Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558719 times)

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2775 on: November 26, 2011, 07:23:32 pm »

One of my largest problems with this game is that there actually aren't all that many enemies. I haven't seen everything, but the map really does feel a little empty to me sometimes, especially if the oly thing i ever run into is giants, mammoths or trolls. Bandits are okay, but generic to say the least. I've never played Morrowind, both because the graphics make me wince a little and that I've yet to find a copy, but if it has even twice the number of enemies I want a remake in the Skyrim engine for sure.

Even then most of the enemies feel the same anyhow.

Several of them are the exact same enemy except that they look different.
Can I see a citation for that?  I know that there are a few creatures with similar stats (for instance Alits and Guar), but even then the lore makes them distinct (Guar are generally peaceful domestic beasts-of-burden while Alits are aggressive predators).  Compare a tomb in Morrowind to a tomb in Skyrim.  In Morrowind, you could expect to fight ghosts (weak melee but immune to normal weapons), skeletons (basic melee, basic offensive mage, and archer varieties), bonewalkers (melee with nasty stat draining effects), and bonelords (melee with shield spells), and if the family had the magical talent to bind daedra you could end up fighting anything from a clannfear to a dremora lord.  Compare this to Skyrim where the only thing you fight in any tomb are legions of identical draugr.

I do think that they got the creatures in the Dwemer ruins right, though.  The animations for the steam centurions are downright beautiful, and once they're modded so that they can't be staggered and can appear in groups or with backup they'll be appropriately terrifying.  It's just a shame that it was only once that Bethesda realized that a dungeon needs to have more than one type of enemy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: November 26, 2011, 07:32:39 pm »

Magic Errors and Ice Wraphs are surprisingly the exact same enemy except one uses ice effects.

This is ignoring upgrades

Wolves, Pitwolf, Icewolf, Familiar Wolf

Also I consider the ghosts to be a downgrade in Skyrim as opposed to Oblivion where they were an entirely seperate enemy type all to themselves.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:34:14 pm by Neonivek »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: November 26, 2011, 07:33:25 pm »

Can I see a citation for that?  I know that there are a few creatures with similar stats (for instance Alits and Guar), but even then the lore makes them distinct (Guar are generally peaceful domestic beasts-of-burden while Alits are aggressive predators).  Compare a tomb in Morrowind to a tomb in Skyrim.  In Morrowind, you could expect to fight ghosts (weak melee but immune to normal weapons), skeletons (basic melee, basic offensive mage, and archer varieties), bonewalkers (melee with nasty stat draining effects), and bonelords (melee with shield spells), and if the family had the magical talent to bind daedra you could end up fighting anything from a clannfear to a dremora lord.  Compare this to Skyrim where the only thing you fight in any tomb are legions of identical draugr.

I do think that they got the creatures in the Dwemer ruins right, though.  The animations for the steam centurions are downright beautiful, and once they're modded so that they can't be staggered and can appear in groups or with backup they'll be appropriately terrifying.  It's just a shame that it was only once that Bethesda realized that a dungeon needs to have more than one type of enemy.

Interestingly enough the Dwemer enemies all happen to be from Morrowind as well. Or well the spheres and centurions were both from Redguard originally but under different names, but still. The set of creatures I mean.
Love, scriver~

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: November 26, 2011, 07:45:32 pm »

Me on Staff of Magnus Quest:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyone else like this sometimes with those bastards? Bloody GIANTS are easier to kill, and one hit of them insta-kills me if I'm too close.

P.S. The most fun Shout in the game (IMO) makes you need to fight a Dragon Priest AND a Dragon. Ten to one the final boss battle will be easier than that.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:48:00 pm by Gamerlord »

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: November 26, 2011, 08:11:31 pm »

Magic Errors and Ice Wraphs are surprisingly the exact same enemy except one uses ice effects.

This is ignoring upgrades

Wolves, Pitwolf, Icewolf, Familiar Wolf

Also I consider the ghosts to be a downgrade in Skyrim as opposed to Oblivion where they were an entirely seperate enemy type all to themselves.
Sorry, when I quoted you I thought you were referring to the creatures of Morrowind.  Technically, I don't mind them reusing character models and scripts, especially for unique, one-time monsters.  I just don't like it when they use it to cover up an overall lack of content.

