Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558321 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2715 on: November 26, 2011, 10:27:12 am »

OFF TOPIC

Reinstalled Morrowind and it's expansions, any mods you guys can recommend? Also, no 'Adults' Only' mods, just standard graphical/gameplay/whatever mods.

If you're primarily looking for graphical mods that make it look nicer, there's a nice Mod Compendium you can use, updated for 2011. Demo video here (download is in the descripion).

If you're looking more for content, the Tamriel Rebuilt team has been working to create the rest of the mainland of Morrowind, while remaining faithful to game lore new and old. The mainland is about 6 times the size of the island of Vvardenfell (the default Morrowind world), complete with new monsters, NPCs, dungeons, cities, and quests. I haven't installed their recent work, but it looked to be good overall. For kicks, you might also enjoy taking a look at their Hammerfell Artbook, which details the team's vision for Yokudan/Redguard culture. Speaking of which, I really hope we see the concepts they prepared for a Hammerfell mod in a new Skyrim project.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: November 26, 2011, 10:34:59 am »

My Morrowind lags terribly. Even with some performance-enhancing mods, I get half the FPS that I do on Oblivion.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: November 26, 2011, 10:41:40 am »

My Morrowind lags terribly. Even with some performance-enhancing mods, I get half the FPS that I do on Oblivion.
Thats a big problem with Morrowind. It wasn't very well optimized even for computers when it came out, much less on modern computers.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: November 26, 2011, 10:46:07 am »

Can I ask what the point is, this goes over my head in reasoning so I don't understand the difference of having it and not having it...

His question or my answer? My statement - It is a complicated procedure to remove all the scaling and I doubt it is possible without the CS. You need to replace levelled-lists and templates with static creatures and NPCs.

His question - He wants everything non-player to stay the same level all-throughout the game, so NPCs, items, and creatures will have the same stats and equipment all the time, but would probably be generally arranged as scaled-by-region instead (certain regions having higher level enemies, items, and so on). This, I assume, because it makes the players progression in the game world more noticeable and he would enjoy that more than the current system, where character progression isn't as obvious because as you level up, the rest of the world (or the pats of the world you haven't visited yet in Skyrim's system) levels up with you.
I see... But why would you want to have Level Set areas, That forces the game to be more Linear...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: November 26, 2011, 11:17:44 am »

You can still go to areas above your level if you want a challenge (or have overpowered yourself), or areas below your level if you're weak or want to just demolish a bunch of enemies.I don't see how it makes the game more linear, other than ensuring that you can actually overcome high-level challenges before giving great rewards (head of mages guild, etc).

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: November 26, 2011, 11:22:46 am »

I see... But why would you want to have Level Set areas, That forces the game to be more Linear...
Because as it is now, you go into anywhere, expecting to encounter equally hard(easy) mobs, loot equally bland loot, level up and make the bland loot crappier. repeat.

Removing the level scaling means that you might go into a rat infested mine and crush them under your foot, or enter a tomb with demons which will crush you under their foot.
This setups for a system that with higher risk you'll get better rewards. Alternative approaches due to lethal opponents and no random bandits that kicks dragon ass.

This was my main gripe with oblivion, and thus i came to a point where i did not want to level up.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: November 26, 2011, 11:30:26 am »

Because as it is now, you go into anywhere, expecting to encounter equally hard(easy) mobs, loot equally bland loot, level up and make the bland loot crappier. repeat.

Removing the level scaling means that you might go into a rat infested mine and crush them under your foot, or enter a tomb with demons which will crush you under their foot.
This setups for a system that with higher risk you'll get better rewards. Alternative approaches due to lethal opponents and no random bandits that kicks dragon ass.

This was my main gripe with oblivion, and thus i came to a point where i did not want to level up.

