goes, I'd say I agree with most of it. It needs more utility spells. But a lot of those seem to have been rolled into shouts and are excluded because, duplicating features, 1 thing can do what another thing can do. THE HORROR.

Apart from Etheral Form and Hey Skeever Butt there doesn't seem to be much actual utility with shouts.  I was expecting whirlwind sprint to at least add something to the game, but the shout and the level design conspire so that you can't use it to do anything interesting like you could with the mobility skills from Daggerfall, Morrowind, and even Oblivion.  The others just feel like generic offensive magic.

There are few games out there that are more unbalanced than Daggerfall.  It can be broken on the character selection screen if you know what you're doing.

*edit: one of the quotes was incorrectly attributed
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 05:14:58 pm by Microcline »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: November 24, 2011, 09:24:43 am »

There are few games out there that are more unbalanced than Daggerfall.  It can be broken on the character selection screen if you know what you're doing.

^ wrong quote, I wasn't the one that said that.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 896