Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550216 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2700 on: November 26, 2011, 02:09:19 am »

What in hell is Irish elk doing in skyrimland?

P.S. That's your answer, alway. Those aren't real deer. They're not real elk. They could make a sound like an accordion masturbating and it'd still be accurate, because they don't actually exist. Those are creatures called whatever the linguistic equivalent to 'deer' is in whatever language they're actually being referred to in -- certainly not English (Where the hell is England in the TES universe?). They're making the right sound, because that's what sound whatever breed of animal those things are make.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: November 26, 2011, 02:35:42 am »

Ah, okay, that makes at least some sense.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: November 26, 2011, 02:46:42 am »

In skyrim everything is bigger.  The Deer are bigger, the mudcrabs are bigger, the beards are bigger, the mountains are bigger,some of the people are bigger, even the lizards are bigger.  It's kinda like Texas.  Except with doofyer looking hats and frozen 400 days of the year.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: November 26, 2011, 02:59:40 am »

I found the Lord Stone, the other day, and it's pretty cool : it gives 50 damage reduction and 25% magic resist ! Coupled with my breton blood (25% magic resist), a 20% magic resist on my shield and a 20% magic resist on my new amulet, i take only 10% magic damage (it's a bit overkill, but previously i always had trouble with spellcasters and dragon breaths, as in "they dropped me from full to 20% hp in seconds"). Oh and on the note of dragon breaths, have you noticed how effective the ward spells are against those ? It's just a bit tedious to switch, but maybe it deserves it's hotkey.

Also i noticed that giants give me way more skill xp than, say, bandits. At some point i was blocking a giant's attack and i saw my blocking skill going up. I blocked a couple more attacks and it went up again. And again. And then my heavy armor went up. So, I guess they make good sparring partners if you can take the heat. Maybe i'll pick up some dull weapon later, and bash at them to increase my one-handed skill (which has really fallen behind my other skills). I might even train skills that i don't use, to increase the difficulty again (now that i have proper Ebony equipment made with 100 smithing and 100 enchant, it's getting a bit too easy compared to my old Orcish set).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 03:02:06 am by Sirian »

irbis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: November 26, 2011, 03:10:53 am »

I am stuck trying to find a place I found when I was low level and had to run away from because I was overloaded.  I am sure it's a nordic stytle place found through a cave of somesuch which has got me zero leads so far.  Maybe I was imagining it...

Also everytime I think I have found all of the places in an area I have a look and there is another that I somehow missed before, exploring everywhere is taking a while with all this retracing of steps.
tell me about it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
i am nicely suprised how "deep" and rich the game is made. its just a shame that to fast level progression and world scalling is runing it =\

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: November 26, 2011, 03:27:52 am »

Is polygamy possible? I want a wife for every town to make me income.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: November 26, 2011, 05:46:16 am »

example of elk bugling, for those who haven't heard it before: http://soundbible.com/957-Elk.html
Okay, that is genuinely disturbing. They're like angry ghost whales or something. Maybe screeching land eels.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: November 26, 2011, 08:18:29 am »

example of elk bugling, for those who haven't heard it before: http://soundbible.com/957-Elk.html
Okay, that is genuinely disturbing. They're like angry ghost whales or something. Maybe screeching land eels.

You've never heard it before? I find it wonderfu-oh dear god, what are they doing to those Elk?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Saurus33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: November 26, 2011, 08:37:53 am »

Has anyone found a level-scaling removal mod? I have checked all the large sites which come up in "skyrim mod" on google for one but I am out of luck.

And before anyone says anything, I know that the level scaling is more like Fallout 3 than Oblivion and you will still progress and find things easier or harder depending on your level. I detest level scaling, and used a mod which removed it in Fallout 3. I probably won't play this game at all for lack of it's removal, which is sad, since apart from the scaling it seems interesting.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: November 26, 2011, 08:58:07 am »

I have figured out what annoys me the most about Skyrim. At first it was just a niggling little thing, but it has grown into a monstrous voice shouting at me every time I see it. The elk are deer and the deer are elk (and deer are also sometimes moose). D:

I mean really, who the hell named those things?!? At first I could've let it go as just a niggling little thing with misnamed models... But then, when hunting in the wilderness, I got close to a "deer" and it made the characteristic elk bugling sound!
GRAH!