I also had this gripe on oblivion too. There was absolutely no point in getting a full set of daedric armor if your enemies are also wielding daedric weaponry on level 30. Instead of feeling powerful, you'd still feel the same as ever, getting a red, spiky upgraded version of steel armor.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: November 26, 2011, 11:34:54 am »

Bethesda actually acknowledged that fact in Morrowind and Oblivion, ever read the level up messages for getting to a high level?
*Hugs*

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: November 26, 2011, 11:46:05 am »

Is it possible to be both a vampire and a werewolf at the same time?

Nope. Becoming a werewolf clears you of vamprism, and also makes you immune to disease (including porphyric haemophilia or whatever it's called now).

is there still a weakness to disease effect, like there was in oblivion? If there is, you might actually be able to get both..

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: November 26, 2011, 11:54:15 am »

Besides what the other people said, this is what I feel is the strongest argument for it - while you might say it makes the game world/story more linear, it makes character progression (skill-wise) less linear. As you probably know, TES games has always been broken in a certain way, due to their learn-by-doing system, or rather, due to combining such a mechanic with levels and level-scaling. Because when you increase a few skills, you level up, and the game thinks you are more powerful, even though the skills you increased was Speechcraft, Pick-Pocketing and Cow-Tipping. The game then makes the enemies harder as a countermeasure, even though the character has not become more powerful in practice. Do this for a few levels, and enemies in areas were you previously had no problem are suddenly impossible to beat. This flaw in the system forces the player to progress in a certain way, and always remember to keep training up at least one offensive skill.

With a system were game difficulty isn't scaled to PC-level but by region, this won't happen. A player can merrily go about playing a magician focusing in any of the schools other than Destruction, or a thief that puts less focus on the combat skills and more on the actual stealth and thievery, without fear of the game getting waaaay ahead of him.
Love, scriver~

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: November 26, 2011, 12:43:25 pm »

I really want the Construction Kit D;. Any leads on that yet?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: November 26, 2011, 12:45:51 pm »

Am I reading this right: You want to change how it works, without actually trying it first?

I'm not encountering a whole lot of scaling, besides the random dragons. Most of the bandits I run into remain the weak bandits. I've run into one group of extremely dangerous bandits, who fired arrows that killed me in two hits, but I was able to take them out (mainly by Shouting them off the mountain), and then I invaded their fort and killed everyone inside as well (who were mostly warrior-bandits instead of archers).

At first I thought "Hey, I just hit level 30, must be level scaling throwing super bandits at me!" but then after beating them, I kept playing and lo and behold, I was back to running into wimpy normal bandits (and wolves) who I could kill effortlessly. *shrugs* So it was probably just a high-level area.

I have noticed that instead of normal bears I run into cave bears, and I meet ice wolves (but I still run into lots of regular wolves, that I kill in one hit each - maybe it has something to do with what region of Skyrim I'm in?), and the random dragons have gone from all being normal dragons at low levels to frost dragons, but I think you can find any particular kind of dragons at a location where they're supposed to be, since I ran into a higher-level dragon than that (and killed it) once as well (many levels ago) before fighting my first frost dragon, and I just killed a normal dragon south of Riften since the guards in town were freaking out about it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 12:47:36 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: November 26, 2011, 12:59:32 pm »

I still don't find the loot system really satisfying, I just went in a lair of bandits, they were all equipped with steel weapons and leather armor. I found 2 pieces of glass armour and 3 ebony maces and one ebony dagger lying around their lair(ie not inside any container). Maybe they're too valuable and they keep them as their treasures instead of using them? :p

It's better than Oblivion but they still haven't nailed it imo.

As a side note, I stumbled onto a fort guarded by a master necromancer and a master elementalist, both equipped with a staff of fireball, I don't think I ever used as many health potions before.I felt like I was being bombarded with artillery fire.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: November 26, 2011, 01:00:49 pm »

I'm pretty sure the difficulty is already a bit scaled to region. Obviously not as much as you say you want though.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: November 26, 2011, 01:20:55 pm »

It definitely is, but not completely. Skyrim's is definitely an improvement over Oblivion's level-scaling, but it's still noticeable. Especially the levelled quest rewards :D
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 896