Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558315 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2805 on: November 27, 2011, 02:00:05 am »

Wait, Slaughter fish are actually in the game? Because when I first started out I was scared to death of going in the water because of them, but realized there weren't actually any. Guess I just haven't been swimming in the ocean enough to encounter them.
Yeah, they removed that. Not that you do all that much diving, but still.

Wait, Slaughter fish are actually in the game? Because when I first started out I was scared to death of going in the water because of them, but realized there weren't actually any. Guess I just haven't been swimming in the ocean enough to encounter them.
Yeah, they are. Though most of them seem to be mounted on walls.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: November 27, 2011, 02:14:39 am »

Psh, this is Skyrim, not Half-Life 2.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: November 27, 2011, 07:01:03 am »

I find it odd how much Bethesda neglected the underwater segments, given that the Nords are based on a culture with a heavy tradition of seafaring fishermen and merchants.  It seems stranger still with Bethesda's declaration of shooting for "epic reality".  The ocean is far more "epic" and "real" than fighting the same goddamn dragon twenty times.  Morrowind's aquatic environments were a step in the right direction; they were full of hungry wildlife covered with teeth and natural armor but also served as a source of alchemy ingredients, sunken treasure, and unhindered travel routes.

With Skyrim, I was expecting something suitably "epic" with sunken treasure guarded by fantastic sea monsters.  When I first saw the northern ocean, I was scared to enter, remembering my first experiences with Morrowind's aquatic environments.  Then I found out that there was nothing in the water and that most of it was barely knee-deep.  You're supposed to look at how they textured the surface, but not go in it.

tl;dr: The aquatic environments in Skyrim are shallow and superfluous

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: November 27, 2011, 07:29:33 am »

Very funny.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: November 27, 2011, 07:31:20 am »

Very funny.

Intentional pun?

I think not.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: November 27, 2011, 07:37:25 am »

Unless they're in a dungeon. Then there's always "hey, something is down there!" Maybe it was supposed to make for better hidden loot, but since they can't have a knee-deep bond without "hiding" a chest down there, it gets pretty predictable. The one's where you actually have to go swimming underwater through tunnels still excite me though, even though I know you're probably going to be able to swim to the loot and back before you start dying, I still get all stressed up by the breath countdown. And no, I refuse to use water breathing potions. That would spoil the fun.
Love, scriver~

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: November 27, 2011, 09:48:00 am »

I have so many soul gems...  I wish I could use some of them to enchant some arrows, it would finally be a use for these thigns that just burn a hole in my carrying ability.  Say like a petty soul lets you enchant a handful of arrows with a basic magic damage or something, that would be fun and would make me want to pick up soul gems.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: November 27, 2011, 09:49:53 am »

Spoiler: Sunken Ship (click to show/hide)

Does anyone else alt-tab out of the game, then back in again to improve performance? I saw a random post somewhere about someone doing it and I'll say this- Best Performance Tweak(haha) Ever. Doing this stabilizes and nearly triples my frame rate.

No problem ;D.

Sometimes I'll enter a room and my FPS suddenly goes to 1fps. The FUCK? So I alt tab, problem fixed. >_<
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: November 27, 2011, 10:41:00 am »

I have so many soul gems...  I wish I could use some of them to enchant some arrows, it would finally be a use for these thigns that just burn a hole in my carrying ability.  Say like a petty soul lets you enchant a handful of arrows with a basic magic damage or something, that would be fun and would make me want to pick up soul gems.
Unless you have more money than you need. make/find crappy weapons and enchant them using anything lesser than greater stones

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: November 27, 2011, 10:43:27 am »

Unless you have more money than you need. make/find crappy weapons and enchant them using anything lesser than greater stones

Yep... an iron dagger enchanted with something from a petty gem can sell for 200-600 I've found. It's actually worth it to buy cheap weapons (like iron) early on and do that, or just buy iron ingots/leather strips, make the daggers, enchant them, and sell them. I got rich as hell doing that - currently sitting at ~55k and haven't bothered to loot anything that doesn't have at least a 40:1 value:weight ratio in like 15 levels.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: November 27, 2011, 10:50:30 am »

Speaking of value:weight ratio, there's a mod that shows that, and you can sort by it.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: November 27, 2011, 10:58:19 am »

I love some of the little things they add into the game.

Ever tried sneaking up to a Forsworn Briarheart? You can pickpocket the Briarheart, instantly killing him.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: November 27, 2011, 11:15:17 am »

Does anyone else alt-tab out of the game, then back in again to improve performance? I saw a random post somewhere about someone doing it and I'll say this- Best Performance Tweak(haha) Ever. Doing this stabilizes and nearly triples my frame rate.

No problem ;D.

Sometimes I'll enter a room and my FPS suddenly goes to 1fps. The FUCK? So I alt tab, problem fixed. >_<
Alt-Tabbing cause my screen to go Window like (has the frame), remain blackscreen, plays music, and cursor doesn't work when put anywhere near it. Lasts indefinitely... Pretty much screws my game over if I accidentally Alt-Tab when trying to Shift-Tab so I can check the forums and shit via Steams Webbrowser ability...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: November 27, 2011, 11:23:53 am »

I need to alt-tab it twice to get back into the game when I have alt-tab'd out of it.
Love, scriver~

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: November 27, 2011, 11:29:36 am »

Yup, pretty much.

Though I play windowed a lot which doesn't do that.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 896