Also, I just found a thread about better endings for the Eye of Magnus questline.
I suspect that the second half of the questline was cut, but as I can't tell it's contents I can only judge the writing based on the first half.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: November 26, 2011, 08:14:03 pm »

Here is a question

Why can't the Aedra interact with the world?

I suspect that the second half of the questline was cut

Judging by the sheer amount of "Other world" references... Yeah they were probably planning on you going to the other realms or possibly back to Oblivion.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 08:19:40 pm by Neonivek »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: November 26, 2011, 08:20:15 pm »

Here is a question

It says in one of the books that since they created, they cannot change or something like that.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: November 26, 2011, 08:22:13 pm »

Here is a question

Main storyline of Oblivion, bro; Dragonfires.

Wait, that's Daedra, right?

Also on the topic of random encounters...

Oblivion: Wolf. Wolf. Wolf. Wolf. Bandit. Wolf. Wolf. Wolf. Bandit. Wolf. Bandit. Goblin. Wolf. Wolf. Wolf...

Skyrim: Dragon. Wolf. Wolf. Ice Wolf. Dragon. Ice Wraith. Dragon. Dragon. Bandit. Dragon. Dragon eating a bandit. Ice Wolf.
Skyrim Underground: Bandit. Daughr.  Bandit. Daughr.  Bandit. Daughr.  Bandit. Daughr.  Bandit. Daughr.  Bandit. Daughr.

Skyrim is much better than Oblivion, though, so I'm happy with that.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: November 26, 2011, 08:23:32 pm »

Here is a question

I guess Aedra can only interact with the world when dramatic stuff happens. Rembember the end of main quest in TES:Oblivion?
:P

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: November 26, 2011, 08:26:14 pm »

Here is a question

In the monomyth (the universal creation myth of the TES universe), the Aedra were tricked by Lorkhan into binding themselves into the creation of Mundus.  The Aedra became the Earth Bones, which can be approximated as the laws of physics of Nirn.  Because they are bound in this way, the Aedra have little power outside of their own domains.  However, they are still quite powerful as long as they are acting withing the scope of their (bound) abilities, such as Akatosh piecing together the timeline after a dragon break or kicking Merunes Dagon out of Nirn at the end to Oblivion to fulfill his pact with Alessia.  I suspect that I may have some things wrong and have oversimplified in some areas of this explanation, though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: November 26, 2011, 08:28:47 pm »

So basically the Daedra have more ability to act and are only limited by the interference between Oblivion and Tamriel?

---

Also have they ever explained why the Aedra Shrines only work for certain people and not for others?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 08:34:07 pm by Neonivek »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: November 26, 2011, 08:30:23 pm »

Morrowind: Nix-Hound, Shalk, Kwama, Cliff Racer, Nix-Hound, Cliff Racer, Kwama, Kagouti(Fuck!), Cliff Racer, Shalk, Cliff Racer, Cliff Racer, Alit, Cliff Racer

I almost forgot about the Kwama. Those things were so cool to encounter. Just finding a cave where people harvest eggs for food from massive bugs.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: November 26, 2011, 08:43:11 pm »

Here is a question

The short version, because I am on my phone: You know that thing we experience as time going forward? That's Akatosh "interacting" with the world. How people die and are reborn? Arkay. And so on. Aedra can't interact with mortals in the same way as Daedra, because Aedra are the world.
Love, scriver~

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2788 on: November 26, 2011, 08:43:49 pm »

So basically the Daedra have more ability to act and are only limited by the interference between Oblivion and Tamriel?
Exactly

Also have they ever explained why the Aedra Shrines only work for certain people and not for others?
Gameplay and story segregation.

Actually, I think that was only in Oblivion. In Morrowind the shrines grant a blessing to anyone who can pony up enough cash. Oblivion is the only game with that fame/infamy mechanic.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: November 26, 2011, 08:45:32 pm »

Skyrim also have shrines that can cure "all" diseases (except for two obvious ones).

Yet they obviously cannot be used by anyone else as evident by certain sections.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 896