Well, while I have only done some hunting in passing, to me it seems like every model has an instance named "elk", but only the model for what you Americans (I think you are American, right?) call elk is also named deer. It seems they got confused about whether to use the American naming or the right one traditional European one, so they ended up using both on a few models. You see, I don't know if you know this or not, but over here what you call moose is called elk (or elch, elg, älg, and so on, depending on language) and what you call elk would be called a kind of deer (Wapiti Deer to be exact). The American immigrants got their elks confused, you see, and somehow thought this looked more like this than, well, this ;)

edit: Well, I thought of doing some more research-hunting since I'm not very sure about what name goes with which model, but I think I'd rather just wait for the CS. We can see all the models and creatures and what they're called there.

2e:
Has anyone found a level-scaling removal mod? I have checked all the large sites which come up in "skyrim mod" on google for one but I am out of luck.

And before anyone says anything, I know that the level scaling is more like Fallout 3 than Oblivion and you will still progress and find things easier or harder depending on your level. I detest level scaling, and used a mod which removed it in Fallout 3. I probably won't play this game at all for lack of it's removal, which is sad, since apart from the scaling it seems interesting.

Won't happen until the CS is out, probably, and probably not at once. At least no decent one.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:01:05 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: November 26, 2011, 09:40:44 am »

OFF TOPIC

Reinstalled Morrowind and it's expansions, any mods you guys can recommend? Also, no 'Adults' Only' mods, just standard graphical/gameplay/whatever mods.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: November 26, 2011, 09:48:31 am »

Won't happen until the CS is out, probably, and probably not at once. At least no decent one.
Can I ask what the point is, this goes over my head in reasoning so I don't understand the difference of having it and not having it...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: November 26, 2011, 10:00:10 am »

OFF TOPIC

Reinstalled Morrowind and it's expansions, any mods you guys can recommend? Also, no 'Adults' Only' mods, just standard graphical/gameplay/whatever mods.

Morrowind Graphics Extender

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: November 26, 2011, 10:05:38 am »

Can I ask what the point is, this goes over my head in reasoning so I don't understand the difference of having it and not having it...

His question or my answer? My statement - It is a complicated procedure to remove all the scaling and I doubt it is possible without the CS. You need to replace levelled-lists and templates with static creatures and NPCs.

His question - He wants everything non-player to stay the same level all-throughout the game, so NPCs, items, and creatures will have the same stats and equipment all the time, but would probably be generally arranged as scaled-by-region instead (certain regions having higher level enemies, items, and so on). This, I assume, because it makes the players progression in the game world more noticeable and he would enjoy that more than the current system, where character progression isn't as obvious because as you level up, the rest of the world (or the pats of the world you haven't visited yet in Skyrim's system) levels up with you.
Love, scriver~

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: November 26, 2011, 10:24:05 am »

OFF TOPIC

A view visual mod that are for me default Morrowind :

Better Bodies , so the character body do not have those ugly seams, though unfortunately it makes the characters look a bit too "thin" for my vision of heroic fantasy standard in my opinion.
Don't worry about naked character, the installer has the option to keep the characters wearing underwears if you prefer.

Fuller/Buff bodies , personnal taste, for me it's a good workaround the "too thin/anorexic" feel of Better Bodies give to the characters in my opinion.

Vvardenfell Visages Volume I or Fresh Faces 2 (both are just great and difficult to me to choose one over the other) to replace the heads for much much better ones.

Animation Compilation , makes the animation a bit more natural and so more bearable than the stock ones.

Animated Morrowind 1 and  Animated Morrowind 2 , contribute a lot to immersion instead of having NPC just standing there.
Note : there is a Animated Morrowind Expanded apparently expanding on Animated Morrowind 1, but i never tried it

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 896